If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Talyllyn - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by ellisteph12, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ellisteph12

ellisteph12 New Member

Great idea.

2. cncmodeller

cncmodeller New Member

Industrial Modelmaker
    My suggestion is 'Don't worry' unless you have to pay rent for the track you run on, less visitors and consequently less money doesn't mean the railway has to shut up shop. If the Talyllyn was run by volunteers for their own enjoyment and required them to pay a contribution to run the odd train it wouldn't be a disaster, the main thing is that the railway has been saved, you have fallen into the accountancy nonsense way of thinking.
    For example the Sittingbourne and Kemsley railway in Kent is a real survivor if you want to see the 'sharp' end of preservation, it has had not a penny of lottery money and is not entitled to any [ apparently because it doesn't own the land the railway runs on] it relies totally on members contributions, volunteer labour and
    passenger receipts which isn't a fortune and they have achieved much, when I see the colossal sums spent in Wales on the Narrow Gauge there [ which I love] it makes me realise that the current worries are not be taken too seriously.

3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not owning the land does not exclude you from HLF funding; it depends on how long a lease you have. I think HLF usually look for 30 years minimum where buildings are concerned. It shouldn't matter for rolling stock.

Talyllyn07 likes this.