If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 34025

34025 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What a fantastic day Saturday was, not a lot I can add to the comments above. But I just wanted to say Thankyou of behalf of the LMS patriot project to all those who donated . £250 was raised on the day and also a new member signed up.
    I kind of feel bad now to RTC for complaining last week, after such a great day was had, ESP with the surprise of Galatea from carnforth, what a treat!
    Our steward was fantastic 'west brom Tom' and we were kept well informed during the day.
    Bulleid pacific it was nice to meet you and hear your knowledge of bulleids ;) now you can add 'whimple' to your info .lol!
    The company we had on Saturday was fantastic and our friends who had decided to cancel coming on the trip we're replaced by a lovely couple, who kept us entertained and we constantly laughed all day!
    I don't think this trip can be topped for a while!! Now suffering from post mainline blues......

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Sorry I didn't get to Carlisle am or pm to meet Nat Pres people. Was totally knackered after being out on the moors all night with my Owls and couldn't risk the drive to and from Carlisle in the state I was in. It had to be a full day in bed before the next night on the moor..... Just got back home to Kent now.

Gonna have to come on one of these here NW trips before long to meet up! I'd actually like a Brit over Shap both ways. Take me back to 1967 and a wonderful South bound run I had on the 14.00 ex Glasgow from Carlisle.

But I am very pleased indeed that things worked out OK in the end for those on board. Many thanks indeed for the several very fulsome reports of the day here.

3. 46245col

46245col New Member

Well said Ralph, one of the best tours ever, abig thanks to all involved, and Galatea was the icing on the cake.

4. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Does sound like this tour was a success due to the constant going of steam mile after mile! While not a perfect recipe for every railtour, certainly RYTC may find it viable to hold one or two marathon days a year?

As for those who doubted the appearance of Galatea, indeed it be 'risking their money', it appears this formula worked especially well as a cake topper! Indeed, if Leander blitzed a light and loaded test run this week, who would be opposed to her taking over for Galatea on the CME this weekend from Hellifield to Farington Jnc as a proper heavy test? Certainly has it's risks, but such short jaunts as this two stretch an 'out of works' engine and bed in the wheels could certainly be interesting as cake toppers in future?

5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Quick snap from Scoutgreen on Saturday under the only cloud in the sky. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412021383.280167.jpg

D1002, KentYeti, RalphW and 2 others like this.
  6. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Crikey Ralph, you really did cover those "blow backs' :rolleyes:" very well! I hope the crew are ok??? ;)

Galatea sounding grand in that video btw!

RalphW likes this.
  7. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's nice that! B&W timeless & rods down too! :)

sam w likes this.
  8. walkerp1

walkerp1 New Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    sgthompson likes this.
  9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    It was good to meet you, too. I think 'Rough Tor' was the bit I hoovered up into the grey cells. I'm now at a loss as to what to do next, really... By the way, I did the sums last night and am within five miles of 'clearing' 46233 for the first time, with 60009 not too far behind. People on here can claim this many times over, but as I tend to move about the country and only do around eight tours a year, it takes a while to do this.

10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Thanks for the kind comment, much appreciated. It was glorious until shortly before the train came through. Still, even a dark cloud couldn't spoil a magnificent spectacle of a Duchess on home turf.

11. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Actually, I think it comes out best in that lighting. Doesn't always have to be bright sunshine to get a good shot. And that one is good.

Adds mood to the spectacle. Duchess on it's old hunting ground early on an Autumn day.

12. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Nice one......:D

13. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I see exact figures for the speeds at various places, but occasionally just vague words instead. A suspicious person might think people are being economical with the truth about the maxima.

BTW I did seriously consider booking this trip and I booked a hotel in Crewe, but in the end I decided I didn't want the very long day and the two nights away so I cancelled the hotel. Am I sorry to have missed it? Only slightly, as I have had a lot other very satisfying steam trips this year.

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Very sensible by all concerned not to be too specific about maximum speeds on a public forum where these are much higher than line or engine limits . Enginemen trying to make up time or stay out of the way of service trains should not risk being penalized for their actions. They will know what is sensible and what isn't. In my articles I adopt the 'Mike Notley' approach or I simply don't tabulate the run and I certainly don't specify any speed likely to cause the drivers problems if spotted by officialdom. I am sure that blind eyes are turned but best not to draw attention to anything too much outside the limits

Don

KentYeti likes this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Can I just echo that. There's nothing to be gained by getting all frothy about whether the max was 76, 77 or whatever with everyone seeking the highest that was recorded. It can turn sour on us. Think about it, There is an important matter of trust here. Trust by the crews that there is not some idiot on board who goes public about a momentary speed spike. They all know that people have GPS systems and not only the travelling enthusiast. There are rules to be followed.

After a memorable high speed run behind one of the most reliable of main line performers I asked the driver why the speed had dropped momentarily down to 71. "There was a 70 restriction over a crossover", he said "and with you guys on board with your GPS I wasn't taking any chances". Quite right too. Read this Forum and you know that not everyone thinks first before posting!

16. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I don't disagree at all with that. If (and it is "if") a driver has gone faster than he officially should have, I'm not asking to know exactly how fast it was. However "accidentally on purpose" misquoting by a few mph would be less noticeable than the odd absence of a figure.

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Just to emphasise how cheap/free phone speed apps can be iffy, I was watching mine on the way back and we were doing a steady 65with the phone on the table edge by the window, a passenger sitting opposite asked if he could see the readout so I handed the phone across, whilst it was in the middle of the aisle the reading jumped to 80 and then back to 65 when it got over to the window. o_O.

18. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    I've recorded a 317 EMU doing 118mph using my phone before. Very impressive, considering a single 317 struggles to reach 90 on the level! A pair of them can reach 100mph without too many problems however. And that was with the phone up against the window.

19. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I bet some people have done 200 in a Class 142...

20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Tell them to take the setting control off KPH.