If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain IX

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Pure speculation on my part, but if gauging is the problem, it's looks as though its between Plymouth and Par, particularly when this has been a common route for steam over the past few years. However, if St. Blazey turntable is now considered too risky under the new regime, then that might also explain it.

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I don't think he was having a go. If you re-read it, he's actually agreeing with you.

3. Well I'm now just going with the flow on this one. B&B cancelled in Mullion and rebooked in Plymouth. Bloody shame but I suspect your comments about gauging in Cornwall are correct Bulleid.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If that's the reason, that could throw a spanner in the works for her advertised appearances on the Royal Duchy.

5. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

I think you might have missed the ;) in that post? I hope that you will continue to post on here!

MellishR likes this.
  6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Actually. When I read that, despite the fact that the comment didn't thank you for the info, it was actually complimenting you on providing a totally sensible reason why there might be a tweak to the plan for Cornwall.

Sadly our keyboard warriors don't always do 'subtle' and sometimes innocent (polite) comments are misunderstood. It's the fault of the medium not the person!

Anyway on a more positive note, at least it will be a less arduous turn for the loco crews and support crews.

7. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

"If pathing a 60mph train between Acton and Exeter is problematic, it would probably be possible, even desirable, for 46100 to run single-headed to Exeter and attach the Black 5 as pilot there. The 5 could stable at Bristol overnight if necessary - this has been done before".

I would have thought double headed with a 60 mph max could match what the Scot could do on its own with a 75 mph max. Quicker accelerations and up the banks. 60 mph up the banks double headed rather than say 50 mph single headed saves as much time as a 75 mph dash downhill compared with being restrained to 60. (Time for quarter mile @ 50 mph - 18 sec, @ 60 mph - 15 sec and @ 75 mph - 12 sec).

That said, from a loco performance point of view I prefer single headed though I like double headed black fives and the RTC's top and tailed steam with the NE moguls to places like North Blyth and Whitby.

Would like to do a GB at some point - time, money and reassurances re lack of shoveage permitting. Hope it goes well for everyone.

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I think that's always the way with GBs, and especially this year. Although it's disappointing not to get steam all the way from Penzance to Wick, which is what @meltonnorth and his chums really wanted to achieve, it's still worth riding on or going out to see. Actually, I see this as a positive development - at least we now know that 46100 is part of the plan and NR are checking the routes for gauge.

houghtonga likes this.
  9. D1059

D1059 Member

I hope, I really hope that 46100 runs on Day 1 - been wanting to see a Scot down south for years and on the Berks and Hants as well !!
    However, I won't actually believe it until it passes me somewhere near Crofton. Been too many last minute gauging debacles in recent years on the former WR. Wasted holiday last year on 2 tours by the Duchess that got nobbled within days of running due to NR's inability to know the limitations of their own infrastructure

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Maureen, as the above state, I was totally agreeing with your post in the fact you gave a valid reason to the change. Also as seen in the second quote, please note the winking smiley!

11. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

We using psychics on here now then - possible explains the quality of much of the information posted? ;).... I can see a green engine......

western nobleman likes this.
  12. maureen

maureen Member

Shoddy you are back in my good books

13. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

So does anyone now think there is a possibility for Galatea to be a part of this?

14. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Hi Mike, GB9 passengers (like me) will be receiving their packs from RTC in the next few days, if not today. If it gives any changes I am sure someone will post it.

Gareth

15. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Depends on gauging Mike I suppose as 45699 is having to go tender first to Sellafield for the Spirit of the Lakes tour today instead of starting at Carlisle due to gauging issues I assume .

Waterbuck likes this.
  16. 9 days away from the start and still no times?

17. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

See post #114.

EveningStar92220 likes this.

18. Thanks. Just impatient to plan!

19. maureen

maureen Member

I have a very special request to ask if anyone has any spare or unwanted badges for the 1 st and 2nd years of the GB, the request is for my friend driver Ray Churchill, he has all the others except those two and he would dearly love to add the missing two to his collection. This will be his last GB and very sadly he is retiring in May, if anyone can help please pm me. thanks

20. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    A friend who's traveling on GB has informed me that there's still been no tickets in the post today,leaving it a bit late now for those coming from overseas,surely.