If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Titfield Thunderbolt Project

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by lynbarn, Sep 27, 2016.

1. hyboy

hyboy New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just a reminder that the film is being shown this Thursday at the Clevedon Curzon , Organist introduction from 4pm. The Curzons first show in 1912 was a fundraiser for the survivors of the Titanic disaster earlier in the month. I will be taking along my cousin who is one of the dwindling few who appeared in the film and who can recall some priceless stories about how it was made. A marvelous opportunity to see many of the locations is provided by the Two Tunnels Circuit south from Bath. I have cycled this many times ,out via the S&D to Midford and back via the Titfield ( Monkton Combe) GWR branch and the Kennet and Avon towpath. In the space of about ten minutes you pass the farm where water was fetched, the cricket field and the bridge where the bus passes over the train. The latter two whilst riding along the tarmaced trackbed itself. In nearby Freshford , also used for Titfield scenes, I talked by chance to the wife of one of the cricketers in that memorable scene. I suppose, as ever, it's the first hand accounts that are most worthy of preservation ?

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe the project could use a motor vehicle chassis: it was a Bedford that was used to carry the replica which careered along the roads and fields finally crashing into a tree.
    Don't overlook loco 1401 which was also used in the film. She shares the fame even if sadly she no longer exists.

3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Its Simon Castens who owns Limpley Stoke station and operates the Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop (and wild swan publications) in Larkhall. Lovely chap and an old family friend.

4. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does he still own Limpley Stoke Corbs? Wasn't sure if he'd sold it.

5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Yes I am fairly certain he does.