If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Teifi Valley Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Anthony Coulls, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Membership Secretary at present is Ken Jones, contact him on kencaro@lwcdial.net

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks Elizabeth have sent him an e mail

3. lynbarn

From what I have been told, there is still a lot going on behind the scenes which due to legal reasons can not be reported on just yet, it is not all doom and gloom and there is light at the end of this tunnel, but it is a long tunnel, if you are a member don't give up as the society still needs you.

The one problem with a lot of railway groups is they are started by volunteers who may not come from a working railway background, but as long as you are prepared to learn the skills required to run a railway, then things can only get better. May be it is time to think about holding skills workshop weekends on different railways so that knowledge is past on to other volunteers?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Not much in the way of updates on here but their facebook page is being regularly updated.

Track laying, repairs to Alan George amongst other things.

But now it seems someone is now sticking an oar in again and forcing the resignation of their head engineer.
    This is so sad just when the revival was looking so promising.
    Reading between the lines, it looks like something needs to be reported to the police and if so I hope it has.

Just what the hell is going on down there?
    Read for yourselves .... https://www.facebook.com/TeifiValleyRly

5. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I do have to wonder - speaking as an outsider with only this thread and Facebook to go on - if the resignation is partly a result of comments like those earlier in this thread about "con men", "private social club" and the like.

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  6. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

According to the TVR Facebook page, Dave's resignation was due to personal attacks on him from persons unknown, not from anyone at the TVR. There is no further information and no explanation as to why these attacks would cause him to leave the railway, where he was an essential part of the resurrection as Responsible Person. The page contains several messages of support in a reaction to the devastating news, including an expression of thanks from the current Manager.

7. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

An appeal for rescue of the TVR has been sent to Steam Railway, Heritage Railway etc so hope it is printed. Urgently needed are a Responsible Person, drivers, firemen and other railway people. Any chance of any real interest?

nick813 likes this.
  8. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Unlike some who post on Nat Pres, I have a feeling there may well be an eventual reinstatement of the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line (if only for political reasons). I'm not sure I'd be too keen therefore to invest in a railway that sits right along the trackbed of the line that might be reinstated.

I'd suggest maybe taking the stock elsewhere (as did the Swansea Vale when it merged with the Gwili) and offer to sell the trackbed to Traws Link Cymru. As it appears from the TLC spokespeople that the Gwili trackbed is safe as far as Llanpumsaint, another option would be to run TVR trains from Conwil to Llanpumsaint as a narrow gauge addition (or Danycoed to Conwil - might be light enough for the suspect bridges). That would be a unique selling point - standard gauge and narrow gauge on one ticket!

9. Selsig

Selsig Member

But the Teifi is on the trackbed of the Pencader - Newcastle Emlyn branch, not the main Manchester and Milford line from Aber - Carmarthen, so isn't even vaguely under threat by the Traws Link scheme.

michaelh likes this.
  10. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Oops, so 'tis! Mea culpa :oops:
    Still - I think a Gwili-TVR joint line might work. I don't think the TVR on its own is likely to make a go of it.
    How about dual gauge Danycoed to Cynwil?? ;)

11. Elizabeth Perry

Elizabeth Perry Member

About 10 years ago when the Carmarthen-Aberystwyth line campaign began, there was a fairly serious suggestion that an extra million or two might do to construct a totally new narrow gauge line from Henllan to Lampeter, where trains could join the main line. The Emlyn branch originally left the main line at Pencader Junction and headed off northwest to Llandysul. This route is now more or less impossible following building of council houses, Llandysul Bypass, etc etc. The TVR owns up to the missing river bridge at Alltycafan, just outside Llandysul. Interesting engineering problem!

12. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Well how about SG Abergwili to Conwil and NG Conwil to Llanpumsaint?

13. JWKB

JWKB Member

Matt,
    Nah just do AJ to DC Standard guage and DC North in NG ;)

14. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

SG to Cynwil requires bridge works. NG might not, depending on weight. So the TVR could be relaid very soon and still meet up with the Gwili. After funds are obtained in some years time to strengthen the bridges then the TVR could be moved to run from Cynwil to Llanmpumsaint. A bit of dual gauge would of course be fun but not cheap!
    BTW, this is meant as a potentially serious idea building on the precedent of the Gwili - Swansea Vale merger.

15. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Yes if there really is no way forward for the TVR then the GR - SwVR merger provides a precedent. South Wales has suffered a number of failed scheme/ones that never got off the ground and the Gwili has often provided an avenue for a new start for several groups in that situation.

For the time being however the TVR has to look around to see if it is still possible to salvage something, and I wish them well in this regard.

Regards

Matt

16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

You gotta admit that being the only heritage line in UK that transitions from SG to NG would make the Gwili a must visit line!!

17. lynbarn

From what I know, the Teifi could do with someone who has some money to spare, I think what is required is some one like Nigel Bowman to take charge of the whole project and they could then turn it around, to a certain extent it would be a good place for a collection of locos like Statfold has, just as long as you have the back up to maintain and rebuild the whole line.

18. Charobin

Charobin Member

Some money? Lots!

Realistically a transplant to somewhere that isn't in the back end of nowhere to encourage greater visitor and volunteer numbers, plus a fairy godfather or two, are what the Teifi require. They are nearly starting from scratch after all - the fact they have been contacting railways asking to copy their rule book probably demonstrates how little the current team are starting from!

A 'Teifi Valley Railway Disaster' page has recently appeared on Facebook with the following statement, I suspect written by someone who was heavily involved. I recommend making a cuppa before you sit down and read it!:

I do wish the team on the ground at Teifi good luck, but don't hold much hope that we will see more than a very short railway there in the near future.

19. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I'm naming no names, but I don't think it would take a genius to work out who wrote that page!

Keith

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  20. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Well - all the more reason for the serious suggestion of a Gwili-TVR merger.
    If I were the Gwili managers I'd be checking the reports on the bridges between the current head of line and Cynwil (Conwil) to see whether they'd take a narrow gauge train. The TVR used to run over about 2 miles; it may well be that there aren't 2 miles of serviceable rail available anymore, though. However, only 3 bridges need to be crossed (from the total of 8 on the northern part of the Gwili) to get to Cynwil and there'd probably be enough TVR rail to get most of the way.

How about it folks? Let's encourage the two railways to at least start talking to each other. Think: the only SG-NG combined line in the UK!! :)