If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 29, 2014.

1. banana patch

banana patch Member

Looks like 12 on so should be within capability of both locos would be nice if standard up front and no DL on back but not holding my breath!

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    OK - it's official. Edinburgh was not possible because of the Ryder Cup. I thought that the Lowlander and the Ryder Cup have been advertised for quite a while. Did nobody think to ask the question of NR nearly a year back along the lines of whether there was a conflict here?

OK - it's official. There is no destination and we stay on the train all day except for the quoted leg stretch at Carlisle at 9.30 am and eight hours later. I wonder what the mood will be like on the train for those who were accompanying their enthusiast partner for a quick wander around Edinburgh?

OK - it's official. This is a rare opportunity for a trip with a prestige locomotive from each of the LMS and LNER and there is the prospect of some good running and hill climbing plus a snatch of the G&SW. Who could ask for more?

Looking forward to this one but I am seriously holding my breath on a few matters including whether we are doing this unaccompanied and whether I am near any angry reluctant travellers.

3. banana patch

banana patch Member

Had someone told those on original scottish lowlander that in 50 years time you would have been able to do something simular who would have believed them?maybe in 2065 there could be a rerun!!!

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I've got shades of 'The Wansbeck' earlier this year, where there was an unscheduled stop at Durham for 20 per cent of the train to disembark because there was no destination ie. Saltburn. Mind you, the atmosphere cleared-up no end afterwards, and it turned out to be one of the better trips I have done. In this day and age, one can't please everyone. Its probably an idea just to make the best of it (ie. take food, drink and some reading matter to get you through the stops). The main thing I'm worried about on behalf of other people is the toilet issue, so hopefully there will be at least some attempt to refill the tanks at some point, maybe at Carlisle.

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My wife would be apoplectic if I'd got her on this on the promise of a visit to Edinburgh and it didn't happen. It could turn nasty in posh class if they don't know up front and there's no cancel option.

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Having had a look at the route with my dad who will be joining me on Saturday I am more than happy with the end result. Will include some new track for me and visit some places my dad hasn't seen since a class 26 track bashing touring in the 1970's! A late plea to the powers that be - 16 minutes is never going to be enough to change locos at Carlisle on the return. Please can we extend the dwell time in Carlisle to something realistic and cut the pathing stop in Eden Valley loop. This will allow most people to have a leg stretch, grab some chips or a quick pint and top up the toilets. I doubt common sense will prevail and it will probably just leave Carlisle late, but if we knew in advance at least people could leave the station without fear of missing the train.

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Just seen this, would explain how a loco change could be done in 15minutes... Still need to cut that pathing stop in Eden Valley loop though!! But heck, bring it on!! May stop a few punters falling asleep by that point!

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Don't forget RTT times are only provisional, things may yet change.

9. Elendil

Elendil New Member

I still think it is outrageous that NR can do this at such short notice to a charter train booked for nearly a year.
    We can all put on a positive face about the opportunities remaining and they are still enticing, but seeing and being on a steam engine coming into Waverley was going to be a rare treat.

I think people should complain about this to NR (I know its not worth a hoot - but at least NR will have to log and deal with the complaints).

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

One assumes that special arrangements will be made for the upper class clientele. Like utilising the lower price champagne to ensure the toilets are kept working.

Whilst the peasants in second class will no doubt have a few empty plastic bottles chucked at them, and denied all drink, (and food. :eek:), after about midday. Just as well as the bottled orange juice may be a little bit suspect later in the day.

;)

11. Desert Songster

Desert Songster New Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    MellishR likes this.
  12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are they actually running extra trains for this stick and ball event?

13. Big Al

Yes, of course they are. For golfers it is actually quite a big event. Scot Rail has got it covered:
    http://www.scotrail.co.uk/rydercup/traintimes
    That is why you do wonder what on earth goes on behind the scenes that results in nobody thinking in advance that maybe a steam charter in Edinburgh (or Glasgow for that matter) might be an inconvenience.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Sheff likes this.
  14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    And I should damn well hope so.....:)

We are seats 8 & 9 coach A if anyone wants to come and say hello.

15. banana patch

banana patch Member

16. banana patch

banana patch Member

This is a matter of priorities surely once is was known the Scottish Lowlander needed platform space at waverley the ryder cup should have been cancelled

Big Al likes this.
  17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I'm writing to the authorities as I type... ;)

banana patch likes this.
  18. Elendil

Elendil New Member

I have received this from RTC (in response to my complaining that this was a late change - and for the worse - Earlier start, No Edinburgh break, only breaks at Carlisle etc.):-

I do appreciate what you are saying, however we are bound by Network Rail. They advised us just yesterday that they could no longer grant us access to Edinburgh station, due to increased service train traffic in relation to the Ryder Cup. We applied for access to Edinburgh station six months ago, and were granted it. Network Rail have now revoked that access permission. We advised you and everyone else booked on the tour as soon as we were made aware.

The trip is still steam hauled throughout as advertised.

It is now a circular tour with a thirty minute stop in Carlisle on the outward and return journey for passengers to disembark and stretch their legs. This is the equivalent of the total time you would have had in Edinburgh.

I am afraid we do not offer refunds, as stated in our terms and conditions in our brochure and on our website.

Aside from not being able to count (2 x 30min at Carlisle is not the same as 120mins at Edinburgh - and we probably would have had 30 min's at Carlisle anyway to change trains) the outrageous behaviour of Network Rail is clearly seen.

It is a massive shame that NR have turned a brilliant trip into something of an ordeal.
    I hope that there are not further disappointments (Diesel assistance).
    What chance that RTC can add in another humane (people can get off) 30 min stop somewhere near Glasgow?

19. Big Al

I'm tucked away in Coach H, putting me nicely close to the buffet car where they will be running a raffle on the point at which the water runs out. The winner will get a haggis. The runner up will get six.

20. Big Al

Ladders will be available at Falkland Goods Loop