If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Pendle Dalesman 12 March 2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by SteveKesterton, Oct 1, 2015.

1. SteveKesterton

SteveKesterton New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I appreciate that this trip is a long way ahead (and hope I have posted this in the right place!).

I am looking to book 4 places on this trip but the timings on the way back seem too tight to be going via the Cumbrian coast route back south. i really want to do this bit of line by steam but WCRC are unable to confirm if the trip is coming back to Carnforth via that route.

Does anyone have any info that me be able to assist me - if its coming back via Shap I don't think we will bother as its the attraction of both the S&C and coast routes in a day by steam that are appealing to us.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist/advise :)

2. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

SteveKesterton likes this.
  3. SteveKesterton

Thanks for your reply 5098 - that is exactly what I was thinking, its too quick a return trip to be going down the Coast!

4. SteveKesterton

Just noted that WCRC have amended the return route as follows:

Our return Journey is likely to be via the West Coast Main Line to Carnforth where we will switch back to Diesel power and whisk you home after what is sure to be a fantastic day out.

Shame, would have been great to do the S&C as well as the Coast route in a day, but no way in those timings!

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Last week there was a WCRC diesel tour from Kidderminster to Carlisle via the coast and S&C, that proved to be a full day, 17+ hours so from Hereford with steam on S&C, the coast was never going to be possible.

SteveKesterton likes this.
  6. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

With the closure of the S&C, presumably this tour (if it runs) will be going via the coast after all - but in which direction?

There is also a WCME on the same day. Two steam trains running the full length of the coast in one day - when did that last happen?

andalfi1 likes this.