If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Thirteen Years Ago Today...The Devonian with 71000 Duke of Gloucester: 28th May 2007

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Julian Jones, May 28, 2020.

1. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

Looking at my calendar, I realised that today is thirteen years on from the day that must surely rank in my mind as my best ever day behind main line steam.

A wonderful trip from Bristol to Plymouth and back, records broken on three of the four Devon banks (Dainton westbound being the exception, taken from a standing start at Newton Abbott), electrifying performances generally and decent weather. Ray Churchill driving and Chris Birmingham on the shovel.

Was anyone else on the train or involved with its operation that day? Any memories you would care to share?
    I remember a happy walk along Plymouth Hoe with a long term friend from the Worth Valley (who was later to be best man at my wedding), and with my then future wife and her sister, who accompanied us on the trip.

I do recall there being content on Nat Pres at the time about the day but I note the present records only go back to 2009, so it looks like the content in question has not survived the years.

In particular, does anyone have a full set of timings / speeds they could publish? I recall there were some in the edition of Steam Railway that followed, in the late Mike Notley's report, but does anyone have a full set they could share? Or indeed tables / logs / reminiscences of particularly good runs for the South Devon banks generally?