If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain XI - 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Aug 2, 2017.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    All looking very much like a swansong for 60009 on the mainline, when does her ticket expire?

2. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Which will hopefully coincide with 60007 taking over the A4 mantle and 60532 adding further LNER flavour to the scene.

4. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

Does this mean there are seats free they want to sell for 1 day but keep them empty for the rest of the tour? Surley not?

5. Groks212

Groks212 Member

Possibly potential passengers from Scarborough don't want to travel down to London for day 1 as they are then back in their home town again for overnight in a hotel there. Also looking at train times there is no train to get them to London for the start unless they

travel the day before and have to overnight in London which means extra costs.

I know that on previous Great Britains I have done, that there are passengers that only do certain days, and I myself am only doing day 1 to 5 this time. RTC were very amenable when I asked if that was possible.

Dave B

6. Will RL

Will RL Member

Having a look at Day 7. It’s been said up thread as well as on UKSteam that 45699 will head from Grange over Sands to Shrewsbury where 48151 will take over for the run to Cardiff. However the RYTC website states that the loco change occurs at Crewe. I would’ve thought Crewe would be the easier of the two to swap locos.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Any thoughts on how Day 8 and Day 9 will work? It seems as though the loco that comes down from Cardiff will also take the train back to London. If that's the case then it will end up chimney first at Weymouth and then chimney first again at Swanage after the reversal back to Wareham. So where does it turn for the return to London on Day 9?

8. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

most likely scenario arrival at Yeovil engine comes off and turns both engines tender to tender with u class leading , arrives at Weymouth locos come off, and uncouple Braunton onto front of train chimney first, U class goes onto rear of train , facing Weymouth and banks the tour, on arrival at Wareham, U class leading will take tour and train engine down the branch , that way she is at the right end and facing London for the return next day.

9. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Or the train goes from Cardiff to Yeovil Jc, then 34046/60009 is turned. It then leads the train back to Yeovil PM, then 31806 leads to Weymouth. That way, 34046/60009 will be facing the right way for day 9.

James

10. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

The only issues with the locos tender to tender on the climb of Evershot I see Martin is splitting them in Jersey sidings. (If RTC do want to double head to Weymouth I think you are correct that is the only way to do it). I am unsure you are allowed to propel out of Weymouth into Jersey sidings (although NR seem to blow hot and cold on such things). If you are not then you would have to T & T from Yeovil, which you may have to do if you can not run round at Pen Mill. I am not sure what is possible in regards to running round one or both locos.

11. Big Al

Just so. Having thought about it the solution, as already implied, is probably to turn Braunton/UoSA at Yeovil and stick it tender first on the back down to Weymouth with 31806 leading on the front. Then keep that top and tail configuration all the way to Swanage where the main engine will be in the right place to take the train to London.

12. martin1656

If running T& T is 31806 powerfull enough to take the bulk of the tour load? as i'm not sure what the rules are on assisting from the rear as if its a heavy train, it will need both engines to be providing power , but of course if the U boat is strong enough, and she is a gutsy little engine , to cope with much of the load and what ever is on the back is just running with its regulator cracked so the mogol is doing most of it, thats going to be one hell of a spectacle .

13. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Why should there be a problem with 34046 pushing from the rear when 31806 is planned to do the self same thing up Bincombe Bank.
    Although 31806 is indeed a gutsy engine it would not, in my view, be powerful enough to haul the GBXI rake of coaches and 34046, with it's support coach, over Evershot Bank [3 miles of gradients varying between 1 in 51 to 1 in 73]. I think 34046 needs to bank over that section.
    Whether 31806 is turned to face Weymouth prior to leaving Swanage I have no idea.
    I wonder if 31806 will travel without a support coach during it's 121 miles on GBXI duties? If it needs one, I think BSK 35464 is still registered for main line operation.

14. martin1656

is that the one used by Tangmere?

15. HerstonHalt

HerstonHalt Member

When the Dorset Coast Express used to use two engines (one on each leg with the 'down' engine banking the 'up' return train up Bincombe as far as Dorch /Wareham) it was commonplace to propel back to Jersey sidings and await the arrival of the 'up' engine from Yeovil Steam Centre.
    It would then couple onto the back if the stock and then just prior to departure the whole consist would shunt back to the station to collect the passengers with an engine on each end.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

16. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Ah those heady days of enough locos for one each way to Weymouth! I have been on tours where "the rules" seem different every time we go there. For example was propelled by a diesel from Holgate sidings back into York for the return leg of the Royal Scot trip from Ealing Broadway trip last November, but have also been there when it was apparently not acceptable. The last two loco DCE trip was I believe Bittern with Tangmere banking when the train returned to Weymouth after the A4 declared a failure at Dorchester South on July 26th 2012. Although there may have been a Tangmere & Cromwell trip mid August that year, not sure. I guess since 2012 we hope the rules at Weymouth remain the same, but a lot has changed on the network in that time.

17. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Propelling from York station to Holgate sidings and vv has always been permitted. As a general rule you are not allowed to propel a train past more than one running signal, although there are exceptions to this in some places as detailed in the relevant sectional appendices. In the case of York there is only one relevant signal for the the move in either direction.

Peter

18. martin1656

It does seem to be a problem this one, what ever happens, the least problematical is for the train to be T&T That way there is no need to shunt at Jersey Sidings, as long as operationally there is not reason to not allow it, if it does need to run double headed, then is there room to separate the engines to release either the WC, or A4 without having to shunt the U, into the station tieing a platform until the other loco has run round ?

19. Big Al

My guess is that the train might only remain long enough at Weymouth to achieve the reversal - i.e. straight in and straight out. Even if it were not then a loco at each end from Yeovil to Weymouth to Wareham to Swanage would logically be the easiest way of managing the trip. The GB is not a long train so it should fit into the platform at Weymouth without too much trouble even if there are two locos and the odd support coach or two.

20. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

The times are starting to trickle in for the GB. I'll do my best once again to keep this post up to date with the times, but I can't promise anything...

UPDATED 18/04, 22:00

Day 1

KGX - Lincoln: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54590/2018/04/19/advanced
    Lincoln - Scarborough: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54594/2018/04/19/advanced

Day 2

Scarborough - Carlisle: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54602/2018/04/20/advanced
    Carlisle - Edinburgh: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54613/2018/04/20/advanced

Day 3

Edinburgh - Inverness: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54622/2018/04/21/advanced

Day 4 - a fairly civilised start time and a reasonable return. That said, it helps enormously that this year's Kyle trip runs on a Sunday. Now that 61264 won't be on the GB, will this be the first Black 5 haulage of the trip?
    Outward: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52325/2018/04/22/advanced
    Return: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52327/2018/04/22/advanced

Day 5
    Inverness - Oxenholme: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54624/2018/04/23/advanced

Day 6
    Rest day, no RTT

Day 7
    Grange-over-Sands - Cardiff: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54636/2018/04/25/advanced

Day 8
    Cardiff - Yeovil Jc: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53362/2018/04/26/advanced
    Yeovil Jc - Swanage: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53364/2018/04/26/advanced

Day 9
    Swanage - London: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53354/2018/04/27/advanced

James

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    iancawthorne and Big Al like this.