If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cotswold Venturer - June 13th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by aperture, May 29, 2015.

1. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

You miss the point Fred. The video is already widely circulated.

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    YOU miss the point; just because everyone runs about naked during the winter why should you ?

RalphW likes this.
  3. 83B

83B Member

I am sure Hatherton accepts and respects protocols and that you quite right apply caution where appropriate. Unfortunately where you state NP is "not just any discussion forum" the reality is that it is.

I am a member of a major railway forum embracing modern and heritage traction. Issues such as fatalities, rude guards, aggressive revenue inspectors, broken down trains, signalling problems etc are discussed and contributions from drivers are amazingly valuable and relevant. The forum also covers mainline steam and there has been much written regarding West Coast and often not very complimentary.

This forum had, and still has, the video footage from Saturday and this is where I saw it.

As with any bad news national, international, or just railways, some things have to be said and views aired no matter how unpalatable. As long as comments are made within the rule of law, then we should encourage such contributions. Yes victims may get upset but in a democracy, we should be able to vent our views and feelings, surely?

western nobleman and staffordian like this.
  4. 83B

83B Member

I think that is the point Hatherton was making. It is in the public domain and to be frank, it seems to incriminate nobody!!

western nobleman likes this.
  5. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    OK here is the video seems quite eventful to me

6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

The disregard to basic railway safety in that video is jaw dropping... I am disgusted!

(incidentally is possibly as useful to an understanding of what happened on Saturday as the offending article itself!)

henrywinskill likes this.
  7. forty

forty Member

Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story!!! Unbelievable conclusions are being drawn on here re this incident. Also the belief/suggestion that this forum seems to carry any form of importance over any other forum kinda says it all really.

GWR4707 and staffordian like this.
  8. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Your analogy rests on an implicit false syllogism. Pointless swapping further epigrams.

9. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    I'm just picturing all NP members running around naked in the winter. Ni IM NOT :Resistanceisfutile:LOL

10. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    I think that I will delete THAT particular video from my memory cells!!!

Cheers

Alan

henrywinskill likes this.
  11. D1059

D1059 Member

Where's Mazeppa? and KentYeti like this.
  12. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Am not particularly comfortable with peoples medical issues being openly discussed online.

13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

What! Posting a photo of a train on this thread?

What on earth has got into you.

;)

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  14. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Remember the good old days :Arewealone: when steam was king as the train came into the station there would have been people waiting to catch the train on the platform and as soon as the train stops the people getting of the train disembarked and most cases to the platform exit as fast as they could and the people then embarked and so when the train was ready to go the platform would have been more or less empty which would have made the guard/driver job more easy. These days with steam trains most people who have disembarked will stay on the platform and will make it harder to see what is happening.

15. 83B

83B Member

How times have changed. Back in August 1964 my brother and I went north with Scotland Railrover tickets. And a brilliant 14 days followed with steam galore. On view were the A4's on class 1 duty and it was while at Perth, we got off the train and walked up to the A4 taking water. The firemen was on the tender feeding the hose into the hole and the driver at the water column. Passengers were boarding and disembarking from the train heading for Glasgow. And then shock and horror, with no one on the footplate, the A4 started creeping forward and then PANIC! The driver jumped onto the footplate to stop the locomotive and water from the water crane was flying all over the place as the hose came out of the hole. I believe the train stopped within a few yards but from further down the platform one could here yelling from boarding passengers. Those who know the mechanics of steam locomotion will know how this could possibly have happened but for us as teenagers, it was amazing to see.

Oddly enough, my brother and I were only talking about this the other day, 51 years since it happened at it is still crystal clear in our memories.

Not that this happened with Mayflower of couse on Saturday, but had it happened in 1064 rather than 2015 the train would have continued on its merry way. If 2015 rules applied then in 1964 the crew would have been in serious trouble and relieved there and then in Perth station. In 1964, things quickly returned to normal, passengers including me and my brother boarded and the train left for Glasgow.

16. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Plenty of this on here !

Attached Files:

17. MTU16V4000R41

MTU16V4000R41 New Member

Problem is that steam runs in the world of today and whether we like it or not that is the environment we have. Therefore the rules and procedures governing its operation have to suit the current environment.

18. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

20. 83B

83B Member

[​IMG]