If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Teifi Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Anthony Coulls, Jun 22, 2014.

1. cerneobrien

cerneobrien New Member

As I understand it, a limited company must have at least one director, shareholder and a company secretary. However they can all be the same person.

I traveled on the TVR a few years ago.Very sad to learn of the difficulties.

2. sottie

sottie New Member

Oh and BTW, we had an engineer that used to be a volunteer that offered to make that track up to the standard this year and would only of taken 4 weeks :) He was threatened in Henllan carpark that if he got out of the car he would be assalted

3. sottie

sottie New Member

Make your own minds up what the leaseholder want's to do with the place!

WE WILL NOT GIVE UP!

We are meeting the Heritage Railway Association on Aug 4th :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  4. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If all of this is true, then the next logical and most important step is to get the locomotives out of Henllan as quickly as possible before something terrible happens to them as well!

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Very sad. It's 20+ years since I visited the Teifi and it didn't seem to go anywhere much, but it didn't deserve this.

6. sottie

sottie New Member

I'm afraid pmh_74 that you are wrong, in the last 13 years we have built a 3/4 mile extension to the river and built a brand new station on the site of the original GWR one in the carpark at Henllan, both to the full approval of the ORR and designed by me. Restored two steam loco's and 1 diesel with a new cab. The problem SpudUk in getting the loco's out is that they and the coaches are mostly owned by the "society" which are behind the lease holder, however as I understand it they are trying to sell Alan George which cannot happen as she is owned by a consortium and not wholly by the society!!!!

7. sottie

sottie New Member

There is now another issue with Sgt Murphy as the Boiler smith has done the work, not been paid and is holding on to the boiler :)

8. Standard 4MT

Standard 4MT Member

Photographer/IT MCSE/NYMR/ex Police/&Train Manager
    Ah I remember when Sgt Murphy was on the Ffestiniog Railway, privately owned by the MD or GM can't remember position now.

9. sottie

sottie New Member

Gordon Rushton, General Manager :)

10. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

It would seem that whoever had the money to pay the boilermaker might then have a claim on owning the boiler, giving them a good handle to purchase the rest of Sgt Murphy and save it from whatever the new land train people might have in mind...?

11. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    No doubt we'll see Sgt Murphy's body mounted on a tuk-tuk chassis before long

12. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another blow for South Wales railway preservation. Things had been going well with the welsh train project the extension on the gwili and continuous improvement on the pontypool and blaenavon railway.

13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I see your point thb17, but as none of the equipment (as far as I am aware) has a historical connection with South Wales, I wouldn't says it's a blow to the area's railway preservation per se. The work at Gwili is significantly more important to the regions history

14. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I understand, however I think it is a blow because it gets children and adults involved in a heritage railway and therefore simply it's existence is important to preserve the track bed and the stories of the line. I just hope those who feel alienated can maybe help the gwili in the future?

15. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    That's the one positive to this, that the Gwili might see an increase in volunteers, visitors or even funding

16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Anyone interested in a consortium to buy Sgt Murphy (assuming whoever owns it wants to sell)?

17. D1039

D1039 Guest

I see the road train is now on the website, together with the promise track will begin to be relaid in October, so that the steam train can begin operating once more in 2015.

Patrick

18. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

I suppose that's the philosophy that Michael Draper advocated for years: reduce the number of steam railways and concentrate on developing a small number of lines to a very high standard. To some extent the Gwili has already benefited from this philosophy, as I gather the influx of volunteers and track materials from the Swansea Vale Railway gave their extension a real fillip a few years back. Perhaps Mr. Draper is watching all this, laughing and saying "I told you so"?

19. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Difficult not to have some sympathy for Draper's views, though they failed to anticipate two things in my view:
    1. The shear tenacity of individuals and the attractiveness of being part of something more personal than that "well developed line"
    2. The advent of significant lottery grant aid - I worry that this aid has hidden some financial situations that would otherwise have become significant problems at some lines, and I also wonder what would happen if it went away (which isn't too likely in the medium term fortunately). Many will continue to muddle through - some less successfully than others.

The most important thing is not the preservation of the TVR, but the continued security of the equipment.

20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Thing is while I tend to agree, one of the things I like is those less developed, smaller and usually a bit out of the way Railways they have a charm all of their own. I hope the track is put back as promised but personally I will take that claim with a pinch of salt until it starts happening.

Standard 4MT and Martin Perry like this.