If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The WHR, success or flop ?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Baldwin, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Ha! My bad. After some of the lunatics from the food thread you never can be sure.

2. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

The concept of diesel railcars is an interesting one. Truth is, no one really knows whether traffic would be lost or not. Once in a train, for most, the motive power is irrelevent. I would think that provided steam is seen on the line, it would be OK. Do we know how much traffic is lost when diesel is running?

3. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

With reduced cost's for diesel traction this could enable the ticket price to become more attractive for the poor, thus relieving valuable space on the steam hauled trains ? An interesting idea.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Would you like to show us some facts to prove this, or is it something you have just plucked out of the air to try to support your assumption.

What a condescending remark, "ticket price to become more attractive for the poor" who are these people you have just stigmatised and pigeonholed? can you go to a station and point out those who look longingly at the train but are unable to travel? I have never heard such rubbish.
    There may be some who look at the fares and decide not to travel as I have done when I thought about taking a ride on the Snowdon Railway, but it's not because I'm poor, it's because it did not, in my opinion, represent good value.

5. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"Would you like to show us some facts to prove this, or is it something you have just plucked out of the air to try to support your assumption."

It is a statistical fact that 97% of quoted statistics are made up.

6. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    Last july I have had a trip Port-Caernarfon and return (with change steam/diesel at Pont Croesor on the return) It was the fisrt time that I travelled on the WHR(I know very welle the FR since 1983) I truly enjoyed it and I was very very impressioned and jubilant! what a wonderfulrailway!in the ten top worldwide railway trips for me
    Only a minor snatch: too long too long trip !:it would be fine to uplift the average speed (nowhere speeds up the 20 mph !!meanwhile the long strectch beetween Pont and Port is, in my opinion, perfectly fitted for 25 mph and more!)
    As some contributors on this forum I think that a railcar would be profitable on this line (with a 30-35 mph speed limit )
    But it doesn't matter WHR is a truly remarkable railway
    Keep the very good job WHR/FR lads!
    regards
    Noel

7. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

So if a train was to run at 30-35mph then all the splendour of the scenery would be lost...

Its the whole experience people come to enjoy. Most people who travel have already done their homework, know how much it will cost and will have budgeted for it appropriately...

As does anyone... Don't they???

Rich

8. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    yes of course!!!!!!!!!!!!! but my idea of railcars is only about COMMUTERS ans early or evening "cheap" trains (remember the "early bird" on FR)!! nethertheless a top speed of 25 mph where is it possible, will be welcome!!!!:focus:

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It is planned to reduce journey times, but i guess it needs to wait for the track to settle and the staff/volunteers to sort out any more important issues first.

The whole railcars issue has been discussed many times on many forums - the simple conclusion is that it would be a lot cheaper, reliable, flexible and pleasant to use an existing F&WHR diesel with normal carriages and either run round in a loop or return the driving trailer to use.

Chris

10. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

I totally agree, back to topic, does steam or diesel traction effect the success or flop of the WHR/FR that could be debated, but for the time being, all that's for the future. In the previous thread mention was made of trains made up of OAPs travelling for a fiver, this got me thinking as where does one go to find the official annual profit figures for the WHR/FR trust, are these actually available to the general public and if so does anyone know where to find them ?

11. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Subscribe to become a member and you'll get all of that info in the end of year reports that come with the magazine.

12. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Thanks, but aren't they put into the public domain ?

13. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    stark reply jark!:clap2:

14. dan-trumpet

dan-trumpet New Member

In short - yes! As a registered charity, the FR Trust's accounts are available to view on the Charity Commission website as part of its annual return. The same applies to the FR Society, the WHR Society & WHR Ltd. (the parent company of WHHR).

A summary of the FR Co. accounts is published in the FRS magazine, which is sent to members and sold at Harbour Station. Alternatively, become a gold subscriber of phase 5, get a share for life and you can go to the company AGM. :)

15. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Many thanks for that.

16. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    You'd probably enjoy yourself more if you volunteered to work on the railway rather than sitting in a darkened room checking the accounts. This is all about rebuilding something that's been lost for more than 70 years and making it better in order that thousands of people can enjoy themselves in the decades to come.

At least, that's why I got involved as a vol back in 2005. Working on Phase 4 of the WHR is the best thing I've ever done in my life. Being on the payroll is cool, but not a patch on the achievement of bringing a railway back from the dead.

Whinging about T-Shirt prices is rather sad in comparison.

BTW, looking forward to doing some tracklaying on the Corris next year. I promise not to lay it at 597mm...

17. Charobin

Charobin Member

Talk of railcars for the Welsh Highland reminds me that there happens to be a 2' gauge diesel railcar under construction which is likely to be taken to North Wales for trials once completed - and one or two of the "movers and shakers" behind the Welsh Highland are very interested in the concept and would like to see how the railcar performs in its Welsh trials.

Food for thought.....

Charlie

18. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

As another poster has said such information is freely available on the charity commissions website. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk The Charity number and name and number are 239904 - THE FESTINIOG RAILWAY TRUST

Sorry Andrew but as an accountant I do find reading accounts such this interesting if only to assist other organisations I am involved with because to give as a broad example you can see if trains are and can be run profitably with volunteers or whether there is really a need for a profitable bar, a cafe, or some other business required to cover the shortfall.

They do also help understand a bit more about an organisation and you can temper your opinion as a result. e.g. an organisation awash with cash you might be inclined to demand more of or donate less to than one which has not. In terms of the trust what struck me when I looked at the 2008 accounts a couple of years ago was how fortunate the FR/WHR were to have a geneous trustee with deep pockets as without the money he sunk in the WHR would probably not be where it is today. It may be the way the guy wants it but I am not sure if that person publically receives the acknowledgement he is due.

19. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I think the power bogie was at one of the FR's recent events and I think concept has a huge amount of potential not just for the WHR.

The WHR presently only taps a part of its potential market and I am sure they are aware of that but as a walker at present I would not consider leaving my car at X and getting the WHR. The trains are to slow and to infrequent. A rail car might resolve that issue and most who use would not care it was not a steam engine.

20. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Some people gave money, others gave their time and effort. What's the difference? They were all working to the same end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.