If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Weardale, Darlington 16th October

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Waterbuck, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I didnt see anything about this on here but after noteing the timings elsewhere I saw it at Darlington before it headed back North to Tyneside.
    The 8f looked good and made a very spirited departure back to Newcastle.

A few pics can be found here ; - http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldsteam/sets/72157625183010700/

2. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    splendid set of pics there Waterbuck, seems all the attention was on the Castle, great to see they've cut the grass by the brick A4, pulled over in the wagon to take some pics a few years ago, couldn't see any spotlights then. hope there's a few video's of the run on You Tube, I heard there was a fire on the Tyne Valley line and the train ended up at york as the line was closed, also the Settle junction to Carnforth line was closed for engineering work, so whether it came back via Copy Pit or what, I'm waiting to find out.thanks for posting.

3. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

The 8F made a "spirited" departure from all stops whether it be station departures, signal stops whatever simply because it was pushed away on each occasion by the diesel on the back. Such excessive use of the diesel was unnecessary and indeed there appeared to be no reason for it to be there. The day was mild, there was no need for train heat, indeed people were opening windows and turning the carriage heat controls off it was so hot. The run round loop at Stanhope was long enough to have allowed the 8F to run round its train and the 8F was more than capable of pulling an 11 coach load on its own. So another tour spoiled by a diesel on the back.

4. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

It was a good tour which delivered everything. A bit of late running on the outward into Stanhope led to around only 30 minutes on arrival which just enough for a stroll to get a few fots. It was my first visit to the Weardale Railway and it is certainly one of the most scenic lines I’ve travelled on. 48151 performed well and put in a good section of high speed running on the Darlington - Newcastle section. Ta to all involved.

Attached Files:

5. Peter29

Peter29 New Member

As well as making it easier operationally where several reversals are required, the diesel would be there principally as insurance against poor rail head conditions during the autumn leaf fall season, given that the tour was visiting routes not (I think) regularly covered by the RHTTs - and certainly not the Weardale line. The 8F itself has fallen victim to such low adhesion conditions in the past. When planning a tour you cannot guarantee the weather on the day - it only takes a shower, or misty drizzle and any loco will be in trouble at this time of year at certain locations, particularly those on less well used lines. A responsible operator provides such back-up especially given the delay costs payable by TOCs. Even on the main line, performance can be affected in some conditions (acceleration etc). Don't go on tours in autumn if you don't want diesel insurance provided to get you home at a reasonable time! And from what others have said it was a great tour, with the spectacle from 48151 not affected at all, so I'm not quite sure how it was 'spoiled'!

6. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    A responsible operator delivers what they have sold and contracted to - a "steam hauled" tour. It also takes out insurance against the potential delays. To be quite frank I've had enough of the indefensible and intent to make formal complaints and demands for compensation when an advertised Steam Hauled Tours is assisted and I have not been informed beforehand. I will also make the ASA aware of the misleading advertising. Until the operators are honest with people who are paying up to £200 for false representation this theme will run and run.

7. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    dp266 Please give it a rest, as you say this theme will run and run simply as it seems to be your pet theme, you have flogged this same horse :deadhorse: on various threads recently and the answer always comes up the same.

8. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    I will give it a rest when the tour operators behave honestly. i have no problem if they sell a tour as steam hauled with assistance. So my crusade will continue... enjoy!

9. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Were you on either this one or the Quantock Hill where I see you are having another moan? I guess not so I don't see you can complain as you were not affected by the events.
    Your 'crusade' is becoming a pain in the **** to all other members on here who by now are getting sick of the cracked record.
    Do you honestly think that your witterings on this forum, are going to have the slightest effect on the way that WCRC etc operate. Perhaps James Shuttleworth is quaking in his boots, but then again maybe he is just faintly amused at the way you go on and on and on ad nauseum.
    If you feel so strongly get up to Carnforth and picket their site until they take notice of you. See what good that does you, but give us a rest.

10. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I echo whats been said; this isnt helping anybody. To be honest for most railtour passengers assistance from a diesel really isnt going to spoil their day, and for us enthusiasts its just one of many hazards you have to accept - multiple changes of traction, route and timings are perfectly normal even on the day unfortunately and no amount of complaining can realistically change that. The people who run railtours are all essentially enthusiasts at heart and wish to run whats advertised and offer a pure example of what steam can do - but they are also businessman and they accept that in the real world WCRC/DBS/NR and the various loco owners cant always offer or deliver what we'd all like.

The price we pay to have more mainline steam than any other country, on one of the worlds busiest networks, with relatively few restrictions.

Chris

11. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I agree with the previous two posts. We are exceedingly lucky to get the number of steam hauled tours that we enjoy in the UK. In North America the comparitively few steam tours comes as standard with a diesel in the consist.

Is dp266 going to underwrite the delay attribution minutes for WCRC or DBS when they don't provide a DL as insurance in times of poor adhesion etc? The current rate on minor lines is about 30 pounds per minute fine for delays to other operators and increses dramatically on busier lines. James Shuttleworth can probably quote further delay attribution costs which make the whole railtour business look financially insecure.
    Certainly it's an emotive issue, but please get a grip, it's only a hobby for most of us!

Steam Dreams are honest about the issue. Copied direct from their web site.
    Diesel Assistance Occasionally for operational convenience or due to adverse weather, a diesel may be attached to the rear of the train. This is only used sparingly when rail conditions dictate. No refunds will be given on these occasions as steam will still be the exclusive traction for 95% of the time on these journeys.
    Without checking, I seem to remember that Vintage Trains publish a similar disclaimer.

Cheers, Neil

Regards, Neil

12. rickd

rickd New Member

I know I would rather have a diesel on the rear instead of a 2 hour delay at a cold station with a bitter wind blowing through it at this time of year.

13. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

The diesel didnt sound to be doing much if anything at all as it passed me.
    The 8f however was, as the pictures show and in a spirited fashion too.
    Those who were there would probably agree and appreciated the sight as much as I did.

14. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would comment that the trip was advertised as a steam hauled tour and that is what was given.
    I am sure that those folk on the Silver Jubilee would have preferred to have had a 47 in attendance rather than to have been stood about not being sure what was going to happen. That problem can happen at anytime, with drastic results!
    I am all in favour of opening up new byways for steam tours, especially in NE. We have NYMR, Weardale and Wensleydale all linked to NR now, not to mention the useage of B&T and Stillington Branch. Let's encourage their use.