If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Jacobite 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Jacobite (Morning Train) 18 July 2017 – 45407 “Lancashire Fusilier” hauling 7

Earlier this year Mrs W and I reached a significant wedding anniversary. I asked her how she would like to celebrate it and she replied that she would like a foreign holiday . . . is Scotland foreign? . . I wouldn’t dare! So a couple of weeks after we returned from Greece we headed north. Leaving late Monday morning we set out up the M6, travelling light engine with water stops at Tebay and Abington; Shap and Beattock were dismissed at full line speed. We arrived late afternoon for our planned overnight stop on the outskirts of Dumbarton.

The following morning we were away early for the final leg up the A82 to Fort William; the roads were reasonably clear and we arrived around an hour before departure with plenty of time for breakfast in the adjacent Morrisons’ cafe. There was not a cloud in the sky and the forecast was for a hot and sunny day. We strolled along the platform, past coach D where the guard was busy selling day tickets to a very lengthy queue of hopeful passengers and then a quick word with Ian Riley who said he hoped to be driving but that might change if the Inspector wanted to drive. We continued to the front where a couple of IR’s young men were tending to the fire of an immaculately turned out 45407. As we headed back to the rearmost coach (G), we passed Steve Chipperfield, dressed in his working togs, who was heading towards the loco; Inspector/Driver?

A couple of minutes late we were off and from the outset 45407 sounded “absolutely spot-on”. As it was already warm on the train every window that would open was open and pretty soon the fine cinders began to swirl in. Beyond Corpach where the line and road are close there was a re-enactment of the scene from Titfield Thunderbolt where for over a mile we ran neck and neck with a coach. To our left Loch Eil was mirror-like and there were several herons along the shoreline. 45407 was now working as the climb up through Glenfinnan began to bite and the shower of cinders became heavier. We eased for the horseshoe of Glenfinnan viaduct, where most vantage points were filled with spectators and then on to Glenfinnan station where we stopped just short to allow the Fort William bound Scot Rail train into the loop, before we drew forward and passengers were allowed a few minutes to disembark.

We were away 1L and on to the final couple of miles to the summit; 45407 lifted the train with ease. A short descent and then along a level stretch with Loch Eilt to our right. Beyond Lochailort the sea appeared on our left, then inland and past Loch Dubh before skirting the coast for a couple of miles before turning inland again and climbing away. This was followed by a descent to Arisaig, beyond where we turned inland and away from the road which we rejoined before Morar and then our final descent into Mallaig where we arrived at 12.28 (2L). What had promised to be a glorious summer’s day had now become one.

Haddock, chips and peas for two at an upstairs cafe overlooking the harbour was followed by a stroll along the harbour just in time to see the Calmac ferry back away from the jetty, turn in its own length, and set sail for Skye.

With 45407 now coupled to the other end of the train and running tender first we took our seats in coach B; one coach and one locomotive length nearer the chimney – and it was louder. At 14.12 (1L) we departed and, following a short stop after only a couple of hundred yards, we began the climb out of Mallaig; 45407 sounded magnificent. The return journey was the equal of the outward one; more scenery than you could “shake a stick at” and all the right noises coming from the front. Inside the coach it was becoming oppressively hot, the tunnels were a welcome respite from the hot sun. We stopped in Glenfinnan station 7E and a couple of minutes later 45212 hauling the afternoon train hissed its way slowly into the loop. It stopped just short of “our window” and in just the right place to see the Saltires on the buffer beam and the Jacobite headboard on the smokebox door. We were away again 4E, and over the viaduct where the spectators were out in even greater number. As we passed along the shores of Loch Eil, there was a single cormorant but the herons had all gone (too hot?). All too soon we arrived back in Fort William (8E). By the time we were out of the train 45407 had detached and was running round.

Time for a walk up into the centre and an ice cream (Mrs W had pistachio and I had toffee ripple, both waffle cones). We set off back to Dumbarton around 17.00 when the temperature was still 26C. The journey did not go as planned as we encountered about 6 miles of stop/start traffic near Luss which added an hour to our journey.

We returned home on Wednesday. A thoroughly enjoyable trip, perfect weather, perfect scenery, superbly turned out loco which ran like a sewing machine, professionally organised and run – our thanks to all involved especially WCRC (who I feel attract unfair criticism from some individuals for simply being WCRC).

I was amazed by the very large number of overseas passengers; what a good revenue earner not only for WCRC and the local communities but for Scotland and the UK. Though many passengers appeared to have “very little English” the words “Harry” and “Potter” did appear to be spoken with some regularity, especially around Glenfinnan viaduct. A fact not lost on WCRC who had a distinctly Harry Potter marketing / merchandise theme.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

I spotted a post somewhere the other day that the new £10 notes will have a Black Five crossing Glenfinnan Viaduct on them. I bet Ian is pretty chuffed that there'll be one of his loco's in all the wallets, purses, pockets, tills etc etc around the country!

3. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Dated 22 July 2017 I see. Am I reading it two days prematurely? Excellent report nonetheless.

Peter

4. CLN_WVR

CLN_WVR Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Wasn't that a new note from one of the Scottish banks (OK still in lots of wallets)

5. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks Peter, it was Tuesday 18th, Saturday 22nd may be another adventure yet to come.

6. iancawthorne

Yes, "Bank of Scotland". We get plenty of Scottish notes in north Cumbria though, so I guess there is a bit of an overspill to England! The old tenner had the viaduct before, but the Black Five is an addition.

7. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I forgot to mention that the experience of riding on the Jacobite is greatly enhanced as the train is travelling along "jointed rail" making it even more of a 1950/60s feel . . . Clickety-clack, Clickety-clack.

8. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's only the Scottish tenner issued by Clydesdale Bank not the English one, think that has Jane Austen

henrywinskill likes this.
  9. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Cant understand why the conversation turns to bank notes when the thread is about Britains best steam journey. so boring !!!!!!

10. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Because I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed when they get their cash from the ATM to find it doesn't have a picture of Riley's Black 5 on it.

11. 3855

3855 Member

What if perchance it's an older picture and of 45231 ?....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  12. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

I just hope they get the livery right or this will go into meltdown.

Jon

Matt37401 and Johnb like this.
  13. iancawthorne

Early crest on the tender narrows it down to 44871 or 45407 :Pompus:

oldmrheath likes this.
  14. iancawthorne

"Awaits Youtube video to do with money" :Resistanceisfutile:

15. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    To busy checkin my notes Ian lol

16. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Legal tender then?

Jon

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    You coat is behind the door and the taxi has just arrived.......

PaulT and oldmrheath like this.
  18. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Which locos are running over the next few days? Heard the afternoon train returning from Mallaig as we finished pitching our tent at Camusdarach this evening!

Steven

19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Normally one of the Black 5s in the afternoon, morning train could be K1.
    Very brave to be camping up there, I hope the midges aren't on the warpath!

20. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

What is the chance of on the day single tickets, if we were willing to stand in the buffet for example?

There are 2 of us for whom being able to do that on the return of the morning trip tomorrow (14:10) would be great!

Thanks.

Steven