If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Stinkwood Railway, Knysna, South Africa

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Farnworth, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The April 1951 edition of The Railway Magazine carried a short article about a 2ft-gauge logging line in South Africa. The article was entitled, The Stinkwood Line. It drew my attention and I thought that it was worth investigation.

It turns out that the article was not as accurate as it might have been and it also failed to let magazine readers know that by the time of publication the line had been closed for at least 18 months.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/04/15/the-stinkwood-railway

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I spent some time working in Mossel Bay, living in George, had no idea that this line had existed, thanks for posting the links.

3. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    I have a cousin in Knysna who I used to visit quite often when I lived near JoBurg and I am sure we walked some of the route without knowing it as neither of us had any idea of the 2' line. All we know is the Cape Gauge line to George which I have travelled many times and even had a crafty drive. Lovely memories. Thanks Roger for the history. I do enjoy reading your pieces.