If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain IX

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's even easier than that Henry, it's called Photoshop if you have the time, I havent

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think you can be fairly sure that RTC, WCRC and various loco owners have already been involved in discussions.

3. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Where do you get that ridiculous idea from?

4. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I disagree. Most passengers will be on this trip to experience as much steam haulage as possible. Few would complain at one steam loco being replaced by another after a short-notice failure, but they won't be too pleased by DL assistance, and Thursday will be a major disappointment.

From my selfish video-shooting point-of-view, DL assistance for 46100 need not be a complete disaster. It depends how much of a show the footplate crew are able to put on. Hemerdon, for example, may be fine, especially filmed head-on from the bridge or beside the fence.
    Don't give up hope just yet. The plan passed on via @maureen may be the first-cut to keep the show on the road. There may yet be time to organise something better. Besides, it's only a few hours since 44871 was left at Stafford. Have IR's team been able to asses the problem yet? If they're limping back to Crewe...

huochemi likes this.
  5. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Well said John, it does sound like going thro the motions syndrome

6. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

Tyseley's Hall and Castle (4965 and 5043) were not for one millisecond mentioned either, no disrespect to Royal Scot but I think enthusiasts and people who have booked the trip would've preferred to see the Hall and Castle together. Obviously a change in the diagram would have to be made due to the Hall's gauging issues in Cornwall, but Tyseley engines are always reliable and they have the perfect crew for the South West. Also, Vintage Trains are not running any trips until further notice so that should have been the perfect opportunity for RTC to use then in case the two Bulleids (34046 and 34067) which were originally rostered for the first two days couldn't make it weeks ago. Thoughts go back to when RTC used the Earl for the last day of The Great Britain V from Bristol to Paddington via Sapperton back in 2012. :mad:

mike1522 and western nobleman like this.
  7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Did I say I was "worried'? Is there any anger annoyance or other indication to say it was an issue? Have you considered that maybe it was a warning to others for the future? I didn't know, I assumed others didn't. Its it at all possible to just pass a causal comment without someone making a meal out of it?

8. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Having travelled on some of the previous ones I totally disagree with that statement, it's the locos being used that are part of the attraction. Anyone would think the Great Britains are run just for photographers the way linesiders are going on.:mad:

As for it being a joke, I think Nigel Dobbing should be applauded for trying to organise such a tour, it's not his fault that things go wrong at the last minute.

Dave B

60017, Sheff, steamvideosnet and 10 others like this.
  9. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I had a quick look over on the other Forum (Ian Riley's) to see if there is any news.
    Lets just say 45407 won't be going anywhere in a hurry as she is currently in bits and missing some of her wheels. They are hoping to get her up and running soon. But they are also looking after 60103.
    Riley's are certainly under pressure now that 44871 has failed. But they do work miracles at Riley's!

Feel sorry for those booked on this. What a shame 46100 has the purple vibrator right behind the tender. Going by her performances so far she hardly needs it.
    But at least there is still steam on the GB and it's nowhere near as bad as last years............... yet.

10. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Absolutely, which is why I chose that option, and its stood me in good stead in the past and this time. At the end of the day its no much more (or often cheaper) than a BnB

11. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Well, having been on an earlier GB, and talked to the organisers about some of the organisational challenges, which I find rather mind boggling, I would say that in my opinion you are completely and utterly wrong.

Somehow the phrase "worst kind of armchair expert speculation" also drifts across my mind.

12. mrKnowwun

Retired
    As did I, I had a 600 mile marathon planned. I guess you are pretty new at the chasing game, otherwise you would be a lot more sanguine about it not going quite to plan. It happens, you mitigate, you accept. In short you get over it.

Johnb and Alberta 45562 like this.
  13. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    Well just to confirm the start to GB9 that I'm sure none of us wanted to see. 47832 hauls the failed 44871 back from Stafford to Crewe at about 18:15 this evening.
    I think all of us should wish IR and his team the best of luck in fixing what's wrong. I'm sure we'll all be told soon enough.

DSC_5312 44871 failure Mill Meece 250416.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  14. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Plenty of people on GB8 were well miffed by the lack of steam and many baled out very early in the tour so I reckon there will be plenty of disappointed folk this time round too.

15. Steamage

Not a very practical suggestion, I fear. Given that TYS have decided not to run any more tours until the summer, their locos are likely to be laid up without 6-monthly ML certificates, and possibly even in pieces receiving maintenance as and when contract work allows. Besides, the Hall can't go into Cornwall, which does require double-heading with GB's normal11-coach load.

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It's not armchair speculation, that's saying use Tyesley locos when I know that's not possible. This trip attracts people from all over the world and with the cost and commitment involved they at least deserve some sort of back up plan with earmarked reserve locomotives, they are there, perhaps not many but with a bit of will it could be done. My sympathy is also with the organisers, given what happened last year full marks for having a go this year.

17. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    I am a passenger on GB9, but I have also had 24 years of experience with preserved locos and know these things happens. My thoughts are with IR and his team at the moment.

I am still comfortable that I have the prospect of enjoying one of the finest locomotives to escape the cutting touch over the next few days.

Gareth

18. Steamage

RTT says 44871 has reached Crewe. Let's see what Riley & Sons can do once they've had a good look at her.

19. mrKnowwun

Retired
    is it me, or does that POB look like its been living under a tree full of birds with the trotts??

20. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I note from another place that the bogie has had some attention in the past week, but the problem could be just about anything. In any case, everyone booked on the tour from the start has my sympathies; let's hope the Scottish leg can be salvaged.