If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Toddington...an observation

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Agreed. Is it any wonder that people associate anyone with an interest in railways as being on a par with 'Flat Earthers' ; those who believe that Elvis is still alive and living in Bolton; Aberdare or is shacked up with Princess Diana in a secret location in Box Tunnel.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not missing the point at all. >99% of the visitors will neither know nor care that the logo on the loco is not of the correct dimensions but if it so troubles the remaining <1% that they feel the need to whinge on the internet, then let them foot the costs. Just be thankful that the loco is a runner and will have cost the owner(s) many thousands of pounds to get it to this state and if they wish to have a larger then normal roundel then good luck to them I say.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Are people no longer allowed to comment or have an opinion unless they are actively involved then?

4. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    If the comment or opinion is constructive or informative then i would say yes, but if it is basically a poorly aimed and badly thought out comment about person(s) unknown then perhaps it should be kept to themselves.

Why do livery questions always bring out the worst in people? Personally (and as a past/current owner of items of heritage rolling stock and a loco) my view is if the owner of the restored locomotive, who will have invested many thousands of pounds already, wants to paint it sky-blue pink then that's their prerogative, if you don't like it put up with it, or at least offer to pay for the repaint!

5. Spamcan81

Training moles
    They can have an opinion of course but it does not mean anyone has to agree with it. It's one thing to point out that the logo is the wrong size but to then claim the railway "knows nothing of the GWR" and certain people would be "horrified" is hardly constructive and all rather pathetic IMO.

6. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Interesting to note that ex GWR locos with side tanks carried BR large or small logos of both styles. I dare say that a similar situation occurred with the large and small GWR roundel.
    Been investigating these Roundels. It appears there was only one size-small!

7. baldric

baldric Member

From memory there were 2 sizes of GWR roundel, 12" and 14", the smaller meant for tanks, the larger on tenders, although I would not be surprised if they got used on the wrong items. To my mind the 55 with the extra large roundel looks horrible, but it is up to the owner/painter what they want.

8. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Blimee, all this lost sleep over a bit of paint. I'm a bit worried if some of you knew all the other changes made to the loco we'd have a major outbreak of mass hysteria. Anyone noticed how well it goes and how much 'in demand' it is ? :)
    Cheers
    John

9. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

I was wondering, has there been any discussion about any future reopening of Weston Sub Edge, or the two halts at Laverton or Willersey?

I must admit I would like to see a replica of one of the original halts at least. They look not dissimilar to the numerous examples that once existed in the Stroud Valley.

10. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Has nobody ever heard of photoshop? Takes about 5 minutes to reduce the size of it you know.

11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I don't have the knowledge to comment on the details here but there is nothing at all in this posting I would quarrel with. The size of roundel is something that can be put right at leisure if so desired.

I suspect that attempts to recreate the past are foredoomed to get some details wrong. For example the Welshpool and Llanfair vintage train, which looks glorious, is painted in the elaborate immediate post Grouping GWR style. It is highly unlikely that "Countess" ever hauled the original vehicles, when they bore this livery, in her post rebuild state. However I doubt if anyone would wish the vehicles to be repainted in the less attractive later style for reasons of pedantry. The paintwork is of museum quality.

12. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Hmmm.... while I am not too deeply involved in the finer details of GWR (or any other) livery, I am a bit concerned about that attitude. Personally, I believe that a heritage railway has a certain museum aspect to it. To me that also means to restore anything to a condition it was in the past. An attitude of "I like that colour better than a historically authentic one, so I paint my loco/waggon/coach in that colour" does not do the preservation movement much favour when it comes to the museum aspect, so I prefer to get things right.

Christoph

13. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

For historical accuracy, ideally decisions like this would be made with reference to historical photographs of the original engine. Essentially you're dealing with a 1:1 scale model.

14. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I do actually agree with you on the historical accuracy element, but just making the point that it is just a coat of paint. It's also interesting that so many people get quite worked up about the accuracy of the livery on anything from one of the mainline companies but have absolutely no problems with the painting an industrial loco in any old fictitious livery and hang the historical accuracy because, after all, it's only an poxy little industrial bucket!

Just out of interest, what are peoples view on the current LT livery on Mr Parker's Prairie? Surely that must have raised more hackles than an oversized shirt button roundel?

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Can't say I'm keen on it but it's just another chapter in the history of the locomotive. After all, the loco's history didn't stop with its withdrawal by BR.

16. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think the air pump is more of a distraction than the livery,as it can always be repainted.

17. baldric

baldric Member

And the air pump can be removed if the owner wishes.

In all cases it is up to the owner to do what they want unless they are a registered museum then there may be some restrictions. The owner may decide to do something because they like it, it is correct or just because someone is paying them money, we may not like it but it is their engine, the same applies to any item of rolling stock, building, bridge, etc.

18. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

It's an interesting "might have been" - doesn't appeal to me, but I assume it's a temporary change.

19. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Although photoshop can be used for basic roundels, I think removing an air pump is beyond my ability. The only thing is to try to find an angle that hides it.