If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Titfield Thunderbolt Project

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by lynbarn, Sep 27, 2016.

1. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have been following a discussion on Facebook about the Titfield Thunderbolt and a suggestion to set up a museum to the film with a rebuilt station and a bit of track in front of it to act as a stationary set

I am not sure if it is possible or would it be desirable. But I have a feeling this one could grow wings if the business plan was sensible and more important feasible.

The site of the station in the film is now part of a schools playing field so it would not get rebuilt on the exact site, but there is still quite a bit of interest in the film and the area.

I have suggested that if it was to happen, then it would need to be more commercially minded than a lot of possible other projects from the area.

I am not taking sides on this one, but just passing the information on to the NP members to discuss, so what do you all think.

2. hyboy

hyboy New Member

By a remarkable coincidence this film has just been advertised to be shown in a proper cinema , the Curzon in Clevedon on the 20th of October. This cinema is the oldest in the world and I understand the film will be shown with a cinema organist ! I have a DVD of the film but am looking forward to seeing it as it was supposed to be seen. This is possibly the last chance ? Details /Booking on the Curzon website : www.curzon.org.uk

3. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

So lets go south of Basingstoke, and recreate Buggleskelly in 'Oh Mr Porter'!

I love both films but a grip on reality is needed I suggest.

Cheers,
    Julian

lynbarn likes this.
  4. lynbarn

It has been suggested that it should also include a cafe, gift shop, and tourist information point as well, I am not sure if there is a suggestion to actually run a railway from it, but if there is, then that is a whole new game changer.

5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I absolutly love this film, but please no, it really would be something impossible to recreate, so please let's not even think of going there. Sorry to be blunt but my lords absolutly no way would this work. Where are you going to get your staff, you'll need locomotive drivers, firemen plate layers?

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

As a local initiative (rather than a preservation site) either this or the Oh Mr Porter idea would be a good idea. In Ireland Ballyglunin Station is being restored as it was the setting for the john Wayne film " The Quiet man" and it looks pretty good.

http://ballyglunin.com/

What I wouldn't give to get my hands on that loco and the coaches!

(there's something not right with that website, but you can get the idea.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  7. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I quite like the idea, but then I travel through Midford twice a day!

8. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Mr Taylor shall help you. Mr Taylor is a railway servant of long standing.

oddsocks and Anthony Coulls like this.
  9. Reading General

I think preserving a station for it's own sake could create a purer preservation image divorced from the playing trains element.

lynbarn likes this.
  10. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Where is Lion at the moment?
    If not on display publicly currently,that could be a part of any potential display.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

12. gwralatea

gwralatea Member

No, that's the Electric in Birmingham, well the oldest in the UK anyway (1909). Last time I checked Clevedon was also in the UK;) and the Curzon opened in 1912. The Curzon claims to be "one of the oldest", the Electric "the oldest."

That was a random digression even by NatPres standards - sorry!

13. lynbarn

Hi Matt I don't think the plan is to re instate the railway, as it would cost to much money, but to rebuild the station as a tourist and heritage center to mark the location might just work, there is a lot of interest in retro design and going back to a more genteel time.

Besides where would you get a spare 14xx to stand on a short bit of track in all weathers or a replica Lion for that matter?

Reading General likes this.
  14. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I know where I can get an engine, anytime I like! Sorry couldn't resist that, I think some sort of little mueseum wouldn't be a bad idea, it's a part of the area's local history, and I suppose if there's some track down you could maybe have a visit from 1450 in a few years time!

Charles Parry and paullad1984 like this.
  15. gwralatea

gwralatea Member

The Titfield Thunderbolt was a formative element in many enthusiasts' lives, but surely pretty well every scheme is a memorial to it (with the exception of course of the Talyllyn which was the inspiration for the film in the first place)? So I'm not sure what would be added by building a replica station, not on the site of the original, and then going on the usual beg/borrow of kit from elsewhere to stock it up.

If you want the atmosphere of a GWR branchline running from a large village into the bay platform of the local mainline station then from next year the Chinnor and Princes Risborough does that.* The Cholsey and Wallingford does it already, of course, but now the clothes lines are going up as far as Didcot it'll not be quite the same.

*Of course as a member I'm biased, but if you want to experience the atmosphere of the Titfield Thunderbolt just go to Chinnor - we even run past a cricket pitch.

16. Reading General

I agree a replica station not in the right place isn't as good as actually restoring an original station.

I think some of you are tripping yourself up by thinking of running trains, that's not the point at all.

What I think is being proposed is a station with a display within it about the film.

Incidently Cliddesden station still stood a few years ago as part of a coal yard and may still so. An "Oh Mr Porter" display there would make more sense if the original station survives and it's pretty near the MHR to get a visitor spin-off.

or was it Lasham and Bentworth? Anyway, google maps suggests it's gone. Looks like a building site now

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  17. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

The Somerset & Dorset at Midsomer Norton is already a small Heritage railway not too far away. I would have thought that this idea could be incorporated in their extension plans rather than set up another - probably competing - centre in the locality.
    Or is this idea, bearing in mind Liverpool is most unlikely to loan the Lion to them, just another WIBN reaction so frequent, I believe, to be found on F/Book.

18. gwralatea

gwralatea Member

Thaxted to Elsenham would be nice. Thaxted station, including the station buildings, engine shed, water tower and yard is all still there..... to Facebook...

19. gwralatea

gwralatea Member

I can't speak for everyone else, obviously, but I'm clear on that. I just don't actually see the point of what is being proposed, let alone running trains.

As a result of the film, heritage lines (and indeed standalone restored stations) already exist the length and breadth of the country. *That's* why there doesn't need to be something more specific.

If the group was campaigning to put up a blue plaque in the village, or near the station site, then I'd be fully on board. But I don't see the need to rebuild a GWR wayside station when GWR wayside stations are something we're not exactly short of.*

*as part of a line revival, eg GWSR, etc, fine; as a standalone attraction not so much.

20. Reading General

what film was made there though?