If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Gwili Railway thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    The DMU would normally substitute, unfortunately this had a mechanical problem. This has now been repaired.

We’ve not had the best of luck with locos this year as in addition our standby hire (Jennifer) had to return to Llangollen.

Regards

Matt

2. thb17

thb17 New Member

student
    Hi there,

I saw this on wales online and it made me wonder as parking is so tight at glangwili whether it was worth approaching the hospital/trust and seeing if they could pay for the access road and car park in abergwili junction in return for a load of staff permits in the car park? The problem with the car parking space in mainly on the week days, so for special events the whole car park may be available for the railway? Probably a really stupid idea but I thought I would share it!!!

Tom

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/...ook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wales_carm

3. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Instrumentation, Control & Automation Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They have been talking about this for ages, including options for using the car park not just for the hospital but for things like overnight HGV parking and as an additional weekday park and ride in December for shoppers. I think it all comes down to money. Remember the access is off a 70 MPH dual carriageway and quite a few years ago the cost of just getting the the slip roads and signage up to the site entrance (not including laying the car park) was estimated to be around the £200,000 to £250,000 mark.
    Then you have the problem of sharing the parking. It's not only the hospital staff but lots of visitors as well and that is for 7 days a week, whether the railway is running or not. How would you ensure that there are enough spaces left for the railways customers? Have a separate cordoned off area with controlled access for hospital staff? But then what stops them parking on the 'Gwili' spaces anyway?
    When we were looking at developing the Abergwili site I estimated we'd need about 200 spaces for the really busy times like Santa's. The best number of spaces I could fit into the area proposed for the car park was 209 plus 14 disabled and 6 coaches, the original planning application plans only show about 160 spaces. I have a horrible suspicion that once hospital staff and visitors realised they could park there (for free) there wouldn't be much room left for the railway's visitors.
    There was a (tongue in cheek?) suggestion that we should forget about developing the Abergwili site for the railway and make as much of a car park as we could. Charging just £1 - £2 a day it would generate a significant income for the railway even when nothing' s running...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    jnc likes this.
  4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Not at all, it’s a very sensible idea and one we have explored. The parking at Glangwili is getting worse, no doubt about it.

There are a number of practical problems, not least finding the funds to pay for it. The railway itself needs better parking as the yard at Bronwydd can’t cope on busy days. Making money on the parking is sensible. There is a business down the road which charges £1.50 a day to park and has 300 cars a day so it’s basically a license to print money if we could only build the thing in the first place...

Regards

Matt

jnc likes this.
  5. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update

Pit nearing completion

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    JBTEvans, Johnme101, nick813 and 3 others like this.
  7. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    More good news, after a mere 42 years we finally have an operational engine shed! The pit road has been finished and we have capacity for two 0-6-0ST’s or equivalent.

The first recipient is the chassis of “Moorbarrow” which is receiving a bottom end overhaul while the boiler is away.

She is due to be joined by the chassis of “Haulwen” in the near future which is due to have the boiler lifted out next week ahead of assessment.

The shed project represents a three-year, £40,000 investment. There remains some work to do on the shed, including the installation of the concrete floor to complete the works but for now we can at least get under cover.

Stay tuned as there might be a couple more surprises in the near future...

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

8. thb17

thb17 New Member

student
    The news about tvr 28 is the greatest news ever. With those four wheeler carriages it will be one of the best heritage train sets in the uk. It will make the gwili valley come to life with welsh heritage and really put it on the map ! I am so excited.

Tom

9. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update

Haulwen’s boiler has been lifted from the frames ready to be inspected so the extent of work can be determined for overhaul.

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

pevans945@btinternet.com and jnc like this.