If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cornish Riviera, 26 & 28 June 2010

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Jervis, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Dear MapleChris,

I can accept that the information you gave in good faith came from railway Sources and, in this instance, is probably correct.

However I can remember a couple examples of fires being attributed to steam excursions in Railway logs on days when the steamex that was alleged to be responsible had either been cancelled before the day or was running very late and had not yet passed the point where the fire started!

2. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Whilst England were being despatched from the world cup a German Maybach engine was leading the King up Whiteball . Irony ??

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

A German engine in that box?

Suddenly I'm starting to like boxes! (wink).

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Ah yes. I remember when the Oranje Express was returned to steam haulage between Kimberley and De Aar and return in South Africa.. On some days it was virtually the only steam hauled train. On one such day a farmer on the adjoining scrub land made a claim for a large lineside fire which he claimed started not long after the Express had passed.

Only on that day the 25NC 4-8-4 had failed at De Aar and the train was hauled by two boxes!

I'm not saying any such skulduggery would happen in the UK of course. But all reports of lineside fires do need to be fully investigated before conclusions are drawn.

PS. Anyone who never saw a 25NC 4-8-4 , 3 ft 6 inch gauge loco going flat out up the grades between Kimberley to De Aar with a 19 - 20 coach, 800 ton plus passenger train has really missed out. They ran into the mid 60s mph, and I think, sometimes, past the 70 mph mark. The noise was something astonishing.

6. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

There was once a very similar situation with a North Wales coast Express!

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Maybe German in origin but made under licence by Bristol-Siddeley in the UK ...

8. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Actually TWO engines in that "box" if I remember correctly

9. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    I know a lot of people have commented on this photo already but I like it so much I thought I will too! Everything's come together so well and it really is a fantastic picture. The light, exhaust, and the fact that the only two visible coaches are the choc/cream support vehicles. The 'working' finish of 6024 has a lovely '60s look to it as well. Top work!

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It was great trip, thanks to Steam Dreams, West Coast and the Support crews. I will post pictures later in the week.

11. IKB

IKB Member

Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

12. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Sometimes, drivers use the two tones to amusing effect! Can be quite fun!! One question I have - can they be sounded together? never heard it......

...and that picture! Superb. You just get 1950s summer Saturday ooozing from it. Very well done. It should be July or August on the 2011 Steam World calendar for sure!! :clap2::clap2:

13. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Yes, 2 separate chains.

14. leander

leander Member

Thank's to every one involved in running a superb tour,i had a very enjoyable three day's

15. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

A couple of photo's from the trip can be found at http://paul-simpson.fotopic.net/c1866218.html

Showing Ray Churchill and Graeme Bunker at Plymouth, and the support crews at Paddington.

I will post some more photo's later in the week.

16. D1059

D1059 Member

Here are a couple of shots of 5029 and 6024 at Foxhall Junction, Didcot (June 2010 collection)

http://D1059.fotopic.net/

Check out the HST pic showing the lighting I had at 19:15, 5 mins before the pair were due and what was available when they finally turned up at 19:45 :(

Cheers to all involved running this tour and handling all the challenges it presented over the 2-3 days

STEVE

17. Macko

Macko Member

Can i just say a humble thanks for the very kind comments people have left about my picture. I was very chuffed with the result, I feel like the angler who managed to land the "king of the pond" fish, but I wasn't expecting such nice reactions from others.
    Of course the picture wouldn't be possible without the railtour organisers and the magnificent copper capped engines and their support crews, and may I pass on my thanks to them. If anybody off the train or support crews wants a hi-res copy, just pm me. I've sent a copy into the 6024 society to use as they wish.

18. D1059

D1059 Member

Well done Macko - definitely calendar material

STEVE

19. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Excellent shot, thanks for sharing it.

You should print it, frame it and hang it high! :thumb:

20. cg

cg Well-Known Member

It is a good choice of location, String em up its the only answer they understand... get it framed and hang it on a wall. Macko, thanks for sharing the image.