If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain VIII

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steam_mad, Jun 19, 2014.

1. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

I think they had been re-varnished.

Andrew N

2. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

3. malc

malc Part of the furniture

The stock for the GB tours has been well turned out every year.

MikeParkin65 likes this.
  4. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

It was 1 C up Cairngorm and in Aviemore earlier today and snowing. Not much warmer all week here, thick snow and ice on the car on two mornings.

ROGace likes this.
  5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Bring on the class 67 ban :D

alastair and Spamcan81 like this.
  7. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    25 Hours! That's over a day.

8. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

I wonder if the drivers name was Robbie........................................Robbie Coltrane! [​IMG]

I'll get my coat....

agalpin likes this.
  9. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

What might have been. This is how the Great Britain looked in 2014. What a contrast with GB8 2015 with all its problems.

class8mikado likes this.
  10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I think time to sympathise with RTC as they try their best to salvage something from the wreckage of GB8.

In fairness the ultimate was steam haulage but, even without this "cherry", the tour and its arrangements represent a good package but it seems that some think diesel traction an inadequate compromise even had the other TOCs been able to provide it. As another poster has pointed out, once the train is on the move and participants start talking to each other there is little difference in the traction apart from drifting steam past the window (if steam comes from steam heat is that any different ?); the itinerary is comprehensive, the scenery superb and - presumably - the accommodation is to the usual high RTC standards.

As some have pointed out RTC could have cancelled at the start and it is to Nigel's credit that he has worked behind the scenes to re-organise as much as possible despite the best hopes of WCRC to remain optimistic. It appears that both NR / ORR are sticking to their deadline and - in fairness - most operators should have allowed for this and presumed the worst-case scenario. At this point in time it seems only Vintage Trains has "bitten the bullet" and cancelled / re-arranged trains on the basis of "worst-case" and their honesty has been appreciated although customers are disappointed. Disappointed perhaps but at least able to plan their own alternatives on the basis of definite news rather than be left in the lurch at last-minute cancellations when it is then too late to make alternative arrangements or cancel hotel bookings etc in time to avoid cancellation charges.

Whilst I feel sorry for those affected I hope the anger and frustration will not be directed at RTC which has had to make costly decisions in which losses will accrue whichever option(s) are chosen. If you feel that someone is at fault then ask yourselves what YOU would do if you were in Nigel Dobbing's shoes - and give credit to Nigel for at least trying to do something for his customers.

Victor, JohnMc and RayMason like this.
  11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If I had shelled out a small fortune for a STEAM hauled tour of GB then that's what I expect to get. If that is not possible then I expect an apology and the option of a full refund. And yes, you are correct about VT - they are the only promoter I have taken the risk of booking with in recent years, with the sole exception of the A1 Trust.

Leslie10646, spicer21 and 47406 like this.
  12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Stop fawning Fred. If the current arrangements represent "a good package," why have around half of the participants baled out at Carnforth? Talking to friends who did just that, it seems the majority of those left on board are overseas participants who can't go home early due to flights etc.

13. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Have to agree. Even Fred's staunch defence acknowledges cancelling upon the suspension taking effect would have been wisest. Doesn't require any hindsight either because all other options required a compromise on the part of the customers that they weren't able to make a choice on .
    Feel for RTC nevertheless, swept along on the wave of misguided optimism within WCRC. Definitely tried to do their best but made the wrong choice.

14. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Last sentence sounds like a summary of many lives.

agalpin likes this.
  15. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

What a bizarre comment. There will be probably be people on that tour for whom this was to be a once-in-a-lifetime special event, something they and family members will have saved up for, and who will now find themselves on a service train to the Far North. I don't think any non-participants should be telling them they should be thankful for the compromise provided.

Jon

joe_issitt, LMarsh1987, 47406 and 2 others like this.
  16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But if the trip had been cancelled at the fairly short notice that RTC had, all the oevrseas passengers would still have their flights etc here for nothing, so a diesel hauled trip is better than no trip at all and a fortnight trying to find things to do and see and hotels to arrange.

17. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

Trying to spot a useful fact here amongst the dribble is tricky, so a specific question where I see a gap in our understanding.

Just who was RTC talking to when the tour was declared 'go'? Was it just West Coast? Message 188 announced the plan. If it was just the word of WCRC I find that surprising.

David

18. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    I have to disagree with you Ralph,GB8 has been a disaster and no one who paid for the product can seriously be satisfied at what they got.
    As for air fares etc just claim from WCRC as they are responsible for the disgrace that the trip became

47406 likes this.
  19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Then the overseas visitors would have stayed at home and claimed on their holiday insurance.

20. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Correct.
    As said previously as soon as the suspension took effect with its outline timescales WCRC should have done the right and noble thing by all its customers. Even if it proved to be over cautious. Better that than the shambles which has unfolded. Again, sympathy with RTC who themselves have been badly let down.