If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Age of Austerity

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Fireline, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Whilst acknowledging Avonsides point about mistaking the "Uglies" for a Hunslet development I can also see the logic of the RSH development from the Manning Wardle 16" designs especially since the 1895 design was copied for further ironstone duties, firstly by Kitson (K5469 / 70 / 73 / 74 / 76 - 78 = S&L 44 -50) then RSH (RSH7003 / 04 / 30 / 31 / 32 = S&L 51 - 55); however Eric Tonks does note that the "Uglies" were designed by RSH in consultation with S&L to incorporate the best features of the Manning Wardle (16") locomotives but adopted the 18" cylinders of the Hunslet design (from HE 2411-16 batch) and - presumably - other features that assisted the (false) identification of the design being derived from the Hunslet Austerities.

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you look at an 'Ugly' and an Austerity, I don't think that you'll find much that is common between the two, other than the wheel arrangement and the size of the cylinders. S & L wanted bigger locos than the 16"; going to 18" isn't exactly copying an Austerity, it is simply the logic of going bigger.