If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Teifi Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Anthony Coulls, Jun 22, 2014.

1. The Saggin' Dragon

The Saggin' Dragon Part of the furniture Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A number of unneccessarily personal remarks have been removed. Please keep it polite, Thankyou.

andrewshimmin, JWKB and MattA like this.
  2. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ruin brought about by one man, Ray Sanderson, so desperate for commercial success that he gave the Railway away to a totally unscrupulous trickster who promised him money and then stripped the assets bare (he got £14k from sale of TVR hardwood trees). So where is his "Railway World Adventure Park on the site of the former Teifi Valley Railway" now?

3. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, I fully understand your anger at the previous management and their actions in selling off the assets. Nobody likes to see the results of years of their own work, and that of their fellows, frittered away or wasted. I have personal experience of a similar situation in a different kind of organization and you have my understanding and sympathy. However there is a new group in place rebuilding your railway and trying to make good the damage. It is sad that they do not want to include you, and I know that this must hurt, but you really need to step back and let them get on with it without publicly sniping at them. Be thankful that at least someone is trying to rescue the railway, which is going to become even harder after Covid. Give them your blessing and move on to other things which will give you pleasure and satisfaction.
    Best wishes,
    Mike

4. Elizabeth Perry

The Railway was in chaos in October 2014. Sanderson was in hiding and refusing to speak to anyone, the trickster had gone bankupt, the Society had sacked all the directors, enormous timber lorries were crashing up and down the trackbed, and nobody knew what to do. One individual, the past General Manager, who had been sacked years before for incompetence and banned by ORR from taking any post of responsibility, saw his opportunity and took command of the situation. He announced that he was in charge and brought in a group of friends as new recruits. Nothing could happen without his approval which meant that in practice volunteers spent long periods waiting around for him to turn up. The new recruits soon disappeared. Since then not much has changed. The General Manager is still in charge, the directors do no directing, the Society has dwindled away and there is no trackside or engineering maintenance. I was one of the directors who sacked him years ago. Hence my exclusion. I just report what is happening.

5. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

But to what end Elizabeth?
    Serious question - what purpose do you think it serves to keep posting your anger on here? Dwelling on the past and bad experiences is not good for mental health.
    None of us can change the setup of the railway anymore than you can. So what is the point in posting diatribes on here? It achieves nothing.

It really is time to move on and learn to live with things you cannot change and try to do something positive with your enthusiasm and skills.
    I'm sure the Gwili railway would be glad to welcome you.

Keith

6. Elizabeth Perry

From the start it's been a desperate cry for help from the narrow gauge community, for some sensible , professional people to rescue the TVR and run it properly. Two of us "elders" visited Brecon to ask Tony Hills if he would be interested in taking over, but although very sympathetic he was already ill. In the present circumstances rescue appears impossible so we can only hope that as many heritage railways as possible survive.

talyllyn1, Meiriongwril and ross like this.
  7. weltrol

weltrol Member Friend

Ms Perry's axe must be in need of a new head by now.....

8. A Non

A Non New Member

TVR shareholder and society member of some 25 years here. Whilst I've been following this thread for years, lockdown has given me an opportunity to properly digest every detail and associated materials. Know it doesn't need saying again but just wanted to echo how difficult the contents of this thread have been to read - not just because of the physical devastation to a railway and its assets that so many people held dear - but also because of the approach taken by some to commentate and interact.

On a human level, I find it problematic that in some cases, comments and discussions are being had about complex circumstances without giving the individuals concerned an opportunity to input or defend themselves before sweeping and damaging assumptions are made.

During the period of collapse over summer 2014, communications were lacking. I myself only found about the development and consequences of the serious situation by stumbling across this thread and a few Facebook posts. I do not recall receiving any direct shareholder communication giving updates or information concerning the developments, either before or after the change of the company's Secretary.

I understand the distress cause to individuals formerly involved with the railway, as was acknowledged above by Mike. What worries me is that these grievances are being shared so publicly and devastatingly, particularly as many details and much background context is left unsaid. Making accusations is increasingly unhelpful but I am sad in coming to the conclusion that there is a clear attempt here to control the narrative.

Finally, I wish to raise a question - what is the role of Dyfed Railway Company Ltd (company number 06980276)? There must be some purpose of it; the original incorporated name of the TVR Ltd (number 01149600) was Dyfed Railway Company before being renamed in 1989; and the two organisations at one time shared personnel holding directorships.

I honestly regret that my first post to this thread and indeed this forum is so despairing in tone. The course of discussion on this thread over the last couple of weeks has been saddening to follow and I felt that I had to state my feelings, even if I am shouting into the ether.

Best wishes to all.

9. City of truro fan

City of truro fan New Member

The gwili won’t want trouble makers

10. ross

ross Well-Known Member

I am aware that you are being tactful.... but by this statement, do you mean 1) some people may be posting a biased version of the facts, or do you mean 2) that there are people posting on this thread attempting to suppress others from relating their view of events.
    Sorry, don't mean to embarrass you, just trying to be clear

11. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Who said Elizabeth is a troublemaker? I certainly didn't.

Keith

Thompson1706, SpudUk, 30854 and 3 others like this.
  12. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    I visited the Teifi Valley Railway last summer, in between visits to the Rheiddol and the Gwili , and learned about some of its difficulties , past and present, at first hand.

Thus I for one find it somewhat upsetting to read the regular slagging advice posts that seem to follow Elizabeth every time she makes a comment or posts some Teifi information on NP.

The Teifi Valley people and readers in general should in reality appreciate her very informative posts. They actually form a very useful function.

Firstly they serve to remind the current Teifi management of the need to complete vital pieces of paperwork on time and of the dates that such paperwork should have been submitted to Companies House and other other like authorities.

Secondly, her posts serve to keep the wider Teifi railway cognoscenti interested and informed both about what has happened at the Teifi in past times and what is/is not happening there now.

Thank you Elizabeth for maintaining your love and care about the Teifi over such a long period of time and the efforts you put into keeping the railway world aware of events at Henllan.
    Sincerely,
    Jamie Glover.

Edited; Grammatical error

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    garth manor, 48624, SpudUk and 8 others like this.
  13. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Yes I agree. We have seen some consistently strong views about other railways from individuals on other theads. (WSR comes to mind). It seems @Elizabeth Perry ‘s main issue on this thread is that she is a lone voice within the TVR community with few others being willing to come on here “in the know”. It is a shame the actual “management” posted here once and then decided not to engage further. Neither does it seem that the usual “supporter avenues” such as being a shareholder or member will provide any further enlightenment.

Personally I find Elizabeth’s updates very welcome and can well understand her point of view after investing so much time in the railway. We should all respect this.

the Facebook page is updated and that does share some news and to be fair progress has been made on the track relaying and visitors enjoying themselves.

The bottom line though is any revitalised TVR have to find the right business model. It’s been tried with mainly volunteers, and then mainly paid staff, and then (disastrously) with a “businessman”. Maybe they can continue in a small way with a few key personnel as a closed shop (even without a reasonable support base).

Personally my support and efforts lie very much on the line to the south of the Teifi but I wish them well and would far rather see the railway existing and being enjoyed than closed. It’s a sad situation especially given the efforts of all those over the years including Elizabeth who have worked so hard to set up and establish the railway.

regards

Matt

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  14. Elizabeth Perry

To answer A Non: the Dyfed Railway Company purchased the branch line and obtained the Light Railway Order. When the county "Dyfed" was abolished the name was changed to Teifi Valley Railway. Some time after this I found that the name "Dyfed Railway Company" was available for use by anyone who cared to take it over. For sentimental reasons I took it and have maintained it as a dormant Company ever since. It has no function.

15. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    Elizabeth has done railway preservation a considerable service by shining a light on what can happen (what did happen...) when poor governance of an operation becomes a major issue. She should be applauded for that.

16. Elizabeth Perry

The Company Accounts for 2018 are now filed at Companies House and can be viewed by the public. They are sparse in detail but appear to show a continued decline. (a loss of over £9k). The Accounts for the Busy Bee Cafe remain unfiled.

17. DcB

DcB New Member

Sad to hear the decline in finances andthis year will be tough for the little railway.
    But noticed they did an optimistic post on facebook with some photos of the track and Sargent Murphy's loco frame being reassmbled.

ross, Bluenosejohn and Steve B like this.
  18. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Part of the furniture Staff Member Moderator

a number of posts along with associated responses have been consigned to the recycle bin , my own included

jon5051, JWKB, Snail368 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    Is this yet another attempt by a particular moderator to impose censorship by moving polite but critical posts concerning himself to a recycle bin?

This time even an excellently honest posting by moderator in chief Big Al has been removed and recycled. Amazing! Something I cannot ever recall happening before.

It would have been far more appropriate for the criticised person to have posted a public apology to Elizabeth Perry herself.

Jamie Glover.

An afterthought. Will the person in question ensure that this posting finds its way to his recycle bin too? I think we should be told.

20. DcB

DcB New Member

Although the website has not been updated the Facebook page had an update yesterday
    "John , and his wife (Sheila) are working on the footpath down to the waterfall at Pont. In readiness for the re- opening of Pont. Station, which should happen in August."
    Plus some photos. So seems some progess is slowly being made?