If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The WHR, success or flop ?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Baldwin, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Roger. As I already said, we still really enjoyed the visit and the ride on the line, we'll definitely go back again.

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think Baldwin is just a Troll

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I don't think for one moment that the WHR is a "flop" but I fear that the aggressive/defensive reaction of some of it's supporters to any comment or criticism can seem to add credence to such thoughts.

For what it is worth, the return trip from Beddgelert to Pont Croesor I took in mid July was well patronised, particularly in the Pont Croesor direction. Much of the business was was in coach parties and this, presumably, is heavily discounted. This cannot be a cheap line to operate and it is impossible for any bystander to know whether a railway is profitable or simply busy.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Paul, is it any wonder you see that kind of reaction when people try to find the negative in *full* trains? As this thread shows, only a bystander with an agenda would see them and consider it as anything but a roaring success. Indeed, we know this is the case because Andrew has already given figures showing revenue has grown faster than passenger journeys.

Chris

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I spent the first week of August on the FR/WHR both this year and last and I can say that the passenger numbers were up this year on last on both railways. I would say though that the last WHR train into Porthmadog was less used than the midday train (which doesn't go across the Glaslyn bridge).

I would most certainly say that the WHR is a success, a great success, with the crossings of the Glaslyn bridge turning into a great tourist attraction in itself.

For the future, I would like to see the WHHR included in the FR/WHR timetables with the WHHR running through to perhaps Beddgelert.

Regards

6. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Roger,

Thanks for the explanation. Shame when I asked the gaurd it wasn't made clear to me that the coaches could be opened and the railway lost two singles from Caernarfon to RD. I couldn't face sitting half way down the train surrounded by coach parties wanting the windows shut and went to Llanberris shed instead.

Perhaps some notes on the coach windows would help? ''If would like to travel in this coach please ask a member of staff who will unlock the doors''.

Regards,

David

7. Steve from GWR

Perhaps the same guard as on our train then :)

8. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I've been over the WHR - Caernarfon - Porthmadog twice, and looking forward to next trip. Sure there are many who feel the same way; it's a magnificent bit of railway.

1 person likes this.
  9. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Clearly, this great railway is showing how successful it really is by attracting new rail enthusiasts who know nothing about FR practices. The locking of outward opening doors has been established practice for a very, very long time.

10. Christopher125

This has just been posted on the Facebook page

The F&WHR is having one of its best years ever. With passenger numbers growing, we urgently need more staff to ensure things run smoothly.
    As a result, we have a requirement for people to work in the following areas until the end of the season:
    Control room staff
    Carriage cleaners
    Guards
    Signalmen
    Level Crossing operators
    These are paid positions and applications are invited from both supporters and volunteers. In the first instance, contact Operations Manager Séan Britton on 01766 516000

While its a shame that volunteers cant fulfill all these needs, its great that the railway is in the financial position to do this. If only i didnt live so far away...

Chris

11. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

I think that this answers the original posters question?

Being able to offer an increase in paid jobs in the present financial environment, seasonal or other.

Neil.

12. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

I have been going to the FR for over 40 years....the difference is the FR unlock the doors at the terminus stations unlike the WHR!

13. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    And this is why we need more staff, away from the FR, the less attractive job of station staff, carriage washers etc do not get filled because the volunteers are doing the other jobs. A single gauge looking after a train does not have time to walk a ten coach train at, say Beddgelert, unlock the doors just in-case, check all the other passengers on, inspect the train staff, sell extra tickets, lock the doors again, check the train is clear to depart and instruct the loco too. Offering the jobs mentioned on a paid and seasonal basses allows these necessities to be covered when those volunteers available are doing the more sort after jobs. However we are even severely short of fireman this week so come and support us. I wish I were close to help out more flexibly than I currently do.

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Paid our annual visit in May, travelled Bed - Carn and Bed - Port. Both trains were very well filled, including the bug-hutches!

DSCF7230.JPG

Only wish I lived closer, as I'd be very happy to fill one of those vacancies - particularly firing, (if only you could just walk into that) - been a few years though (well 34 actually!).

15. Christopher125

16. Richard L

Richard L New Member

17. 5067

5067 Member

Family holiday in the Pwllheli area last week, enabled myself and my Father to sample the WHR and Ffestiniog Railways. We visited the WHR on Wednesday 24th August, travelled from Porthmadog to Caernarfon, then back to Pont Croesor. Very enjoyable, and worth travelling to see the Aberglaslyn pass, the stretch of running from there to Rhyd Ddu and on past is spectacular. Having read and heard a lot of "hype" around it, I was a little sceptical, but can now, having seen it for myself understand why it really is so special. The train was full and I didn't see any spare seats.

Thursday evening, we sampled the food on offer at Spooners. Suffice to say I don't see why there has been such a fuss made in the other thread about the price of the food. I had the Welsh Burger for £6.85 or £6.95, can't recall now exact price. Big plate, not measley portions, salad, chips, burger, bottle of pop on top, very tasty and well fed with change from £10, thats good value to me. The last August 18.30 trip to blaenau, behind Blanche was very enjoyable, and having sampled the Ffestiniog before during the day, it was good to see it form a different perspective with the setting sun.

Thumbs up all round from me! Definately a success!

18. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

The introduction of modern diesel railbuses for standard services would reduce costs and enable more to enjoy the scenery which is paramount to the general public who frankly care little for steam despite what some rail romantics think, the technology exists in S France of course, it also appears that a fair proportion of enthusiasts dislike the current steam roster anyway. The notion that small engines double heading should be introduced to satisfy a tiny minority of photographers flies in the face of economic reality, both FR and WHR have to live in the competitive tourist market and generate income in the most efficient way, unfortunately existence as a living museum is not an option.

19. Jark91

Jark91 Member

You're patently deluded and have just destroyed any credibility you might have (unrealistically) hoped to bring to your posts with that ludicrous statement.

All you need to do is stand by the locomotive at Harbour station on any operating day to see for yourself exactly how intrigued the public are by the steam loco at the head of the train. People crowding around it, taking photos of their loved ones stood by the nameplate, putting their children up on the footplate etc. That and the scenery are the primary reasons people visit the FR and RhE. They could probably build and operate a two car railcar with a seating capacity of 80 and it would never fill up whereas steam hauled trains in Summer with a seating capacity of 250+ are regularly spilling over. Steam is the attraction.

20. Steve from GWR

I have a feeling he was joking............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.