If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Teifi Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Anthony Coulls, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

A few years ago Michael Draper did another interview in Steam Railway about if his views had changed since the original interview and one of the things that came up was lottery funding. IIRC he considered it a time bomb as he felt railways were taking the "easy" option of getting lottery funding and indeed went on to say that it wasn't a plan for the future as if the funding was stopped there was nothing to fall back on so although he didn't consider it originally he has given his views on it.

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    There is a difference in the movement between those that enjoy restoring versus those that enjoy operating. Relaying a piece of line that has been vacant trackbed for many years is just as significant as restoring a loco or carriage. It is hard to beat the satisfaction of bringing an old railway trackbed back to life. This will continue to be a draw for many and as a result the "expansion" of the heritage network is I am sure set to continue into the future. Of course it is infinitely more expensive now than it was 20 years ago but that won't stop people trying!

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Interesting point and I agree it's nice to see a railway rebuilt doing what it was built for and functioning as a working railway. Although I do think we might see a small contraction in the movement I don't think that it will be as big as some people would have you think and I think we will see as you say the expansion of heritage network for a few years yet.

4. JWKB

JWKB Member

It's interesting that this is not the first time this has happened in South Wales. The Gwili for example is made up of at least 4 different preservation societies that have all over a period of time decided to work together. These being the original Gwili preservation society, vale of Neath, Caerphilly and Swansea vale.
    During this period we have also seen the fall out at Barry and the subsequent relocation.

I think it fair to say preservation in Wales is about 20-30 years behind our counter parts in England and as such some railway will thrive such as P&B etc and others will struggle.

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Draper seemed to think that there was something "wrong" about getting Lottery money. "Cap in hand" was an expression he used although why money gained from this source was any worse than from others was not at all clear to me.

I do think that railway preservation is still a bit immature. Even well established organisations have been guilty of letting equipment and infrastructure deteriorate because effort and funding have been concentrated on extensions and the like. Adding totally new projects only adds to this.

PH

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    That could be the subject of a whole new thread...

Both Gwili and P and B started with minimal infrastructure, and a single line of modest length. Even Swanage had the platform and buildings when they started.

South Wales was a depressed area in the 80's and Local Authority policies did not have heritage railways at the top their lists for some time after that. This trend has only been changed recently with the last 5 years seeing both the Gwili and P and B receive significant grant aid for expansion via local authorities.

Many of the "other" schemes also pinned their hopes on LA support which didn't emerge and this was a factor on the closure of Swansea Vale and Vale of Neath for example.

Not being a particularly affluent area also resulted in limited volunteer pools and lack of financial benefactors which could have otherwise assisted development of the lines. There were also many fragmented schemes with until recently no clear "winners" in terms of consistent operations capable of having sustained success.

Hopefully this is changing now, but with one major narrow guage line (Brecon) and two standard guage (Gwili and P and B) it would seem that there is little room for any further schemes.

7. decauville1126

decauville1126 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hopefully this is changing now, but with one major narrow guage line (Brecon) and two standard guage (Gwili and P and B) it would seem that there is little room for any further schemes.[/QUOTE]

So what about the Garw Valley project being positioned between the Gwili and P&B schemes? With apologies for drifting off narrow gauge and Teifi in particular.

8. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

Excellent analysis by Matt78. In the case of the TVR, the money for the original purchase of the trackbed came from public donations and Society raffles, jumble sales and other fundraising activities. The site was heavily overgrown and was cleared and had track laid by a Manpower Services scheme supported by local authorities. The Company then had an income from ticket sales. It was always recognised that any buildings/rolling stock/extensions etc would have to be financed by grant aid - but the grants were always at a low percentage of the total costs. Wales had a lot of EU money in the late 90s and 00s and local authorities were begging people for projects to be put forward so that they could benefit from "management" fees. The main problem at TVR has always been shortage of volunteers.

9. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Re Elizabeth's post above it does point out one problem that seems to be appearing on several lines, some established for many years.
    That is the lack of Volunteers and new young blood coming through to the Heritage Railway movement.
    I know we can all post a few exceptions to this, but have others noticed the lack of new faces and more reliance on the regular ones?

Without Volunteer Input I cannot see this Narrow gauge relaid and being run as it should.

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    So what about the Garw Valley project being positioned between the Gwili and P&B schemes? With apologies for drifting off narrow gauge and Teifi in particular.[/QUOTE]

Yes the Garw has ambitions but if you compare what has been achieved there in 20 years versus what (say) the Helston Railway has achieved in 10 then it appears that significant developments at the Garw must await pots of funding for it to establish an operation of sorts.

11. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

"Without Volunteer Input I cannot see this Narrow gauge relaid and being run as it should"

All the more reason to see what can be saved. Approaches to purchase the steam locos might well be made now (being based in Sweden means that's not easy for me to do!). I'd be most interested if anyone were to contact whoever's in charge now and enquire if they want to sell ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  12. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

I have taken up the challenge and emailed the TVR at the address given on the society webpage (which address took sone finding!).
    I wonder whether I'll get the courtesy of a reply?
    Anyhoo - anyone interested in putting in some moolah to a Sgt Murphy rescue fund, please stand by! (Mind you, I reckon they'd rather let it stay unused than sell it...)

Felix Holt likes this.
  13. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

I too would be interested -as long as we could take it to Woody Bay, of course!! :)

Felix Holt likes this.
  14. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

BTW - anyone hazard a guesstimate as to how much a nearly overhauled Ker Stuart 0-6-2 would cost??

Felix Holt likes this.
  15. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Me too, potentially

16. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Why is this?

17. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager

If it's in middle of nowhere and no Volunteer accommodation or cheap B&Bs nearby this will of course hit any rescue bid?
    People from further afield have to know of its problems etc, and requiring Volunteer help, if other Heritage lines and similar nearer them, how do you attract here?

18. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure why anyone is still taking any notice of Michael Draper's views. Wasn't he subsequently found to have been cooking the books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

pmh_74: I hope you have good evidence for that allegation, or that Mr Draper and his lawyers aren't overly sensitive to potentially libelous claims on an open forum...? ;)

wookey likes this.
  20. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I thought it was quite well known why Draper left the SVR, but it wasn't as described above.