If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 2021

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LittleRedTrain, Jul 5, 2021.

1. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No more detail in the apology e-mail from RTC today , just:
    "The issue with this locomotive was not one that could be fixed at Taunton and so this necessitated us arranging for a different diesel locomotive to come from the depot at Southall to haul the train from Taunton on the return journey."

No offer of a part-refund for the truncated journey, but to be honest, I wasn't too fussed with the change anyway given we at least got the advertised steam haulage.

Fair play to the staff on the day for quickly coming with a plan B, and hopefully the passengers who did opt to go to Looe enjoyed themselves.
    We opted to stay in Plymouth as we didn't fancy being potentially stuck on a bus in Cornish Bank Holiday traffic, and we at least got to eat an ice cream by the sea.

crusader612 likes this.
  2. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Here's my footage of 45690 Leander making a monstrous climb up Hemerdon Bank. With a brilliant exhaust and no train in the other direction to worry about, it was absolutely amazing. I hope you enjoy the video.

4. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

45690 climbs the final few yards to the summit of Hemerdon with the returning Royal Duchy yesterday evening in low light.

The noise as it approached was loud, but the going away once over the top was something I don't think I've ever heard from a Jubilee before. We could hear it for a good 5 minutes afterwards before it was eased.

lms on hemerdon.003.jpeg

Thanks to the support crew of 45690 and WCR for organising this treat for the eyes and ears.

James

5. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

10.5 mph minimum on Hemerdon, but the overall time was slower than 29/8. Overall a very similar performance. The time Exeter to Plymouth (62 min 57 sec was good but largely due to a clear path meaning a quicker than usual run down Dainton. All climbs were, at best, mid-table; sounded good though!

Thanks to all who made it happen.

KristianGWR likes this.
  6. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Bit late, but here's my offering from Rattery and Hemerdon. Enjoy! :)