If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Robin Hood - Sunday 9 November 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by spicer21, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A couple of shots from me. can be found Here I couldn't decide as I like them both! :)

2. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Ta very much :)

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Regarding what is apparently a local ruling regarding support coaches when turning locomotives at Lincoln, the best shunting move I've ever seen is two tender-first locomotives reversing 12 passenger carriages- with the two support coaches coupled to the tender of what would become the train locomotive- at Carlisle in January, thus taking the concept of an auto-train 'sandwich' formation to a completely new level...

spicer21 likes this.
  4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

5. peckett

peckett Member

It must have been more than 52 years ,1962,that was the first year of the accelerated services on the midland with diesel locos. Manchester to Crewe went electric in 1960. A good. many Scots were in store by then. What diversions are you thinking of.?
    1959 to 61 were the years for Scots on the Midland when they were transferred to help out Jubilees and Black 5s. 46115 wasn't one of them.

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Indeed peckett, and living next to the MML between Chesterfield and Sheffield at that time, the diet was very much class 5 and 6 motive power on passenger services until the Scots and rebuilt Patriots arrived from the Western division. In the 1950's the only class 7 passenger engines I recall were the Sunday diversions of St Pancras -Manchester expresses that were diverted away from the Matlock line, to run via Chesterfield and the Hope Valley. I think the reason originally for no routine class 7 engines was the need to undertake some bridge strengthening. ( And possibly a lack of suitable class 7 engines to populate the MML with anyway...)
    Strange though that the unrebuilt Patriots based at Bristol Barrow Rd battled on with the heavy SW-NE expresses, despite being well past their prime.
    Back on-topic, credit due to Mr Smith's people at Carnforth for turning an utter wreck into what we see today.
    Must admit listening to the video above of 46115 accelerating through Bedford that I never recall hearing a Scot or Rebuilt Patriot "talking" so loud, and by the sound of it, spot on valve events. Must have some good people at Carnforth!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  7. leander

leander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks to every body who organized Sundays trip can we have another trip out of ST PANCRAS next year to Manchester please

8. royals pete

royals pete Member

Interesting....no overhead wires in sight !!!!!!! Great vids....Pete

9. peckett

peckett Member

Yes it was lack of 7Ps on the L M S but not route availability, that kept the Scots off the Midland. There were two occasions in the 1950s when there was a Scot" fest" on the Midland .One was on the occasion of the Harrow and Wealdstone disaster, the other was when a empty wagon train derailed at Wolverton .Most WCML trains diverted via Nuneaton and Wigston to London. Class 8 s that were banned, came off at Crewe or Nuneaton.
    Leeds very ,very occasionally sent one on the overnight sleepers. Lads working as register clerks in the signal boxes used to report these ,never saw one myself.

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I wonder whether it would have been necessary to shunt the support coach to the other end of the set at Lincoln? When loco and support coach are leaving the train before the final destination (e.g. Steam Dreams trips that are steam-hauled back as far as Willesden), then it's required, but since the whole train was returning to Southall afterwards, how much difference would it actually make if steam loco and support coach were at opposite ends for half the trip? I can see it's inconvenient for the support crew at water stops, but is there more to it than that?