If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Elendil

Elendil New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They wont need ladders - by the time we get to the FGL people will be throwing themselves off (7.5 hrs without a break).

KentYeti, ADB968008 and spindizzy like this.
  2. Butler Henderson

Butler Henderson New Member

I know I'm only going by RTT but at the times we would have been at Edinburgh (based on our times at Carstairs) there are NO specials for the Ryder cup. Two specials to Kirknewton are shown and their associated ECS but that is a long way from Gleneagles. Interestingly a charter from Cleethorpes IS allowed in. One wonders how much earlier than the Lowlander this one was requested to gain the priority over us. Lies, dammed lies and Network Rail !

banana patch likes this.
  3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I'm in K. At least I'm in the middle of the coach, so when the water runs out and the toilets start to stink, hopefully I'll be far enough away not to be able to smell it!

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I came across this forum when trying to find out more about this tour. It has kept me better informed than the operator and I am grateful. Booked on to this when first advertised. The changes and in particular the long time without any stops made it more of an ordeal than a pleasure. With the good lady humouring me it was not going to go well despite the unique nature of the route. I have had my money refunded and will not travel. Was hard work, and had to refer to Sale of Goods and Unfair Terms and Conditions Laws.

Really sad. Hope those who stay on feel it is worth it and have a good day out. Too many changes from original for us and potentially unpleasant in the end.

Sheff likes this.
  5. Desert Songster

Desert Songster New Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  6. Learner

Learner New Member

All sorts of interesting things here, particularly concerning entry to Edinburgh being granted and then withdrawn, but the reality is that even it had been then all this would have meant (aside from the obvious servicing point) is an even longer day for those of us on board. This trip was never credible in the originally advertised form so if it is a choice between what has been agreed and a tour that leaves at 5am and gets back at 2am then I know what I would go for.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I can smell business opportunity here... (well maybe something smellier)...

might be worth some enterprising individual to run to mothercare buy Pampers and Potties then stop off at the chippy and get 400 lots of fish and chips, sell them at the platform enroute.
    could even sell stamped postcards from Edinburgh and drop them off in the mail on the way back.

question is, am i serious or joking ?

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Half a dozen Portaloos in the brake? Or those in compartments could bring their own commodes?

9. Desert Songster

Desert Songster New Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  10. Sheff

About the length of a water stop then. On the Cheshireman no one was allowed off at Atherstone, so we had to speak to our friends through a window. So will they risk letting 400 folk loose I wonder?

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Right, thanks. Outside chance a Yeti might be on the prowl at Carlisle on your return. I expect to be out all night every night on the Scottish moor, (that's a Yeti thing), so it is a matter of how much daytime sleep I'm getting as to whether I head to Carlisle.

12. Elendil

Elendil New Member

Oh joy, 18 hrs with only one 30 min break on the way up and one 17 min break 7.5hrs later - isn't anyone on RTC thinking about the passengers.....and very little chance to look at the engines either.

13. banana patch

banana patch Member

As its WCRS responsibility to ensure train is supplied with sufficient water though out the day I am sure they have a plan in place won't they!!!??? There is agreat opportunity for caterers to make a killing though how much will those last bottles of beer and sarnies be worth!!!

14. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Right Yeti your mission if you chose yo accept it is, stock up on bottles of local ale, don your BSW outfit and parade up and down the platform selling said bottle of ale at cost price. A few bags of chips wouldn't go amiss either.

15. Elendil

Elendil New Member

He will have to be quick - as we wont be allowed off (throwing chips through open windows and us throwing the money back will be a risky business model)

KentYeti likes this.
  16. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Better that than throwing money at RTC, more chance of getting what you pay for. Lol

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Sorry but that post is actually not funny. Speaking personally, I knew that it would not go as planned, as did many others on this Forum. If the Ryder Cup hadn't got us, something else would have. But, I repeat that I'm ok about the trip in its revised format but only because it will go over Shap each way plus Beattock and gives us two premier locomotives.

I'm pleased that the RTC agreed to a refund for Dobbs0054 as they have doubtless realised that their T&C would not hold water. We need to remember that this was advertised as a trip to Edinburgh - the bit of the carriage contract that all TOCs must honour, i.e. getting you to your destination - but it is not going to Edinburgh. People not in the know will turn up for the trip on Saturday and then when they see the brochure will suddenly realise that they will be virtually imprisoned on a train from when they leave Carlisle till they return.

It'll be a hard day for the stewards.

Sheff likes this.
  18. NeilL

NeilL Well-Known Member

Retired & OAPWay & tree feller
    I know that there have been changes to the initial plans but if someone had offered a tour of 14 hours, 100% steam hauled, over some major hills with two magnificent locos a while ago I suspect many would have said 'Just keep me off it'.
    Now it seems nobody is happy. Just can't please folk.

19. Sheff

But you wouldn't have booked your wife/mother on it eh?

KentYeti likes this.
  20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    If you phone ahead to the chippy just up the road I'm sure they would delivery a reasonably sized order. Their haggis sausages are pretty good, unfortunately their fish and chips are to be avoided.........

Why do you think I booked to travel for a change, instead of stewarding.:rolleyes: