If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is that like "probably"?

2. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's is not our tour so probably not good form to do that.
    But no reason why you can't drop a coin or fifty in our collection pot to aid building The Unknown Warrior, The New National Memorial Engine on your way past if you want to!

Kevin
    LMS Patriot Project

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

spindizzy likes this.
  5. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

It isn't 37s they are tied up on the Royal Scotsman and SRPS this weekend, hence the use of 47s on this with then 31128/45407 to Oban where 47s not allowed.

6. Tiviot Dale

Tiviot Dale New Member

I quite agree ... I really do wish that there was a setting on Nat-Pres that could 'filter out' all the totally irrelevant, time-wasting and (to the majority of us) abjectly boring comments from people who, clearly, have nothing better to do with their time! Indeed, the 'fast-scrolling down' that my fingers seem to be doing all too frequently will, surely, ultimately result in a repetetive strain injury!!

Getting that gripe out of the way, could I now add some items of news specifically relating to the Scottish Lowlander and its rostered motive power and which, I hope, will be of interest to absolutely everyone. (Thanks to the Lensmen Linesiders Forum and its members '24C' and '10F' for providing the specifics.)

"RE: The Scottish Lowlander, 27th September Some very last minute news ...
    Rostered footplatemen for tomorrow are believed to be Peter Kirk (46233 northbound) and Peter Walker (60009). Don't know yet who will work 46233 southbound.

The latest update to the Notwork rail STN, as issued 25/09/14, includes some rather strange movements on/off Carnforth depot and which have now been explained following receipt of the following information.

46233 will actually come off the special at Carnforth on the return journey, as it is to have some work done on the axle-boxes at Steamtown (or whatever they call the place nowadays).

45699 'Galatea' will take over here to Crewe, with Gordon Hodgson driving and Frank Chippendale (ex-10F) firing.

It will be a 'test run' for 45699, following some front-end repairs to assist in better steaming, with a new superheater header (fabricated - not cast) fitted and the exhaust aligned up correctly as this was 5 inches out.

With at least 13 vehicles at the drawbar, for a mere 5X this should provide some fireworks south of Lancaster and climbing out of Preston!!!

'Galatea' returns to Carnforth on Sunday, with 2 vehicles in tow ... these, presumably, being the WCR and PRCLT support vehicles respectively.

Meanwhile, No 60009 - which was sceduled to follow the special from Carlisle, en-route to the East Lancs Railway - will now spend a couple of nights at Carnforth, before continuing its journey on Monday.

Note there are some slight changes to the tour timings - especially north of the border. These, however, still mean that passengers can expect to be cooped-up in the stock, between Carlisle and Carlisle, for SEVEN hours and many intending passengers have already observed that to be totally unacceptable!!"

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Re: Galatea and of course with the caveat about authenticity of the above post. My view is that it'll be too much for Galatea if West Coast stays with the 'diesel attached' option. I hope that they rethink this one as we all know what'll happen south of Carnforth southbound otherwise. And I take the leap of faith that believes WC wouldn't consciously spoil the homebound party.

Galatea would be a bonus but no substitute for the Duchess. As for a running in turn using my money and a diesel attcahed - no thanks.

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Exhaust 5in out??? Really? What's the diameter of a single chimney Jub? Lucky it steamed at all. How'd it get signed off like that I wonder?

9. Elendil

Elendil New Member

I am leading a large party of enthusiasts (including an ex - driver) booked on this trip and our interest in what is happening and not happening is totally relevant!

KentYeti likes this.
  10. mouse

mouse New Member

Is this a joke?

11. RalphW

Just another point to make regarding the effort West Coast are putting into this weekend, the stock for the Lowlander is being brought up from Southall as presumably all the Carnforth based stock is in use on other work, therefore the diesel that brings it is also likely to be a Southall one which we not need to be on the train to Carnforth.
    There is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we realise, so maybe Galatea will be unaided back to Crewe.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

seems like Sunday would be a good day to bunk the shed at 10A...

5972, 34016, 34073, 35018, 44932, 45231, 45690, 45699, 46115, 46233, 48151, 61994, 60009.

was it ever that good in the 1970s when it was open?

thats got to be close to capacity with all the other support coaches / junk/stock/diesels hanging around the place

3 steam locomotives on a single mainline day out... you don't get that opportunity very often these days... more of this please.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
    26D_M likes this.
  13. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Even using the bunking skills of some of the old hand 50s/60s spotters on this forum I would imagine you would have
    more chance getting into the Bank of England vaults than 10A!

14. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Out of curiosity, have the appropriate reporting numbers been made up for this? I wonder if the effort we see in to recreations of 1T57 will also be echoed here! Would be a nice touch to see No. 9 with the RCTS headboard...

60017 likes this.
  15. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Its steam Yeti so go to see it

Bruv

16. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Just like the old days of double and triple overnights then. Oh I had forgotten this is 2014. Somebody needs to sort out NR

Don

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Galateas been known to do a test run as Leander before now, would be interesting if she was painted black as 45690 :)

andalfi1 likes this.
  18. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Won't be seeing much at that hour of night! Just enough in to the realms of darkness for Stealth Stanier to emerge ;)

19. Tiviot Dale

Tiviot Dale New Member

Yes, although the 2014 train is actually 1Z75, a 1X75 handrail mounting reporting number board has been prepared and, as I write, is already mounted on 46233 waiting at Crewe Heritage Centre. With possible (but, admittedly, unlikely) repercussions arising through the utilisation of a RCTS headboard on a non-RCTS tour, a replica of the latter has been manufactured, but actually bearing the more appropriate letters RTCO.

Attached is a 'doctored' version of a picture to be seen in the "1964-Last Summer of the Duchesses" book, the original depicting 46256 stood at Crewe awaiting departure on 26/09/64. You will notice that the reporting number is not mounted quite horizontally and, likewise, neither is the one on 46233. ('Tis indeed a pity that we can't also include an ex-LNER brake immediately behind the tender, as occurred in 1964 ... now that really would make it all even more authentic!)

The 1X75 was actually removed from 46256 at Preston, but, that will not be possible in today's arguably overly-protective 'elf 'n safety conscious age, and it will stay on the engine all day. Regrettably, it would also appear unlikely that either board could have been transferred to 60009 at Carlisle, once again due to the close proximity of the 25kv overheads. 60007 had an different Eastern Region type one on the top bracket, anyway, when it actually backed down onto the train at Carlisle (there is also a picture of this in the book), but I do have a photo of Bill Ashcroft (organiser) removing this before departure and replacing it with the RCTS one. Meanwhile, 60009 - which came on at Niddrie West Jcn - carried nothing.

Attached Files:

• 1X75.jpg
      1X75.jpg
      File size:
      1,011.3 KB
      Views:
  20. RalphW

Left Carnforth and diesel removed