If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"The Black Hat" Photography Website

Discussion in 'Photography' started by The Black Hat, Feb 14, 2011.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all

Welcome to my thread for my website which has just been restarted since the demise of Fotopic. In ways Im thankfull that it has happened as it has spurred me on to create the new website, which is infinately better than the older one. So, it seems sensible to update this forum to the work that I've been doing combining a hobby of railways and photography.

On the website you will find a selection of photographs in named galleries about the various locations and events that I have covered - primarily being across the North East of England, but sometimes elsewhere when Im on a journey 'on Rails' or visiting an area 'on tour' - these are found in galleries linked to years on the home page.

As a part of being a good enthusiast I have a group of 'Freinds of the Black Hat' people that I have got to know or met when out on my travels. I find that railways brings a whole manner of people to the interest, some nice, some polite and sometimes some not so. For all those that have been fair, respectable and freindly - as well as having kept in touch - they go into this gallery, or have links to the site, so that a commonwealth of freindly enthusiasts can be made for which we'd all benefit. You can find pictures of a whole number of people on the site, in the Friends gallery. They are all examples of what we can do together as a hobby, by sharing and enjoying this together.

My photographs are all taken with a digital camera but never then adapted afterwards. They appear as they are on the memory of the camera, as I dont think tinkering on a PC afterwards makes you more of a better photographer, buts thats my own view.

With the new site, ordering and buying photographs is a lot easier. Simply go to the galleries and select the pictures youd want. The prices I think are very reasonable - but then I would say that....

Feel free to browse the site, and leave comments for photographs that you like or can suggest improvements.

My thanks for your time in reading this - I hope you like the site at present and any updates to follow....

The site can be found at: www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk

Enjoy!

2. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all,

Time for an update regards the site. It has been updated with pictures of Dominion of New Zealand at Kings Cross, and the collections I have for Darlington over the last few years.

Pictures are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p497794137

But a report for the A4 at London is here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p497794137

Such a shame bout Health and Safety these days. In years before I dare say some nice railwayman would have walked me down to trackside to get a photograph of the resplendent A4, 60019 now wearing the number of its now deceased cousin, 4492 Dominion of New Zealand. However, we all have cameras now, and the vantage points of Kings Cross have changed, so much so that the rear 3/4 view was all that could be seen as the train filled the entire platform.

Still, the spectale of a steam engine at the Cross is no common feature any more, and the fact that it was an East Coast pedigree A4 is something more special. Add the return of the valances to the side, and this was indeed a new chapter for preservation as it started a new dimension of recreating the past on the mainline proper and it broke the mold of British Railways Brunswick which has been more than prevailent lately.

A very good moring for a captial day in London....

Enjoy

3. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    110 pictures of a Deltic on freight. A few years ago, people would have laughed
    you of a room had you proposed such a thing. The idea of a Deltic being hired to
    a company is one thing for passenger - freight is another. Those at BR in their
    heyday would have thought that the throughbread locomotives were above it all,
    their majesty for express working only. However, preservation and the modern
    open market for locomotives is different, and views, ideas and a business case
    have changed with times. GBRf took the opportunity to use the Deltic, and it has
    worked very well on the flow hauling Alcan wagons.

Pictures here show the locomotive at various points on the line, passing its
    GBRf workmates, being the class 66 on the duties across the network. Will it
    happen again? A Deltic on freight, who knows, but someone came from Canada to
    see this one - I guess that says it all....

Nice to meet some new people and see some familiar ones in Blyth of all places!

Pictures at http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p890053025

4. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Pictures have been uploaded to the website tonight after work showing 66842 returning freight traffic to the Bishop Auckland line and onwards up Weardale to Wolsingham. Not since 1993 when cement traffic was withdrawn has freight been through and this marked a well come return.

Pictures can be seen here, http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p1042516225 with another gallery on the home page in the recent section, showing pictures of the class 47 route learning that was needed prior to this trial.

The caption for the gallery is here:

A HISTORIC GALLERY:
    Freight returned to Weardale, the first time since early 1993 with 66842 having the role of making a small amount of history by being the first freight engine to haul a train back onto the Bishop Auckland branch and the Weardale Railway. Colas rail have the contract to bring out locally opencast coal from the Weardale Railway depot at Wolsingham, and provided a class 66 with former Freightliner Heavy Haul wagons for the flow. The engine and train ran today as a trial but it marks the first freight train to return, with a regular service to commence when pathing requirements and logistics of the operation are tested and adjusted.
    The train ran from Tees Yard, where the wagons had been deposited, to Wolsingham in the very early hours and was seen at Heighington, Bishop Auckland, Witton Park, Witton-le-Wear and Wolsingham.
    Further updates to this gallery will show other trials as they happen.....

Enjoy

David

aka The Black Hat

5. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Attention of late has stayed with the regular coal flow onto the preserved Weardale Railway. 66841 has replaced its sister 66842 on the Wolsingham coal workings. Today however, it left to go to Teesside rather than the usual workings through Darlington, York and onwards to Scunthorpe which are the norm.

66841 should be on the Wolsingham to Radcliffe working tomorrow.

Pictures of the first few regular services in June are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p463372758

6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Pictures here http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p92754489 this evening of
    the move of Mallard by Olton Hall aka Hogwarts Castle yesterday.

Report is here:

Everyone knows Hogwarts Castle... the engine of Harry Potter fame. The Red
    Castle is well known and brings forward more youngsters who show interest in
    railways. What could be better?

Well... its a Hall for a start.Olton Hall, is actually the true name of Hogwarts
    Castle, rather than its true Western region Castle class cousins. However, like
    some say, Western region engines look very similar, but I like them for those
    small differences personally. Despite my usual defence of all things North
    Eastern and wider Eastern region area, it was a joy to see this Western region
    engine, in its unique guise.

Of course, the true reason for this journey and trip out to chase, was to see A4
    4468 Mallard return to York. Olton Hall was used as the train engine to get the
    locomotive back to 50A. It was great to see Mallard back onto the tracks once
    again in company with the red hall. It was interesting to see which people came
    to see which locomotive.... the day was interesting and enjoyable with everyone
    happy... even if you came out for the diesel tour stock that was also seen!

Also nice to see plenty of 'freinds of the Black Hat' including David Pearson,
    Allan Brooks, Niel Simpson, Terry Newman and Fred Ramshaw. Thanks to them for
    the company and freindly conversations.

Enjoy the gallery!

7. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all

93 Pictures here from the Waverley trip yesterday:
    http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p864602061

Report:

Sunshine, Steam and Scenery, it doesnt get much better than that.... except that
    this time the journey was to be across the Settle to Carlisle railway, with
    fantastic views across areas such as the three peaks, Ribblehead, Mallerstang,
    and others en route.

The engine was none other than Rileys reliable machine 45407 the Lancashire
    Fusilier, which stormed over the route with some fair degree of magesty
    considering the considerable load that the engine was asked to haul over the
    grueling route. Arrival in Carlisle saw the engine leave to be turned and fueled
    while I and friends opted for a similar idea.

Back on the train and the journey retracing our same route south again saw great
    performances from the engine. Its return to the mainline following overhaul in
    100 days is a testamount to I Riley Engineering and there fantastic machine.

The day ended at York, with some final views of the engine, before then heading
    for home after a long and enjoyable day.

Also,

Other pictures from Carlisle have been uploaded to the site featuring trips
    there in recent years at http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/f587502403

8. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    A first visit to the Midland Railway brought quite a surprise to see the various sheds from different organisations that use the site. The Princess Royal locomotive trusts own site was a little way off the main site at Swanwick, but an example of what can be achieved with good organisation. The layout and examples within this and the other sheds could rival any collection of railway and heritage stock and items in the country.

It is highly fortunate that a lot of this comes from the Midland region and the items selected showed a broad history of this organisation on site - as you'd expect. Bringing all of them to one site added to the wealth of knowledge and resources that one would hope make preseration all the more enjoyable through co-operation.

However, one other joy is the collection of heritage diesels that the site has, with many of the well known engines that are in good condition and good operation together. Engines like 31271, 50007, 47401 and D212 shared sidings with other examples and visitors.

All in all, a brilliant collection and a brillinat morning visit. http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p499575801

9. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all,

Following the weekend at Kirkby Stephen East, I have 46 pictures added to the website here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p570292127

The report / review is here:

Rarely can it be said that an Gala or Open weekend is the first. For the Stainmore line preservation society based out of Kikby Stephen East (51H to some, 12D to others) it was just that. The track layout had been changed to allow for some running since my last visit, with engines moved to the side too to allow visiting BR standard 2MT 78019 a chance to at least move off from the restored platform. Also resident was 65033, a case in point for restoration to steam for historical reasons if ever there was one, rather than big engine rules the way on most preserved lines. The little saddle tank that the Stainmore line had restored was given the job of hauling the 2MT and the two borrowed coaches back to the station. With NER Fletcher 2-4-0 No. 9.10 also in the station under the canopy.

The station istelf was looking very good. Some work had been done on the roof and enterance. The line is indeed making a big effort to branch out from its nucleus to start operating and functioning. A lot should be said for the way that the event was conducted, with a shop, beer tent, food, and stalls all at the station or nearby. Everthing was catered for and provided. In many ways it was as good as a very established railway, but one hopes that sooner rather than later, the line uses its own stock and track to become just that.

After this weekend, the likelihood of that happening has risen significantly which is all the better for railway preservation, and more so for the vanquished northern areas of that subject, which are often overlooked for more universal popular routes down south. Should the railway ever need to name a locomotive then it should be called 'Pheonix' a subtle name for a railway that is returning from the past and out of the ashes of one of the most marvelous railways ever built.

Enjoy

David

aka The Black Hat

10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all,

Pictures of the NRM shuttles this weekend are onto the site here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/f773687213

A report is here:

It was a fantastic achivement for a brilliant idea! A shuttle service linking both the NRM York and Locomotion: the NRM at Shildon. This weekend was largely a test case for the busy crowds that would soon follow to see the steam engines on display the following weekend. So all attention was on the shuttles themselves. WCRC did a brilliant job with NRM and locomotive staff from 6201 group. Princess Elizabeth deputised for Oliver Cromwell which saw the LMS Princess visit Shildon on a return to the historic railway town after last visiting on the famous 1975 Cavilcade. Olton Hall also brought a touch of magic, as well as rhythmn with its four cylinders, but sadly was failed on the Sunday. This saw more work entrusted to Prince William, the former Royal class 47, being 47798.

Interestingly, the duty with the Princess and Hall, saw a back to back top and tailed steam working on a train. This is something not normally done on the network, so the sight proved to be somewhat different to the usual steam dragged and top and tailed by a diesel.

The NRM and other parties (Network Rail, 6201, WCRC) should be congratulated for working so hard to bring this idea to completion. I am sure many others will enjoy the sights and sounds of this next weekend and in the years to come.

Enjoy

11. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Evening all,

Pictures and reports here from the activity at Shildon, Locomotion Museum this weekend.

Pictures can be found at: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p339083755 and http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p482655678

Report of the event is here:

Todays the day...

Many times has the phrase had meaning, but for the NRM and its plan to entice visitors with both mainline and preserved steam, today was indeed the day for the Shuttle service itself to bring a whole extra dimension to the NRM experience - something it duly delivered! Olton Hall, desguised as the infamous Hogwarts Castle brought the first shuttle north to Shildon and the area that is well within 51 area shedcode. The Western region engine seemed to give a good performance on a spirited run north by all accounts, and when seen at Heighington it was at speed with gusto.

On the rear was 45305 a geordie built Black 5, now named Allerman A. Draper, which was standing in for the NRM's own Oliver Cromwell. The Black 5 was in fine form, and took the service away, returning later with 37706 from the WCRC stable.

Other engines were seen at the Locomotion Musuem on Display, which can be seen in another gallery. 2011 had a distinct Western region flavour to the visiting engines at Locomotion. Star attraction was the well known and much discussed City of Truro which is reputably the first engine to 'do the ton'. Along side this express locomotion were other western region engines more akin to mundane work. A 56xx from the Furness loco group was visiting along with the NRMs own 28xx 2-8-0 frieght locomotive. Engines that used to ply their trade in Shildon would have respected these for their ability to haul heavy goods and would indeed have matched the pedigree of the North Eastern engines that years ago, occupied the very ground these engines were on display.

Also there were two residents, Sir Berkeley and Furness no. 20, with smaller engines running on demonstration lines.

It was nice to see the magjesty of Western regions engines as I personally like the similar lines and evolution of Western region design.... but I dare not say more less people doubt my faith in NER.... thank goodness the J21 had arrived.... now thats a proper engine, albeit needing some TLC!

Comments and feedback are very much welcome on the site. Nice to chat to Terry Newman and Dave Foxton today....

Enjoy,

David
    aka The Black Hat

12. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all

Lots of pictures uploaded to the website last night, following a ride on the shuttle with 45305, 37706 and 5972.

Pictures from the shuttle are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p501394265
    Pictures from Shildon are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p395551458
    Pictures from York are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p492857133

A full report is here:

37706, sounding more akin to a cross between thunder and Gods own fury proved to be the engine that brought the shuttle up from York first. 45305, stood proudly on the south facing end, and following shunting was ready for the run south to York. The train left at 13:15, with the Black 5 performing well - so well its understandable why this locomotive is known as the Black 5GT... The run through Darlington Bank Top station was of particular note. With the train meandering through the pointwork and lines north of the station, the engine erupted into life once onto platform one, filling the NER built station with volume, its dull drone of a whistle sounding like a cry of havoc for a charging leviathan rather than the more romantic ideal of a sharp whistle and gentle hiss of a steam train. Once through and onto the mainline the Black 5 made the work of the special look easy.

Arrival into York saw the Black 5 amongst its cousins and class mates. Many well known celebrities of the preserved steam mainline age were 'on shed', with WCRCs midland duo of 46115 and 48151 standing proudly with the Princess and NRMs own first Black 5. Also there was a Fairburn, 42085, somewhat defiantly wearing the shedplate of 51A, Darlington, at 50A York - something which for me was emotional and proud to be a strong supporter of North Eastern heritage and rail. KWVR Ivatt 2, 42151 was also there, along with the upturned bathtub of Duchess of Hamilton, though you had to admit that the art deco appearance was impressive to see restored and outdoors.

Back onto the shuttle with Hogwarts Castle adorning the front, 45305 on the rear. The Castle sounded well when running out of York, its two pitch whistle delighting those filming from the lineside and vantage points en route north. Arrival back into Shildon saw the many travelling passengers pleased with their day out and tour of the two events and fast mainline steam run. Back at Shildon there was time for a quick view of Truro, the 56xx 5643 and 28xx goods outside before watching 45305 thunder away back south and the Hall shunt onto Locomotion for inspection.

A brilliant day out with the many behind the scenes seeing happy passengers as the reward for all their hard work. Long may this idea of joint galas and shuttles continue....

----

Feedback and notes to the site are welcome.
    Photographs are also available for purchase following instructions on the website.

Enjoy the site and pictures,

Regards

David
    aka The Black Hat

13. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    TWO UPDATES TO THE SITE TONIGHT:

First is here:

Hello all,

Another update to the site tonight, featuring yesterdays tour on rare branches to the north east.

Pictures can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p399595859

With a report on the event:

To boldy go.... well not quite. The traincrew of the Tees Goblin tour certainly had an eagerness to boldy go where someone has been before, but not recently anyway. Trains on the Seal Sands branch are a rare event. Certainly past the Petroplus plant at Port Clarence. Many who came for the spectacle of the tour remarked that the last one to venture this way was the NELPG tour with the K1 (which can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p376293376 ).
    My knowledge says a test train was down about two years ago - but still, whether it went as far as the coast is uncertain.

The tour was part of a trip to freight only used lines, including the Tyne Dock branch and reinstated south curve and junction. Seal Sands was the icing on the cake however. With the trip going as far as possible... though those local followers, who started the game of leapfrog with the train and attending British transport police; questioned just how far it would go. Light became and issue when the train reached the branch and many shots of the industrial background became almost silouettes given the low autumn sun.

A rare event with some interesting procedures, movements and working done in a sparse area of rail activity in the north.

Enjoy,

David
    aka The Black Hat

14. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    SECOND OF TWO UPDATES TO THE SITE TONIGHT:

Of which the second update is:

Evening all,

After a nice day on the moors, photographs of the trip have been uploaded to the site, with 36 for this gala event.

Pictures can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p121162116

With a report below. Thanks to Terry Newman and Martyn Nevatt amongst others for good company today.

Report of the event:

The Autumn Steam Gala is usually an event worth attending, though for personal choice on the theme last year I gave it a miss. This year, top billing was for A4 Dominion of New Zealand to attend, and its absence was definately felt on the moors. The Western region Manor, driven superbly today by Driver Newman, added some interest, but it fell largely to the unsung heroes of the NYMR to work the duties that would see the crowds gaze and stare in their direction deliberately for a change.

The colour of these heros was normally black - a sign if ever one was needed, of the work these dependable leviathans would have done all those years ago. New to the line for some is the 9F, 92214 now named 'Cock of the North' and its appearance and familiarity with the line will grow as it becomes a residence of the future. But this gala saw two stalwarts of the lines past. Two Black 5s that are of a class not sinominous with the Esk Valley line, or to Pickering, but have become so thanks to their role in working the line for years as a part of preservation. These were 44767 George Stephenson and 45428 Eric Tracey. It was brilliant to see these two return to the line and work, alongside others such as the Super-D.

For me, the star that stole the show was NELPGs Q6. This engine seemed to just be dependable, and got to work with hauling the trains that it has been doing for years since its return to steam. Alongside the Black 5s and standards, this NER machine proved that the regions heritage still counts and still works amongst others that have become adopted NYMR regulars. While, some may have wanted the sleek grace of the A4, or been charmed by the magesty of the Western regions example visiting the line as a first for the class, I doubt few didnt notice that the aged but valiant 63395, of 51A was engine that was noticed more for still doing its role as normal and rather than trying to be the headline, it became theirs by choice. Now thats an example of a S&D themed gala proper - not like last year!

Enjoy,

David
    aka The Black Hat

15. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    A small update tonight:

All the surviving Deltics in the land will be on display at Shildon this coming weekend. I think its the first time that all production Deltics and the Pioneer DP1 have been together. Certain will be quite something. Ive got some pictures of the engines arriving tonight, in the wild wind and rain.

http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p955786331

Hope to see you at the event.

16. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all - a bit of a rush job update.

Well just to tempt any of you for the jaunt up north / or show what your missing at the Deltic event *delete as appropriate - heres some pics of the Deltics at Shildon this afternoon. Ive got to get back to work soon, so the photos are being uploaded.

Looking forward to the Night time photoshoot which was about to start as I left.

Heres the link: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p797122500
    Enjoy,

17. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all - heres my take on the event at Shildon.

Pictures on the Saturday night shoot, with constant drizzle rather than clear skies of the night before are here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p694952834

The magnificent seven - for the first time in preservation history, all surviving Deltic's were lined up and displayed at Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon. The night shoot, which on the saturday was unfortunately blessed by continual drissle, still brought the chance for some good photographs. The Deltics came from across the preserved scene, one even having recently been on contract to GBRf.

Thanks must go to Martin Walker, the DPS and Locomotion for the operation and staffing of the event. The night shoot itself was really freindly, with some nice people to meet and also plenty of others that I knew as 'freinds of the Black Hat'. It was truely a memorable night, especially when at one point, 6 Deltic engines were running simultaneously, a somewhat noisy but enjoyable experience. Deltics do indeed have a cult following, and the display of these with the Pioneer prototype DP1 was indeed a case of 7 examples of fine engineering.

18. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hello all, an update to the site this evening, on the tour for the Weardale.

Pictures of this trip can be seen here: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p650321280

My report of the event is here:

The Railway Touring Company's 'The Weardale' is now becoming a regular anual event. This year saw a repeat of the inaugural run last year, with Black 5 45305 retracing the route that WCRCs own 48151 worked last year.

The tour is seen first at Bishop Auckland, arriving onto the Weardale Railway line, before then being seen at Witton Park, near Witton-le-Wear, Wolsingham, near Frosterley and finally Stanhope. Then the train was seen in some areas before going to Darlington Bank Top Station. Here, unlike last year, the Black 5 was to haul the train back north, but needed to run round as the leg from Stanhope to Darlington was diesel hauled. This saw a quick and efficient run round with the Black 5 before then leaving north to time, out of the marvelous NER overroof, but north out of Platform 1, something rarely seen using steam and at Darlington.

19. Outsider

Outsider New Member

A nice set of pictures. Good to see that 45305 has recovered from the serious problem which prevented it from attending the KWVR Gala last weekend.

20. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Two engines that were bound to get attention were the arrivals of A4, Bittern in LNER Garter Blue and BR Standard 70000 Britannia. These two were seen along side the other resident engines of 9F, 92212 and the S15, while another visitor was BR stanard 4MT 80072. The weather held off for the day allowing some runs to Levisham but also to see engines on the Southern end of the railway for a change, rather than race to the climb out of Grosmont, which no doubt for some brought many memorable photographs, but tends to be the centre of attention.

It was the first chance I had to see Pickering's roof, which looked impressive and sounded fantastic with the Brit thundering underneath. Shame more could not be done to keep the A4 with the teaks all weekend, but no doubt they were paired over the weekend. A nice return to the moors, and no doubt will will return in the future.

If your interested, photos are available for sale, by following the options on the site. If anyone wants other options not available, feel free to contact me and arangements can be made.

Black Hat Railway Pictures | NYMR Spring Steam Gala 2012