If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Magna Carta A1SLT/ UKRT 8th October

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Sep 28, 2016.

1. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    'The Magna Carta', seen at Langford (Biggs.), Peterborough and St Neots

46223 likes this.
  2. TH Railway Videos

TH Railway Videos New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    60163 'Tornado' on "The Magna Carta" railtour today, seen at St Neots (x2), Ivatts Way and Peterborough

3. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Despite the late departure, we arrived back at KX about 7 min ahead of schedule.

Despite the incident at Spalding it was still a great day out with plenty of pure steam mileage.
    Credit to everyone involved, especially sorting out the diversion and extra shunting required at Lincoln.

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

We had a very spirited dash homeward from the Connington water stop to the signal stop at Hitchin where we were held to let the late running Cambridge service go onto the fast ahead of us as it should have. About a minute outside even time but some speedy running and a good climb to Leys courtesy of Steve Hanczar (d) and Jim Wright (f).

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Just to add to the report about yesterday. The run from the Claypole Loop pathing stop to the signal stop at Werrington Junction was also lively. We were late away from the loop but accelerated steadily up through Peascliffe with 66 through Grantham, maintained 65 on the climb to the tunnel with 64 at the top as we entered the slow line and then 70+ down to Werrington where we were now early and held for the 1A43 Leeds to KGX to precede us on the FL.

The load for the day was a very manageable 10 for 390 gross and this was reflected in the quite rapid acceleration at times. The loco was managed well all day by the crews who were prepared to hurry the train along when possible. I have to say that there is a fairly select short list of locomotives 'fit for purpose' for speedy running on the ECML and this is clearly one of them.

6. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Yet another good day out with Tornado. Still, wouldn't have swapped it for the superb day out we had with 5043. Pity 'proper steam' tours like this clash.

7. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  8. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    I just thought that I'd say that I did spot the black humour.:)

Big Al likes this.
  9. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Still plenty of Tornado action to look forward to, beyond the pre-Xmas excursions, with the just-announced (via the UK Railtours website) outings in 11th February to Shrewsbury from Victoria via the WCML (The Red Rose), and to Cardiff on 1st March from Paddington via the GWML (The Saint David).

The former appears to be a change from the previous indication of an outing to Leeds ("The White Rose") on that day. RAF Cosford and the Blists Hill Museum at Ironbridge are billed as the big, and very worthy, sideshows of the day for those not going through to the Shrewsbury destination. Interestingly, the outward trip is planned to be routed via Rugby/ Coventry, whereas the return is indicated to be via Walsall/ Water Orton/ Nuneaton. So Tornado returns to the WCML. Wonder what kind of path NR might come up with for this.

Then 1st March. Outward is advertised as being direct/ via Severn Tunnel. But return is billed as via Gloucester/ Sapperton. What's not to like? Only, I guess, that at that day/ date time the GMT sunset time is going to significantly impinge on the ability to establish visual reference points for timing purposes. So I suppose GPS devices will be the order of the day to get the really meaningful stuff out of Tornado's east-bound assault on Sapperton, which should, in itself, be worth the whole entrance fee all by itself.

Sadly, a long time to wait for these trips. In the meantime, anything more to add on Tornado's outing with the Magna Carta? My impression was that, like the Curate's Egg, it was certainly good in parts and whenever/ wherever it could be. 273 unadulterated steam miles and just over 100 miles of that total at speeds befitting an East Coast thoroughbred probably speaks for itself. Despite the unplanned issues of the day, and their consequences/ complications, so much to give thanks for with this outcome, methinks.

rule55 likes this.