If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swansea Vale Railway moves to Gwili

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Toad 114762 arrived today, together with GWR Tunney (http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... p?Ref=2006) and Dogfish Ballast Wagon. I'll see if I can find the numbers

The LMS Hand Crane will also arrive later this week

Tomorrow there are 3 tanker wagons and the GWR Tool Van (http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... p?Ref=1997) going to the Amman Valley Railway at Glanammon

2. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Cheers Matt
    Good to see the GWR Tunney has made it, makes a change from a Starfish. Hope you get the GWR Ling as well. I don't have any detail of a Dogfish at the SVR so an I'd will be welcome.
    The Tool Van is an ex GWR Fruit D no 2887. Is the Amman Valley Railway still going ahead? Haven't heard anything for a long time.
    The 3 tanks should be ex Tar Tanks, 14t 40232 & 40353 built by Charles Roberts. 22t 48306 built Cambrian 1939 all ex NCB use.
    Steve

3. 37411

37411 New Member

Sorry for slightly hijacking the thread Matt,

As far as i know, back in 2006, The Amman Valley Railway had the plans for the lease of Pantyffynon Station approved by Network Rail and also the proposed plans of the abernant section branch aprroved by ORR (office of the rail regulator). I believe they have purchased the first 2-3 miles of the trackbed between Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen and abernant colliery branch, however to connect back onto NR metals, a point would need to beinstalled near the A474 crossing at GCG. I'm not entirely sure now whether or not Pantyffynon Station will be leased to the society since the reopening of the Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen Route back earlier this year, and with DBS now operating 3 trains a week then pathing rights will have to be looked at.

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  5. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi Matt
    Van 95156 a GWR 10t Mink A built Swindon 1915c Diagram V16. Not sure about the other one? There were 3 10t Box Vans at the SVR ex ROF Glascoed numbered 30408/449/468. These were registered by the GWR as 85192/121/189 respectively but were built for the MOD and never operated for the GWR. I suspect it was one of these, all used to be in a pale green livery.

Steve

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  7. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    A picture of the Swansea Vale Railway Toad at Bronwydd is below

I also managed to find out the Dogfish Number - DB993568

8. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Cheers Matt
    I didn't have the Dogfish anywhere in preservation, so an extra one to add to the list. Not many wagons left at the SVR now!
    Steve

9. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    More delivereies today, another box van, GWR Tunney , Peckett steam loco Mond Nickel No.1 and a Ruston 88 Diesel arrived today. Only 3 items left at Swansea, Austerity 3829, North British and a 60ft rail carrier. They will all follow in around a month's time.

The photo shows the Peckett arriving, unfortunatley it does need some heavy firebox repairs as well as being a little underpowered for the Gwili, so no predictions from this end about a return to steam just yet.

10. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    the peckett would look nice at foxfield

11. basher

basher Member

Musician
    I like the silver buffers, for the special occasion! =D>

12. (SMR) StormCraft

(SMR) StormCraft New Member

Freelancer
    I guess I'm quite disappointed.

That railway had a sod load of potential 'If It was placed In the right hands.'

Anyway, onwards and steaming. The end for some Is a new beginning for others..