If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Duchess at Bay Horse and Greenholme then No.9 on the climb to Beattock Summit:

Chris

sgthompson and garstangpost like this.
  2. grahamwright

grahamwright New Member

Charity Volunteer
    What a magnficent and memorable day - congratulations to all concerned. Yes, the northbound ascents were slower than sometimes, but the Duchess went over Shap southbound at 54 despite being limited to 60 due to bearing problems (but she kept the date rather than being pulled out). This was preceded by a beautiful run with UoSA over the G&SW, and finished off with a rip-roaring run with Galatea, which lost only three minutes net with class five power on a class eight schedule. The water supply was still working at the end, at least in coach C. What's not to like? Here's one satisfied customer...!

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I seem to recall saying that after all the twists over the day, the route, (the diesel) and the Ryder Cup that there would probably be another twist before this trip had run its course. And so it proved. But nobody had expected Galatea. And also, as it turned out West Coast did the right thing by ensuring that the train ran unaided, as we did with the diesel in tow up to Carnforth. We should also thank them for that fabulous spectacle at Carlisle of the giant and the greyhound standing side by side. Everyone who was there got their photo album shot of the special occasion.

To the credit of PMRT, they could have withdrawn the Duchess from the Lowlander as a precaution but they made the call that the bearing concern should be ok provided that she didn't run mile after mile at 75, which of course would have happened and especially down each side of Shap. So we had the loco for the event but not the spectacle of Stanier's finest powering up the WCML. But more of that anon.

So with the Duchess constrained to 60, it was a pedestrian run up to Carnforth with Peter Kirk where the diesel came off and we headed for Carlisle with 12 for 470 gross behind the tender. Going through Tebay at 60 there was unlikely to be much of a spectacle up Shap and this was taken cautiously with a minimum of 25. But to be fair, this was early in the morning at 9 o'clock on a damp rail.

The arrival of UoSA brought about a rapid change of pace and we were soon up to line speed with a lovely turn of pace through Lockerbie and beyond. On the climb of Beattock the loco slipped at MP 44 and with nearly six miles to go Peter Walker wisely let her find her feet and we settled into a steady climb in the low twenties going over the top at 23. The flash down the other side was interrupted by us being looped at Abington as we were out of our path, otherwise I suspect we might have enjoyed something special down towards Carstairs.

Now we were late and what followed was one of the more unexpected spells of speedy running. Onwards to Glasgow and a nice clear path around the suburbs where we threaded our way through to Shields Junction at a decent pace and then dashed out on the G&SW to our water stop at Falkland. The A4 certainly turned a few golfers' heads at Troon.

The run back from Mauchline to Carlisle was a delight. We bowled along in the sixties through stunning countryside with another well judged run by Peter Walker who, for me was driver of the day. He produced some interesting sounds out of the A4! An early arrival at Carlisle gave time for a food break although most didn't stray too far from the station and the public was given a beauty show at the London end.

Steve Chipperfield was in charge of the Duchess back to Carnforth when, at last, we were reminded what a Duchess can do. Starting out of a pathing stop at Plumpton we were treated to a really good climb of Shap. At the back, on the curves to the summit, all I could see was the glint of the sun on the boiler as we powered southwards with a clean exhaust trailing back along the correct colour coaches! 60 mph just beyond Penrith with a minimum of 48 and 54 by the top. Good brake management down the other side for an early arrival at Carnforth. This was the climb of the day, in my view.

And so to dear old Galatea - the West Coast bonus - with Gordon Hodgson. As usual, she took a while to get going but 12 is quite a handful for a single chimney Jubilee. Running to Preston was steady and we finally topped 60 around Scorton. South of Preston, Galatea woke up. We slogged up through Leyland to be checked at Euxton Junction, probably by the only other train running on that section. The same again approaching Wigan but a good climb to Golborne, accelerating from 54 through the station to 65 at the top. My GPS had a temporary memory lapse heading down towards Warrington but onwards running to Crewe was lively and noisy. We dropped about five minutes but none of that was down to the engine.

I gather that Galatea remains a handful and it seems that probably 11 is the optimum load for her but she did a good job yesterday although in the future, I still believe that to get the best out of her, load and route need to be chosen carefully.

Not a memorable day from the point of view of loco performance with the edge off things a bit over the Duchess. But this was more to do with the occasion and the spectacle. We had all of that and it's to the credit of the RTC, supported by WCR that they were brave enough to try something that was always going to be problematic and then pull it off with style.

4. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks Phil , nearly did not go to Beattock but glad I did just for the show from 09 .

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

010A.jpg My shot of the day at Carlisle along with everyone else. The giant and the greyhound.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    CAM00053.jpg CAM00061.jpg And a couple of mine but low quality phone shots only.

7. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

Great stuff as always Stephen, nice to see you at Beattock.

Steven

8. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

9. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

I like the shot of the crew of the "Duchess" looking enviously at the "Streak". [​IMG]

242A1, Sheff and spindizzy like this.
  10. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Big Al has summed the day up pretty well so I shall not add much to the operational side of things. This was a special day and a privilege to be on. Yes the duchess was a bit subdued, but she still put in some quality performances and given its 60 mph handicap probably made its efforts even more impressive. The late changes were always going to put a few people off, but I took the gamble a knew that whatever did result on the day it would be unique and memorable. In the event it was so much more than that. It was a day to be on the train, not watching from the lineside. I would have kicked myself if I had not booked, or even worse cancelled, which I gather a few did.
    Highlights? 60009 being driven like it was stolen through the Glasgow suburbs. Finally getting unassisted steam north of Carlisle and on the line through Dumfries and Galloway - a hidden gem of rolling hills, spectacular viaducts and mile upon mile of stunning scenery. This is a route made for steam - why is it visited so infrequently by rail tours? Galatea roaring through the darkness and ripping through Warrington, after braking to 72mph! 60009 just running like a well oiled sewing machine, completely dismissing its 12 coach load. Beautiful sunshine and wonderful autumnal Scottish scenery...I could go on.

Lets take a look at this tour's achievements:
    -Around 520 miles of steam, all unassisted (the diesel did nothing between Crewe and Carnforth).
    -3 steam locos including a duchess and A4 in one day.
    -Hundreds of miles of running above 60mph.
    -Never was the train more than 45mins late and due to some extremely good decisions made by Network Rail on the day, no public services were held up and we regained all but 4 minutes of the time.
    -Excellent on train announcements by the stewards on board kept us updated, all of whom worked tirelessly all day and deserve major thanks.
    -An extra steam loco provided at the last minute to replace the ailing duchess - this so easily could have been a diesel - many thanks West Coast.
    -Offer of steak and ale pie to those of us in standard class for just a fiver - very welcome and well received!
    -Working toilets into well into the evening!

When you just look at the amount of crews and resources involved here to deliver this tour, no other operator could have come close to delivering it. West Coast and RTC deserve major thanks and very big well done from all of us. Who could have thought that 50 years on from the original (when steam was being withdrawn at a horrifying rate), this would be possible on largely 125mph tracks mixing with 21st century tilting trains - this was British steam at its best. After an awful summer; this was tour promoter, operator and Network Rail working in supreme harmony.
    Thank you everyone for delivering not only the tour of 2014, but possible of the 21st century. I am pleased to say, we were there.

11. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks Steven , nice to chat again at Beattock briefly .

12. banana patch

banana patch Member

Despite all the doom predictions superb day out all thanks to RTC for promoting the trip and WCR for delivering it all may we have some more like it?

60017 likes this.
  13. RalphW

I have to add my agreement to all acorb has said, it was a truly memorable trip, meeting many friends, some comparatively new, and others from the day 50 years ago on the 26th September 1964, just one day out, that in itself is an achievement.
    It's also worth noting that on the run back to Carnforth 6233 did manage to beat the schedule by around 10 minutes, I was on my second or third Ardbeg and didn't really look to closely at the time.
    The other thing being the fact that West Coast/RTC could have said, afraid it will be diesel Carnforth back to Crewe, but no West Coast got an extra crew together and lit up their own loco just for that last bit, and Gordon did not let us down.
    So finally James when you read this please make sure that all involved get our thanks.

14. RalphW

No you just don't understand, Mr Chipperfield was like a performer before he goes on stage, running through in his mind all the twists and turns of what is ahead, almost meditating to psych himself up for the task ahead. :p

2J66 likes this.
  15. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

D1002, 2J66 and Linesider like this.
  16. RalphW

A shot in the dark, Galatea leaves Preston and heads for Leyland, OK so you can't see much except the occasional 'blow back' :rolleyes:, but she sounds fine on the 1:440/106/314 gradient.

andalfi1 and Enterprise like this.
  17. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    This ranks as one of the best tours I have done. In fact, I'd say it pips the Cathedrals Express to Scotland of last year for its sheer ambition, the drama of the "will it, won't it" variety in the preceding weeks and days, and the ultimate success of the adventure- for indeed it was thus. Granted, we didn't have a 'destination' as such, and the performance of 46233 was understandably checked, but top marks go to the PRCLT for making sure their locomotive didn't miss this important party, and there were plenty of rewards for those who kept faith with this trip and those who were flexible enough to consider the train as the destination itself. (Speaking for myself, I had to deal with the small problem of an exploding bottle of beer in my hotel room only 25 minutes before the off; this served to ensure that I was feeling off-par as far as Preston. But I digress, for that was but a trifling matter...)

Considering that 46233 did not have the usual run at the banks, she put in what I believe to be a creditable performance, and operated in a similar set of circumstances to 48151 on the 'Cumbrian Coast Express' back in June. Those used to barnstorming performances from 46233 would have been disappointed; those interested in slogs undertaken in adversity were in for a treat. The run proved that 46233 could keep a train moving up a gradient at slower speeds without coming to grief, and the GPS did not go below 21mph on the climb to Shap. In other words, it proved that a steam locomotive can 'get you home' even when not fighting fit.

However, the highlight for me was 60009 after Gretna Junction, and my GPS went a bit haywire over that stretch due to false signals. However, I believe after asking around that it was bowling along at or around 70mph. The climb of Beattock was well-handled, for a couple of slips that could have had serious consequences were controlled with aplomb, although the downhill run was subdued because of the inevitable loop at some point for the 10:47 ex-Carlisle and following service to overake. As such, we slowed-down for Abington loop.

I must admit, I questioned NR's motives for adhering to the booked length of time at Carstairs loop, but as subsequent events were to prove, it was probably the stop that made the trip work so well. Aside for a brief pause near Motherwell, we steamed through Glasgow's southern suburbs like the proverbial crap through a goose. Junction after junction (and Bellshill) was passed-by, until we were suddenly clear of Paisley and bowling along in the middle of rural Ayrshire.

We arrived at Falkland Loop around 3 late, with a fine view of the Isle of Arran and the sea bathed in autumn sunshine. The freight-only route to Mauchline Junction was an interesting interlude, as were the semaphores in that area. The rolling countryside of Dumfries and Galloway was a joy to behold, and the trees all featured that golden glisten more characteristic of late summer sunshine. Absolutely fantastic, and a real loss to the regular railtour circuit. Considering it is a route that is primarily used on multi-day railtours makes me, and a few others on this forum, feel privileged to have experienced it.

The half-an-hour at Carlisle was a time to soak up the atmosphere, with THE shot presenting itself to all present. However, I went to the other side of the station to attempt a photograph. Whatever platform you were on, people were crowding around. There was a risk of spillage down the ramp, but I believe Mr Shuttleworth kept an eye on things from the opposite platform, ensuring that errant enthusiasts caught in the moment didn't get too carried away.

Having been looped at Plumpton, 46233 did a creditable southbound ascent of Shap, arriving around 8 minutes early at Carnforth. Luckily, I won a bet with my disbelieving travelling companion that 45699 would be taking over at Carnforth on the return- I had been told by Ralph earlier in the trip that this was a strong possibility (so my travelling companion later bought me a pint in Spoons in Crewe). From my perspective, 45699 did not disappoint, and travelling through Warrington was particularly interesting. I developed a sneaking suspicion fairly early-on that the engine was being slightly held back to alow a decent run back to Crewe. Suffice to say, the journey ended all too soon, but the buy two, get one free principle on locomotive provision certainly has my thumbs-up!

Atmosphere on board was jovial in spite of what could easily have been a 15-hour ordeal, and it was great to meet the acquaintance of NatPres members, as well as other friends from previous railtours. I feel it is this element that makes our hobby all the more enjoyable, being able to exchange banter, dry wit and even pints of beer! However, whilst most in Standard class seemed up for the adventure, I cannot vouch for attitudes in premier dining. The stewards were excellent and the caterers patient. My thanks therefore go to RTC for the vision; WCRC for pulling out all the stops and producing the fantastic surprise (for me, at any rate) of a third locomotive; the PRCLT for allowing 46233 to be used at reduced potency in spite of the axlebox issues; the support crew of 60009 for taking the locomotive to Carlisle at stupid-o'clock, and finally, to Network Rail (Scotland), for going some way towards restoring faith that steam can still be slotted into an eminently different railway from that it was built to serve fairly effectively.

I therefore have to say that I feel sorry for those who missed out, but will concede that it was a long day. However, the last word must go to my travelling companions- one a veteran of several trips; the other travelling for the first time. The former told me that it was the best trip he has done with RTC, and the latter came up with what was possibly an even more fitting tribute to the efforts of the day- he would like to do another.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    KentYeti, Big Al and RalphW like this.
  18. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Huge thanks to all who made this tour possible, and who executed it so well on the day. Thanks also to all on here for their wholehearted tributes above. Have they dissuaded me from making my usual offering of a commentary and a few snaps? No chance!

Deja vu on the Scottish Lowlander 27 September 2014

In September 1964 all the remaining Stanier Duchess Pacifics were withdrawn. The last survivor, No 46256 Sir William A. Stanier FRS, was chosen by RCTS to work a final commemorative railtour from Crewe - Carlisle - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Carlisle - Crewe. The tour also featured A4 Pacifics Nos. 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley and 60009 Union of South Africa for the Scottish portion of the tour.

Today, fifty years and one day later, RTC and WCRC went to considerable efforts to operate a repeat tour. No 46233 Duchess of Sutherland was a worthy substitute for No 46256, and No 60009 appeared again for the Scottish section. With the Waverley route closed and Edinburgh Waverley station allegedly full with Ryder Cup specials, the route was different through Scotland, but still included the Caledonian and Glasgow and South Western cross-border routes with a tour of South Glasgow in between.

Leaving Crewe just after 6 am, The Duchess started gently with its 12 coaches and a dead Class 47, not reaching 60 until the Weaver Navigation, and passing Warrington at only 62. This speed was not exceeded before Preston, but it was only on the racing stretch to Lancaster that the penny dropped that it was being held in check, doubtless due to the axlebox problems for which it was soon to receive attention. It reached 54 at Barton and Broughton and maxima of 65 around Bilsborrow. Lancaster was passed in another burst of 65 mph, in over 24 minutes for the 20 miles from Preston. It remained in the sixties until Hest Bank where it began to slow for the Carnforth water stop, where the Class 47 came off.

Heading north again, 57 at Milnthorpe was the highest speed reached before the climbing started. Oxenholme was passed at 41 and the climb to Grayrigg was mostly in the 30s, with a minimum of 30 at the top. 63 was the highest speed along the Lune Gorge and only 61 at Tebay where the climb to Shap began. 50 at Greenholme, 41 at Scout Green, 32 at Salterwath and 25 at Shap Summit were far below usual form for the Duchess. We ran down to Carlisle consistently between 55 and 65 all the way.

Here the A4 was waiting on the centre road, several hundred photographers grappled for a view and eventually we set off nearly 15 minutes down. Speed rose quickly to 67 at Floriston and 71 over the Metal Bridge. We stormed through Lockerbie at 76 and still she flew, until hitting the bottom of Beattock bank at 65. Speed dropped to 40 by Middlegill and 26 at Greskine, continuing in the low 20s to the summit, reached in 19.5 minutes for the ten mile climb. Downhill the A4 showed what a greyhound she is, reaching 72 at Elvanfoot and a higher maximum at Crawford before being looped at Abington.

After the Carstairs water stop we ran briskly round the outskirts of Glasgow and down the coast to our water stop on the outskirts of Ayr, then inland to Mauchline where we joined the G&SW main line back to Carlisle. The Nith valley was beautiful in the autumn sunshine and the A4’s speed, though undramatic, was sufficient to get us back to Carlisle five minutes early after a splendid but all too brief visit to Scotland.

The two locos were excellently located side by side for photos, then the Duchess began the southbound climb. We reached 54 at Southwaite before being looped at Plumpton. Passing Penrith at 56, we briefly hit 60 before the serious climbing to Shap began: we stayed above 50 all the way to the summit, reached in just over 13 minutes from passing Penrith. Then we ran briskly down to Carnforth, braking a lot to avoid exceeding 61 mph.

Here we had an unadvertised treat to end the day. How often has a Jubilee been called upon down the years to substitute for a lame Duchess? Well tonight, No 45699 Galatea emerged from Carnforth shed in place of the Duchess, which was staying to have its axlebox issues attended to. We were up to 52 by Hest Bank and still at 52 through Lancaster. The climb out of the city temporarily winded the Jubilee and she was soon down to 38, but recovered to 61 at Bay Horse and continued thus to arrive in Preston within the scheduled time. Thereafter we dawdled for a while, with a brief 61 before Boars head and only 46 through Wigan. Then we began to fly! We reached our highest speed of the day between Golborne and Winwick, and had to slam the brakes on to go through Warrington Bank Quay at 72. Speed scarcely slowed in the climb to the Ship Canal, and our high speed running continued until after Winsford for a rousing finale to an excellent day.

18 pictures are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p307426226

Peter on a grey Manchester morning
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

KentYeti and Martin Perry like this.
  19. RalphW

That sums it up very well Peter except to point out that the slow run up Beattock was caused by a several slips on the lower slopes, so one can only assume that the driver decided that a steady climb was the safer option.

20. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    My shot of the day at Carlisle on the return.

IMG_0953.JPG