If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

[Stolen] Theft from the Stevington and Turvey Light Railway

Discussion in 'Thief Watch' started by Graham Floyd, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Graham Floyd

Graham Floyd New Member

CCS engineer for Rail Safety and Standards Board
    All,

I am new to this sight having been directed here by another member, I am a co - owner of a small and private Light Railway in Bedfordshire. Sometime over the last week (12 - 17 Sept 2011) the metal thieves have been at work, they have taken around 900 yards of multicore signalling and 2 core power cable along with somewhere in the region of 100 signalling relays and all of the brass work from our Westinghouse style L power frame.

As our cable was buried and they have dug it up and because of the quantity of signalling relays stolen they must have been at work for some considerable time.

As our railway is private and on land with a public right of way we were unable to insure the material lost so recovery from this for us will be painful.

Of course the police have been advised and the relays may yet turn up somewhere and hence this post but the cable will never be seen again.

If any one hears of such being offered for sale please contact me on grahamafloyd@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks.

Graham

p.s crime number JH38359-2011

2. Graham Floyd

Graham Floyd New Member

The thieves used keys to access our location cabinets, we had previously (like a lot of railways) used the easy to obtain RKB221 lock but obviously this lock and it's keys are just too common so I recomend to all out there using this lock to scrap it post haste.

Graham

3. Graham Floyd

Graham Floyd New Member

They swines have been back, we have now lost two generators, all of our hand tools and all of our cable. The likely scenario is that we will not be able to carry on (at least not on our existing site).

Graham

4. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Graham sorry to hear about your lose, but can you email me a photo or model number of your relays, I would think they have been broken up for scrap but now, but as I work for a college, sometimes the students ask me if I can use equipment they have taken out for demo purposes, so a list of all your electrical equipment which is missing would be helpful, can't say it will be a quick fix but should I come across anything which may help in the long term, I would be glad to help you guys out.

5. Graham Floyd

Graham Floyd New Member

Hello lynbarn, we do not have a definitive list as we lost somewhere in the region of 100 BR930 style relays of various different confgurations. I think it would be unlikely that students would use these as they aren't easily obtainable outside of the railway industry.

Thanks for thinking about us and if some BR930 relays do come your way we would be very interested.

Graham

6. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Graham I have just looked up the BR930 Relay and I see your problem, I did not realise there where so many variation on the one type of relay base. Thinking about it the amount of scrap in them does seem pointless and I would now consider that they where taken to order as it appears they are still used as they are still being sold.

see Miniature circuit breakers - Mors Smitt railway components & solutions

regards

Colin Rainsbury