If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

To Europe For Steam

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Buckeye, Jun 3, 2020.

1. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Good to hear from you. On Fri. 8th we had a charter train with E114 from Mirandela to Braganca, some rode others linesided with the coach. After a look around the railway museum (still there I believe) we returned to Mirandela by bus and overnight. Although there was originally an option of returning to Oporto partly by train via Ermisinde ISTR everyone actually took the coach back to the airport via Amarante.
    My wife and I went back in 2001 and managed trips to Amarante and Villa Real shortly before th e n.g. closed. A bit sad really seeing the derelict Mallets around the t/t at Regua (just one now remains there). I hope you have a great time re-visiting Portugal and at least get a steam run on the Vouga line. I still have Nigel Menzies' 1990 tour report and will scan/send it to you as a p.m.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 9:59 AM
  2. KiwiGibbo

KiwiGibbo New Member

Hi Ray Thx for replying & so soon! :) Portugal was my only TEFS tour but I absolutely loved every moment of it ...alas I was headed home 'downunder' 3 months later. Bill really did a great job of that tour & clearly from comments in this thread his many other tours were equally well received. Yes please do PM Nigel's tour report would be great to re-visit the details ...thx for the offer, look forward to it! Must dig out my photos sometime too! I found a map I had from the tour & I only had Salsas to Bragnaca noted so I guess I maybe linesided from Mirandela to there, seems like a silly idea now :-(
    I'll be there in September with my wife, I've managed to convince her to tag along to the Ffestiniog Rly, Snowdon Mountain Rly, and the BlueBell Rly while we're in the UK but chances are there won't be much 'rail' to be had in Portugal ...poor deluded thing is more into gardens & esp. roses ...
    :Resistanceisfutile:

marshall5 likes this.
  3. Nimbus

Nimbus New Member

Hi.
    Ray has beaten me to it as I was going to offer to scan my original tour report and send you a copy. Glad to know that someone else has still got a copy. It was certainly a memorable tour; I know quite a few of my photos came out blurred or at an angle because of the quantity of wine consumed. My usable shots of the special to Braganca are on Flickr at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelmenzies/albums/72157671144227464/with/29923606301
    I'm now a volunteer at the Bluebell so might be able to show you around, although I have other visitors in October.
    All the best
    Nigel Menzies

Paul42 and marshall5 like this.
  4. marshall5

I've started a 'Conversation' and attached the scans. Please let me know if you don't get them.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

5. KiwiGibbo

KiwiGibbo New Member

Hi Nigel, thx for that link to your albums, enjoying going thru the photos... and spotting a few faces I remember. At this stage I'm likely to catch the train down from London to East Grinstead on Fri 27th September... only day that really suits... will be in touch closer to the time to see if you'll be available, would be great to catch-up & have a 'guide' :)

6. KiwiGibbo

KiwiGibbo New Member

Thx Ray ...I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't see any conversations... bit embarrassing given I'm in IT!

7. marshall5

Sorry about that - my error not yours. It should be there now. Recognise anyone in the photo?
    Cheers,
    Ray.
    TEFS Portugal 1990 group.jpg

8. KiwiGibbo

KiwiGibbo New Member

Do I recognise anyone ..well I feel I should say 'yes' but whilst I do recognise a few faces I don't remember the names.... I must be well hidden somewhere too! p.s. I still have the bag, in good nick still too!

9. KiwiGibbo

KiwiGibbo New Member

Hi Nigel, I read your tour report that Ray sent ...it is a great report & really enjoyed reading it, talk about fill in the blanks! It reminded me of many details I'd forgotten about such as what we did on 1st full day down in Aveiro and on the last full day the slip on the Tua line. I must thank you & Ray for your help in jumping in on this chat ...it was a long shot 34 years after the event but here we are! Loooking forward to getting down to the Bluebell and will let you know a few days before just in case you're available. Portugal trip version 2024 is coming together quite well ...not a lot of rail this time tho!
    cheers:)