If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Mayflower 17th June 2017: Now 15/04/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Were it not for something else up the ECML on that date I probably would have booked on this. The whole affair is simply one of those instances when it would be great if somehow across all parties involved - Network Rail, West Coast, loco owner and organiser - a solution could be found that ended up with a steam locomotive on the front and a diesel on the back. There is still two weeks to go and I find it hard to believe that collective minds can't be applied to find a solution. Yes, this is just one charter train and we continually hear that the charter team at Milton Keynes is stretched, but honestly......And how long has this problem been going on and why hasn't Network Rail sorted out staffing levels and expertise, if that is indeed the problem?

Wingsandwheels and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Different locos have been pressed into service at short notice many times before, I'll bet that WCR have been looking for every option in this instance, but if NR say no then that's appears to be the end of it.

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Well it was stated in post 35 that the gauging issue had been resolved , and that 61306's first rostered trip for SD ( according to the website) is the 1/7/2018, that appears to be the case .It was previously rostered for the 3/5/18 acording to the last SD brochure.

4. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I would hate to be a tour organizer, but I sort of got the feeling based on the number of delays this tour has had that Mayflower was seen as the major component of this tour. I wonder why this time a Black 5 was deemed acceptable as an alternative (rather than wait for Mayflower) when I would imagine there would have been that option before. Maybe they had just got tired of the whole episode and want it over an done with, or does the upcoming timetable change totally scupper it?

5. Paul42

We were notified on the 13/2/18 that a gauging issue meant Mayflower was not permitted over the East Suffolk line, and that was it was to be replaced by a Black 5. What we do not know is when the gauging issue was resolved, and when 61306 was no longer available.

6. Paul42

Steam Railway received today, states that after a new survey of the down platform at Woodbridge, the restriction for Mayflower was lifted on the 28/2/18 , and that the overhaul of the B1 is not expected to be completed in time for the charter.

Devonbelle likes this.
  7. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The SR article said May, but Steam Dreams has now re-allocated Mayflower's turns for both May and June to 45212.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just returning to this one after yesterday's British Pullman trip around Kent where, as I understand it, at relatively short notice, Network Rail gauged a route and also found a path so it could run.

It looks as though the need for an alternative locomotive was known about for some time and almost certainly to a longer lead-in time than the diverted Pullman trip. So if it's possible for one charter then it should be possible for another. My guess, therefore, is that there were far more complexities with the Mayflower than we know about. It could simply be, of course, that Network Rail's attitude was that it'll run, just not with the requested motive power so what's the problem?

All very sad, nonetheless.

9. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

No amount of pontification or speculation will generate a definitive answer to these questions. As with many topics, only if the person with knowledge chooses to enlighten proceedings will it become any clearer. Comment only seems forthcoming generally to shoot down false rumour, so in the absence of such the best that can be acheived is perhaps an inference drawn?