If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The First Steam Engine

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Fireline, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I was only joking with you about the noise! It did work until the end of 1985 and as you said did work to hayles abbey. Dont need to see the video (I believe you!!!) but if you could it would be nice to see if you could upload it somewhere!!! I was just saying that it didn't arrive until 1983. It did launch services but it wasn't the first engine to arrive rather the first working engine.

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You are absolutely right, the Hunslet "King George" being the 1st loco to arrive that is still with us at Toddington. It has been on loan to other railways but I can't remember which ones! 2409 was also the 1st steam loco to travel from Toddington to Cheltenham Race Course after track was relaid. The 1st ex-BR loco to arrive at Toddington which is still there (well actually only the tender is there at the moment) is 2807. It followed 7821 and 7828, both of which departed in 1987 I believe. 7828 (Odney Manor) was restored and steamed at Toddington before being transferred away with the remainder of the owning group's stock. To say that I'm looking forward to seeing 2807 in steam this year would be the understatement of the decade.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

East Lancs still has NWGB No 1, wasnt this their first steam locomotive ?

I know it was also first used on Brake Van Rides in the yard , First ELR engine to Summerseat 1986, Ramsbottom 1986 and Rawtenstall 1989 !, I dont know what was first to Heywood though.

4. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Swanage's I think was the Barclay tank 'Richard Trevithick' but I have no idea where that went, anyone know? It was I think at the Swindon & Cicklade Railway a little while ago...

Our first engine of all, Fowler Diesel 'May' is still around and thanks to its place in SR history, she due to be cosmicticly restored at some point.

5. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    First operational yes, first steam loco on site overall was 80078. As I understand it 'Thick Dick' is still at the S&C.

6. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Ah but Glastonrail I'll think you'll find if you delve deep into the archives the very first loco to arrive on the SDR was in fact 4555 which is now at Paignton at teh front of the shed still I believe. Along with 4588 which was also one of the early few.

You do your research and look at a list of locos the line had in 1971 it will read something along the lines of 1369, 1420, 1450, 1638?, 4555, 4588, 6412, 6430, 6435 & 7827.
    Out of this list we then still have with us 1369, 1420, and 6412 not bad some 40 years on!!!

Although if you then change this to 1991 when the South Devon Railway began you have a completely different story again!!