If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

THE ROYAL ALBERT 150 - Sat. May 2nd - 6024??

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Down the nick!!, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Down the nick!!

Down the nick!! New Member

various
    With 6024 being currently unavailable, wondered if anyone knows if this will be cancelled/postponed or hauled by something else. There are various events going on around Saltash to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Brunels bridge.
    Many Thanks Simon

2. Down the nick!!

various
    This trip is still on The Railway Touring Co. website, but is not available to book online.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Going from previous experience of their website this usually means the trip is about to be postponed or cancelled. But I could be wrong.............

4. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Since the trip is tied in with other celebrations, if 6024 is not available, I'd expect a different loco to be substituted, if possible. 5029 would be my first choice, assuming her support crew are available.

5. Robbo

Robbo Member

I would tend to agree with green five, especially as "The Royal Albert 150 is sponsored by 6024 Preservation Society Limited".
    But you never know - it would be good to see another GW loco step in...

6. IKB

IKB Member

Personally, while I am a great fan of the King, and hope she can soon be repaired,
    a Castle would be much more appropriate for this run.

Although the King has crossed the bridge a number of times in preservation,
    as many of us know, Kings did not (or were supposed not to have done so),
    during their working lives. Thus the main motive power for expresses in & out of Cornwall,
    would most likely have been, Castles, Counties etc.

Having said all that, the important thing is that a steam loco of some description hauls a train over the Bridge that weekend.
    It is one of the most significant anniversaries for GWR fans in this part of the country, to occur in our lifetimes.
    The people of Saltash have put a lot of effort into celebrating the day, & without a steam hauled trip over the bridge, the rest of the celebrations will seem a bit flat.

7. IKB

IKB Member

UK Steam now showing this as cancelled.
    I guess they haven't been able to rearrange.
    Be a bit like having a wedding reception without the bride & groom,
    but never mind, the party willl go on!

8. mousesteam

mousesteam New Member

I suppose i will now have to wait for the ROYAL ALBERT 200 , 6024 will be 129years old by then,but i will only be 115 !!. What are the chances of us both making it :-k

9. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Whoops, my mistake - now corrected. I meant to show the 18 April trip to Carmarthen as cancelled !

David

10. Down the nick!!

various
    A bit of a 'Heart-Stopper' there David!! As part of the 150th Anniversary celebrations I'm hoping to take part in a walk across the bridge early on the Sunday morning (3rd May) Network Rail permitting! [-X 8-[ ](*,) [-o< =D> (This walk is oversubscribed, as is a second date in June, I believe.) Will be travelling down to stay in Saltash on the Saturday, so the prospect of a 'steamer' over the bridge would be the icing on the cake. [-o< [-o< Have booked a night in Dawlish along the sea wall on the Sunday just to round the weekend off. Heres hoping something gets sorted for the Saturday.
    Simon

11. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

So if the trip is not cancelled is the plan to have 6024, given the lack of news I have to assume not, sad though this is.

I guess options might be 5029 if it's a DBS job or 70013 if WCRC are in charge. As somebody booked on the tour it would be nice to know if it's likely on or off.

12. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    It depends on the stock, if it's air braked only (required by DBS/EWS) that rules out 70013,5043 & only leaves 5029 or 34067 or one of the A4's. Even 35028! Can't see a Stanier pacific being brought down.

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Are Halls still out of gauge past Devonport ?, plenty of GWR power out there, gauging and TOC permitting.

14. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I know that in the eyes of the general public a steam engine is a steam engine but I would have thought
    that if 6024 can't make it substitution by another GWR loco would be most appropriate.
    Let's hope something can be done to save this tour.

15. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Tangmere is busy that weekend with the through trains to Swanage, and Clan Line is taking the VSOE to Oxford. You can't even have a black five, because 45407 and 45231 are going to Blaenau Ffestiniog that day. (I want to be in four places at once that weekend!)

WCRC are quite happy to drive 5029, as they will be doing over the next few days. I agree that a GW loco would be most appropriate. Given that the train was planned for the King, they'd probably need to reduce the load by a coach for a solo Castle (don't want a repeat of 5029's last Welsh Marches run), or else go for a double-header. Maybe Kinlet Hall could stay at the WSR during April to pilot which Castle is available?

If it has to be a Class 8, the choice is between Bittern, Lizzie and the Duchess.

16. IKB

IKB Member

Probably all sorts of reasons why this couldn't happen (TOC/braking etc) but would the 5043 boys like another outing????

17. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Could they do double headed castles either way, i.e I assume that Nunney is dual braked as I recall that Tyseley are planning a double header with the two, equally if it is airbraked is EOME through piped.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member

Where's the booking form............

19. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

5029 is Dual Braked, 5043 is Vac only, unsure if through piped mind.

20. Bob Meanley

Bob Meanley New Member

Sorry to ruin the speculation chaps, but 5043 will not be made available for this train or any other double headed Castle train that is not a Vintage Trains tour for the foreseeable future.

Bob