If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cotswold Venturer - June 13th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by aperture, May 29, 2015.

1. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Were these events you mention generally reported or known about Steve? Yesterdays event at Reading seems to be getting well reported.

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I'm currently on my way home from one on our major heritage railways. At one point during the day, the train I was on rolled forward a couple of feet during a station stop. The station master (who, presumably, was well versed in the foibles of steam locos) did not feel the need to ask the driver why this happened, the train simply carried on as if nothing had happened and the same driver was still in charge of the train when I left some hours later. No panic, no inquiries, no trial by internet.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It still happens but with modern trains the doors will be shut before any move is made.

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Obviously, that railway paints its coaches in froth approved colours.....

5. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With modern trains you can't release the brakes or take power unless all the doors are shut

6. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Probably not. As long as there are no consequences, they are just treated as 'one of those things'. Did yesterday's incident get treated differently because it was West Coast operated train and/or a steam special? I don't know the answer to that. I just hope that things can be kept in proportion and that any consequences reflect what I see as as being pretty much a fairly minor incident. On another forum which I happened to have a read through, there are already a couples of 'Jonah's' predicting the end of West Coast as a result of this incident, which I find quite alarming.

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It's being blown up because of incidents with WCRC previously, looked at in insolation, similar incidents are not that unusual, and misunderstanding between driver/guard/dispatcher are more common still, least the correct procedure was followed in that the brake was immediately dumped on sighting the open door before any real distance was covered.

8. staffordian

staffordian Well-Known Member

Retired
    I've not seen that reported anywhere else. Just wondering if it's come from an eye witness, or might it just be speculation?

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Wasn't it said elsewhere passengers were still alighting ? bit difficult to do that with a shut door...

10. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Not ever wishing to fuel the fire of doom, but there was a distinct air of doom around the train when the diesel arrived to rescue the train. I tactfully tried to get some information but was blanked by all. The most serious element yet again, is the suspension of the driver. Unlike a SPAD when the rules are clear, what is unclear here is why he was relieved of his duties when it seems there was a "misunderstanding" on the departure procedures of the train. Yet again, there is clearly more that meets the eye.

When I video'd the departure of the Class 7 and train I had an awful empty feeling that too many nails are being hammered into the WRC coffin just now.

11. hatherton hall

Oh dear. It is clear form what you are saying that there is footage which is controversial and may explain why the drivers was asked to leave the train. To be honest withholding footage of what happened is difficult to understand . Just look a the footage from around the world of much more serious data. And yet, here on Nat Pres we are not prepared to share images which will be of interest of the many .

12. staffordian

Retired
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I took your post to imply that the stop was for no other reason than someone had spotted an open door.

Various things have been said elsewhere, including that all passengers had already alighted and the departure was a little overdue...

Can't argue with that :)

13. hatherton hall

sam w likes this.
  14. staffordian

Retired
    Having seen the footage (at least I assume it's the same as that referred to on here) I must say that on the face of it, there is nothing damning or controversial about it. The cause of the stop isn't visible, just a slight movement followed by braking, following which a FGW supervisor then Station Manager appear at the cab. Some of the conversation is audible, but again nothing incriminating as far as I can tell, but maybe others can hear it better than me :)

If Joe Public watched the clip, they would not for a moment think anything untoward had occurred.

I'm sure RAIB (assuming involvement) would want to see it, but as others have said either here or elsewhere, there will surely by NR CCTV showing more of the overall scene.

15. hatherton hall

I know that the clip that is referred to is on another rail forum and I have just seen it. No one is covering it up there so why here? It shows the green aspect and feather for the up relief line to Paddington followed by images of a platform inspector on the footplate speaking with the driver. Crikey. Hardly X-rated material!!!

Steve Sienkiewicz likes this.
  16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Everybody just calm down; from reading this and receiving messages from passengers on the train, this doesn't seem to be in quite the same league as the March 7 incident. Everyone's rightly twitchy because of that particular event, but if there was indeed a 'premature departure', then its best to let nature take its course. Precautionary measures were probably necessary to show compliance with the 'new' regime, and it seems this is precisely what's happened.

47406 likes this.
  17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

You just don't get it do you? You support steam but want open disclosure on things that no one on here can influence and can only upset people close to those directly affected. This is NP. It is not just any discussion forum.

bakabung and RalphW like this.
  18. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Not your usually measured and considered comment Al.

The video is readily accessible and many are discussing the incident both on-line and off. Suppression of the video on NP serves no purpose.

western nobleman likes this.
  19. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    About all that can really be heard on the video clip is the FGW lady asking the driver why he drew forward. It wasn't even one revolution of a wheel. The road was set and the signal green. Been on many service trains that have had false starts at stations and none were ever 'stopped'. As Big Al said, speculating why does no good as no-one knows what happened. The cameraman was at the London end of the platform so couldn't see the RA signs.

20. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I am intrigued why NP is not just 'any discussion forum' does it hold some manner of official status?

FWIW if there is no wish to link the infamous video on here that's not an issue, (its not that exciting and shows nothing of note).