If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Gwili Railway thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Off topic but I wouldn't read too much into an estimate for the entire 3,500 square mile Weald basin based on the results of a single test well, I gather this kind of thing is common.

Gatwick oil discovery: UKOG issues climbdown as black gold boom 'sounds too good to be true'

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I agree a little OT at this stage, but while there may or may not be 3,500 sq. miles out there, there's oil all the same, ready to enter a highly competetive, global market. Any new source thus has the potential to affect global prices to some degree.

3. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Bringing the thread back from speculation about oil to the Gwili Railway ( :)), does anyone know whether the bridges between Danycoed and Cynwil could carry lighter narrow gauge rails and stock in their current condition? Or would strengthening work be needed even for this? Also, what is the distance between Danycoed and Cynwil?

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    We had a survey completed in the bridges recently. To give a summary-

The distance between Danycoed and Conwil is about 1 mile

There are 3 bridges on this stretch, numbers 10.11 and 12.

Bridge 10 consists of two wrought iron girders (similar to B9) and the other two are stone arch, all dating from the line's construction in the 1860's. The bridges were strengthened in the 1950's ahead of the Royal Train visiting the line.

There is general repair work required to all of the bridges as one might expect before they could be used again. In particular the girders on B10 are life expired and would either have to be replaced or perhaps a new bridge constructed in between the girders such as Nursery Pool on the South Devon.

B11 and 12 would probably be more straightforward in terms of running NG over and indeed the Teifi used to run over a similar bridge on their line.

The dream (for me) is still that the Gwili would be SG Carmarthen to Conwil as that gives a decent stretch of line through some attractive scenery. We can also dream that Conwil station will be recreated in original form as a classic GWR country station.....both platforms still exist and were rebuilt in the 1980's.

Regards

Matt

nanstallon, al4466 and nick813 like this.
  5. JWKB

JWKB Member

Just to throw another point in there is actually only two bridges you would need to worry about in the current 'ideas' of NG Danycoed to Conwil. As there is insufficient space in the Danycoed station to put a NG station therefore this would have to be the other side of bridge 10, so the bridge would only need to be fit for foot passage. Still no mean feat but a little simpler !

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    True, I would still favour SG Carmarthen to Conwil and NG Conwil to Llanpumsaint (there are three bridges on that section too....)

That would give 5 miles SG and 3 miles NG which would be a decent day out!

7. burmister

burmister Member

We used to stay with a family who had a small hillside farm just to the north of Conwil station. When the milk trains still ran (Hymeks and lots of flange squeal) the access to the house was by a deep river ford ( tractor/landrover only even in summer) and then up to and over a farm crossing to the farm. After the line was shut and 'lifted' ( a lot of the sleepers were so rotten your walking boots sank into them) access was changed to go in by the station, across the river by the railway bridge and up to the farm house leaving the track bed at the old farm crossing. At that time the track bed was still clear of course and it was an easy walk to Llanpumsaint and the other way towards Carmarthen over the bridges on the weed free ballast - I remember a lot of lineside furniture was still in place. Looking at Google this morning the farm still uses this access which might restrict any reinstatement plans ?

Brian

8. JWKB

JWKB Member

No issues with reinstating as the railway owns the track bed and we have taken steps to prevent it becoming a right off way. I'm sure Matt can clarify the situation but it's a non issue.

9. Gareth

Gareth New Member

Personally i would like to see if the NG railway establish a base in Pencader and extend North to Llandyssul (Provided that the track bed can be purchased) so that in the future the two railways could join in Pencader where the original Newcastle Emyln branch was and the site is probably he station with the biggest yard and space for facilities . I appreciate that it's not the aim of the Gwili Railway to reach Pencader in the short to medium term, but it could provide the incentive for further Northern extensions and the near 1000 yard Pencader tunnel would be one hell of an experience !

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    There is a Light Railway Order in place for the whole route to Llanpumsaint

11. burmister

burmister Member

Frightening to think its 45 plus years ago now since I watched the Hymeks vibrate and echo all around the valley whilst going past. I suspect the area is unrecognizable now but one thing that has not changed I hope is the Buzzards mewing and wheeling overhead. In those days you never saw them in the SE of England.

Brian

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It isn't a new source though - IIRC they've been finding oil and gas in The Weald for over a hundred years and there should be more, but how much and whether it can be recovered commercially can't possibly be determined from the results of a single test well and they later admitted as much.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

As noted on another thread, though, a short-term NG run from Danycoed (or over the bridge 10) to Cynwil to start with. Later, when funds permit bridge strengthening, the NG stretch could be moved to run from Cynwil to Llanpumsaint.
    So win-win all round if the TVR does come looking for a new home :)

14. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Enough with the oil reserves already - this is the Gwili thread ;) Maybe start an oil reserves thread on General Chat??

15. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The problem with having a change of gague is you then need another guard another fireman and another driver, operationally costs would increase a lot and I'm not sure people would justify higher ticket prices? It would truly add something though, and there is amazing scenery up to llanpumpsaint.

Tom

16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Well, this is where the TVR merger comes in. If the TVR (what's left of it) want to bring their rails and stock, one might assume they'll want to run their trains too. A merger should bring in enough people to run both bits. If only the SG runs except in high season, then that's okay too - no different than now when we only have SG and the TVR isn't going anywhere....

17. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The bridge surveys from 2011 give max permitted axle weights in their current conditions as:-

Dan-y-coed

B10 "Significant strengthening required..."! :(

B11 - 19.9 tonnes :)

B12 - 13.9 tonnes o_O

Conwil Station

B13 - 21.6 tonnes :) :)

All need a serious amount of work on the wing walls, spandrel walls and abutments. B 12 has some bulging and cracking on the arch that needs further investigation & attention. B13 is based on an assumption that the arch is the same thickness as B11 & 12 as no trial pit was dug on the crown (excavator failure) This will have to be confirmed before any track is laid.

As far as the trackbed is concerned... Well lets just say the mile and a quarter we have just cleared to take us into Abergwili took three and a half months to clear the forest from the trackbed and embankments. Going north from Conwil is at least twice as bad in many places and the trackbed is impassable in at least one spot. (traverse on the embankment!) It really is a jungle out there. Working parties bring your own machete! (I'm sure I heard drums during my last walk up there)

Alan

18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

19. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    Will TVR 28/GWR 450/NCB 67 ever return?
    Is there some recognisable fund for this locos overhaul?

nick

20. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Hi Nick

There is provision for TVR28 to return at some point, at the moment it is under cover so no immediate rush.

We do have a fund for its upkeep, work is ongoing to identify costs involved in a return to steam and we can go from there

Regards

Matt