If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Wessex - April 27th

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Apr 10, 2012.

1. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I travelled on the train and had a good day out in spite of being in the 817th carriage from the front. A few photos that I grabbed during the day can be seen here. Main Line & Swanage Railway - Friday 27th April 2012 - Paul Gildersleve's Photos | SmugMug

Regards,

Paul

2. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I dislike 70013 being referred to as "Ollie".

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It certainly was a cracking day out on Friday. Only our third run with 35028 on the ML (I thought it was the second but forgot about one we did with Past Time rail) and another impressive performance from Clan Line and her DBS crews. After encountering the terrible weather in the morning things turned out very well on the Dorset Coast with summer-like conditions for the duration of our visit. Even though we were near the rear of the train (coach H) we could hear the Bulleid chatter very well throughout the day. Highlights of the outward run included racing through Winchester at speed, the climb from Worgret to Furzebrook and the epic slog from Corfe Castle to Harmans Cross. Also credit to the the Swanage Railway for having 34028 in action. For those on the train that didn't know she was running it really was a pleasant surprise as we rolled into Corfe Castle past Eddystone. One of the best parts of the day when 34028 departed Swanage on the 14.45 service and worked past 35028 on shed was slightly ruined by the "Official Swanage photographer" in an orange jacket standing on some steps in the way of everyone else gathered in the shed viewing area. A bit inconsiderate many of us thought.

The return run was also very good with a powerful climb up to Grateley and some excellent fast running before and after the water stop at Andover. It was most enjoyable to overtake an electric unit after Basingstoke as the driver of the unit attempted to try to get past us again as it kept pace for a short while but then slowed for a station stop. We were really racing along the fast line at this point. Great stuff!
    Thanks to all involved for a very memorable day out and for creating a little bit of railway history as 35028 finally made it to Swanage. My Father actually saw the return leg of the February 1966 LCGB railtour at Wrecclesham, Farnham and got an "action shot" of 35028 charging past him on his Box Brownie.

Thanks also to B1 for telling us to look for the BBC South report on the internet.

And a big thankyou to the MNLPS as without them we wouldn't have the magnificent 35028 here today and delighting so many.

Below are some shots from Friday, with the first showing my Father (on the right) getting a picture of 35028 rolling into Woking. The next shows one of the crew being interviewed for the TV. The fourth shot has the two 28's passing with the "Official SR Photographer" in front of CL's nameplate! And the last shot was hastily taken into the sun at the reversing point near Southampton :
    DSCN1226_2.JPG DSC06292_2.JPG DSC06297_2.JPG Two 28's Swanage 3_2.jpg DSCN1243_2_2.JPG

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Looking at the videos list on Youtube on one of her recent VSOE runs she had a Black background to her nameplate but on The Royal Wessex she has red background namplates.

Do the MNLPS change the nameplates for Railtours?

I must say I may have to think about doing my first solo railtour at somepoint and wouldn't mind it being 35028 as she's a great, reliable loco and was the loco on my first railtour (The Canterbury Belle in January 1998) and although I've seen her a few times on her VSOE's in recent years would love my 3rd trip behind her especially as my last with 35028 was The Treacle Eater to Yeovil in October 1999!.

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Yes, him standing there like that does seem to mess it up for the paying customers.

And I reckon the spot you used would have got a better shot? It's a lovely shot you took that needs a lot of Photoshop work. Easier said than done, but in such circumstances I try and remember to stay put after the action has ended and retake the photo without the object in the way. Makes subsequent Photoshopping easier.

6. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
  7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Yes they do. The black plates are used on the OE pullmans and the red on tours.

8. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Thanks for that. Doesn't matter what colour because she is always kept beautiful.

9. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

There's a little more to it than that, IIRC. The red-background plates are originals, while the black ones are replicas. The red plates are used for "special occassions" and the black ones for regular work. Given that most of the few "normal" tours she runs are linked with an anniversary of some kind, she often carries the red plates for these trips, and seldom on VSOE trips, but I have seen all variations.

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Was there a set pattern to whether MN's had red or black backed plates or did Eastleigh paint them at random ?.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

All the MN original nameplates were on a red background with the flag set on a pale green/blue background. The black was introduced by the MNLPS for the replica plates that it carries on the OE work.