If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain V - 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

In the Great Britain IV thread, DUKE71000 posted the proposed outline for The Great Britain V:

It's a facinating plan, raises a number of interesting questions about "how would they do that", and of course, is likely to change a little or a lot before it actually runs. It fills in two significant gaps left by previous tours: the West Highland line and the Settle-Carlisle. That still leaves a choice of routes in Wales, Southern England and East Anglia to explore in future GB tours, not to mention various Midland and GW routes.

The Edinburgh - Skye - Glasgow section is likely to be the highlight of the trip and the most "interesting" operationally. My guess is that this section will need to be split over 3 days (days 2 - 4), like this:

Day 2 Edin-Inv / Edin-FW
    Day 3 Inv-KoL-Inv / FW-Mal-Fw
    Day 4 Inv-Glasgow / FW-Glasgow

I think I've also seen a suggestion that the loco used on the Kyle line will be chimney-first out of the Kyle, for a change.

The suggestion of the final day being Bristol - Gloucester - London is interesting, too. I guess that means a reversal at Gloucester and thence over Sapperton.

All speculation and supposition at this stage, of course, but (as some of you already know) I enjoy this kind of "thought experiment"!

2. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Re: The Great Britain V - 2012?

Is there any chance that us photters living down in the south east might actually get a GB V tour coming down this way next year?

3. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I think RTC run these trains to attract the paying participants and not for the benefit of Linesiders.

4. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Phew, it's lucky TBF is away. Or maybe he's not, maybe he's now poring over mileage and gradient charts, and road maps, and will be along shortly to tell us why it can't be done...... :bored:

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

That's the best laugh I've had all day.

6. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Get yourself some decent hills and it might be worth coming down there. Anyway, you've got 34067 and 70013 around Kent at the start and end of The Cathedrals Explorer in a couple of weeks.

7. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    No I do not currently volunteer

As much as I would love to see that I guess it would be a nightmare any tour along the south coast with reversals needed at Brighton and Eastbourne plus a path along the single line section to Ashford, though the Sussex Belle tours seem to use that stretch now.

8. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader

Yes that's true unfortunately. My theory would be steam hauled from Victoria down to Eastbourne, then the tail-end diesel could haul it from Eastbourne to say Hastings then steam hauled from Hastings through Robertsbridge back to London. I'm sure that could work for a potential GB V.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'd settle for more steam around scotland, apart from the West Highland, it's a bit pot luck.

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I imagine that the choice of route will be governed by two factors: what will attract customers to sign up for a 9-day tour and what can practically be achieved at a price the passengers will pay. The promoter will be looking for routes that are not normally viable as day tours, but are when you don't have to worry about distance from catchment area. This could explain why the GB tours have spent relatively longer in Scotland than the south of England. I'm slightly surprised that one hasn't been to Aberystwyth or Carmarthen yet, but maybe they're saving that for GBVI?

11. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator

I too would like a section in Sussex but as David H and Alts1985 say there would be potential problems with route paths/availability etc. Though I can't complain as RTC makes me happy with its Haywards Heath/Three Bridges to Bath and Bristol trips. :)

We should have a good selection of loco's 2 Bulleids with 34046 and 34067 (or if we're lucky 35028), 2 Royal Scots with 6100 and 46115, 2/3 A4's, Black 5's plus 6023, 5029 or any of the Tyseley locos.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Agreed about the Wales comment. Day trips from the Midlands are easier than from the south. Barmouth, Aberystwyth, Fishguard etc. are all destinations that are worth visiting. Perhaps GBV might give Penzance a miss for once and turn westwards at Maindee.

13. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

I think the GWS are still saying 6023 will return to the mainline in Autumn 2012, if so then it won't be on GB5

14. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

How many foreigners does the GB actually attract - from what I've heard the majority of people who were on this year's train were from America and the continent. Can anyone on the train confirm this and how do they hear about it?

15. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

It was no way near the majority but there were a sizable contingent from abroad. There were a small number of Americans and a large group from Germany but there were certainly more of us 'British' on the train.

16. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

This is an excellent idea and operationally not unlike how the Caledonian Sleeper operates now. Would so love to do one of these but alas it is a little out of my price range. One day!

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I agree. I have been on a number of multi day tours( 2-5 days) so I could travel on lines including the West Highland line, and to Kyle.The outline details of GB V appeals and if travels along the Central Wales Line rather than the West Marches I would seriously consider it.Please can it be before Steel Steam and Stars 3- 21st -29th April. Hopefully it will be Nunney Castle on the final leg? -( 80th Anviversery of Tregenna Castle's record run on " The Cheltenham Flyer " next year).Rather than go to Penzance what about Kingswear? so we can have steam both ways with ideally Nunney Castle on its own.

18. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Proposal for GB VI

1. St Pancras - Hope Valley - Buxton - Manchester.
    2. Manchester - S & C , Beattock - Perth.
    3. Perth - Aviemore and return.
    4. Perth- Dundee - Tay Bridge - Forth Bridge - Newcastle - Tyne Valley - Shap - Carnforth/Lancaster
    5. Carnforth/Lancaster - Ravenglass - Carnforth - Chester - Shrewsbury
    6. Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth and Return.
    7. Shrewsbury- Central Wales Line - Bristol
    8. Bristol - Kingswear and return.
    9. Bristol - Castle Carey - Weymouth - Waterloo.

19. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator

Oh well more time to savour the prospect I suppose though I did see Steam Railway say that it may under go mainline testing this winter not sure if this is true. But still quite a selection of locos to choose from.

Oh and silly my I forgot the two Brits 70000 and 70013 would be available as well.

So thats

6100 (hopefully be back soon)
    Maybe even 4472.

Any more anyone would like to suggest as thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

20. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer