If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Border Raider with 60163 - 16/09/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LMarsh1987, Aug 21, 2017.

1. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Don't think we're going to risk the trains. We'll have to leave so early we might as well drive to TBP.

2. tromba

tromba New Member

I have it on high authority that this was not an error by NetRail and have every confidence the miscommunication that caused it will soon be rectified.

A possible return path was jointly identified, then validated by NetRail in very short order. The revised route was quickly gauged by York & Birmingham teams - a massive thank you is owed to them also.

Lastly I hope everyone on the trains has a terrific day out - see you on the train. Now I wonder which end the tea is at?

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Indeed. Despite having said what I said earlier, I offer my thanks to the NR team for some quick thinking and pulling out all the stops to resolve the issue, which shows that things really can work when all parties pull together.

4. NathanP

NathanP Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have never looked forward to a trip as much as this one. It was going to be an epic day to begin with but with this new return route I think this will be known as one of the finest ever, remembered with fondness for many years to come. My congratulations to A1SLT, UKRT, NR and whoever else was responsible for pulling this one out of the hat!

mike1522 likes this.
  5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well that's nice to know as there was a part of me that did wonder how on earth it got to be so late before someone in the system said "Excuse me, but how could you hope to run from Hellifield to Blackburn on September 16th when the line is closed and has been proposed as such for some time!" That said, it seems that success can sometimes be snatched from the jaws of defeat almost as many times as it works the other way. It's just that when it goes wrong there is far more fuss made without much knowledge or understanding of why.

So can I add my "Thanks and well done" to those responsible for sorting this one out. It has to be said though that this makes for quite an arduous day for crews (DB and support) although to start and end the trip just a mile or so from base has proved, with hindsight, to be a master stroke. Here's hoping that all the logistics of coal and water can be tweaked so everything runs smoothly and my best wishes go to the crews who have quite a lot on their hands shovel on this one.

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Certainly seems to have turned into a great looking tour. Must I admit I had thoughts about via Leeds but mentally it all seemed to take too long. Hope it all goes to plan for those who will be on it.

7. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Wow !

8. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Around 452 miles based upon RailMiles, which is about 31 miles more than the original plan. Will be interesting to see what happens around Mirfield, as this is normally a pinch point on RTC trips.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The timings we now have from UKRT confirm that we go from Brum to Wolverhampton direct but on the return, I think that the times suggest we may be going via Bescot and down to Soho Junction and BNS before looping back up to Tame Bridge. So you may have some additional miles not yet accounted for! Not certain how everyone will feel about passing Tame Bridge en route to Brum to return to it about an hour later. Who knows. on the day we may be given the direct route into BNS.

10. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

If anyone has a spare ticket please let me know!
    Sean

11. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The gift that keeps on giving. Whilst I like to do routes in both directions by steam where possible, Perry Barr North to Soho is indeed new track for me. So there's a fair chunk of the rarer side of Birmingham done in one day. This trip was a rather wise investment...

13. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Its been a while since 'anything' steam was allowed through Diggle Tunnel I believe

14. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Ok I'll take that one - I've never been on the line from Hellifield to Clitheroe so I was sort of looking forward to it! What has been produced instead is quite something though so I'm more than happy - so long as it does actually run as scheduled!

I need to look in more detail at the full timings, but I think I am going to risk getting to and from Brum by train. I'll miss about 17 miles of steam but I can at least have a drink or two.

Anyone care to interpret the multitude of movements that have appeared on RTT at Carlisle and appear to relate to the tour? Including some that could in theory be a diesel?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

15. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    If a picture in the Stalybridge Buffet is anything to go by, it was 2010 that the last steam went through Standedge. I don't recall anything after 2011, anyway. There was a false start with RTC last year, but it did an interesting route to the Hope Valley instead.

Michael Anderson likes this.
  16. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Certainly were some Scarborough Flyers in Summer 2013, although diesel involved in the consist of all I think. 2014 there were intended to be some, but all cancelled.

17. NathanP

NathanP Member

So we do indeed pass through Tame Bridge Parkway on the way to BHM, as a previous poster suggested, about 50 minutes before we arrive back there at the end of the tour. Loading in the morning might be interesting, as I don't think the whole train will fit on the platform, probably be a case of getting on the nearest coach and walking through.

18. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

I have shots of the Duchess with a 37 tucked behind and number Nine with a 47 on the back in 2013

19. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Railway Touring Company's July-September programme of Scarborough Flyers ran via Diggle in both 2010 and 2011 according to uksteam's archive - the last recorded being 9th September 2011 with 46201. On and from the first scheduled Flyer in 2012 - 20th July - uksteam shows a late amendment of itinerary from "via Huddersfield" to "via Hebden Bridge", so yes, you are right, it is likely that September 2011 is the point at which steam disappeared from the Diggle route.

I'm sure the decent thing to do would be to make the pilgrimage to Stalybridge Buffet just to update them!! ;)

Edit: Yep, I should have taken more time and care over this because I didn't check 2013 when, as pointed out by Waterbuck and Ian Cawthorne, diesel assistance appears to have been the norm

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I remember trying to do Diggle in 2012 with 60009, but the series was rerouted via the then fairly rare Calder Valley route, so was content.

Despite intending to tick Diggle/Standedge off at the earliest opportunity, the summer of 2013 was when I was establishing myself in Yorkshire, so I wasn't in a position to do anything between the Welsh Marches with 34067 and the Kentish Belle Armistice Day Special with 44932. By the time I'd settled, steam had ceased on Diggle and has since been concentrated upon the Hope Valley.

Anyway, ramblings aside, I'm glad I've got the chance to finally address that glaring Pennine gap on my steam map of Britain.