If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway 'Somerset and Dorset Weekend' - 17/18 November

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Rumpole, Oct 31, 2018.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well, my oldest two sons & I rocked up at Norden for the 11.20. It was running late due to a SPAD involving 257 Squadron which was simmering away at Swanage getting attention due to a possible brake issue.

We had a compartment in the Bullied composite so then did a round trip in it behind the 33 that was standing in for 257 Squadron before heading off to Chococo for a little light refreshment and a rather dramatic walk along the sea front where a high tide and waves made quite a spectacle.

We then went to Harmans Cross behind 80104, back behind the 33 then home via Norden with the Black 5, time now having been regained.

Good weather, some interesting locos and great Scenery made for a good day out.

What I dont understand though is why the set with the Bullieds had only one other vehicle, a MK1 SK with half the compartments removed for wheelchairs. It was rather crowded and I dont understand why a further vehicle could not have been added.

Including a PMV though was rather a nice touch 2018-11-18 14.30.53.jpg

2. Matt McFarlane

Matt McFarlane New Member

My video of today, enjoy :)

3. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

A short video of 44871 in action yesterday. I hope you enjoy it :)

siranorak likes this.
  4. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

IMG_0108.JPG A few images from my day riding (the very cold) trains on Saturday and lineside on Sunday.
    Nice to see a train that almost fitted under the Swanage station canopy for once.
    Also a couple of attempts at "something different" that may or may not have worked. IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1959b.jpg IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0207.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    6026 King John likes this.
  5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That rake had been in use for some photo charters including on Thurday, so presumably was used to save shunting
    [​IMG]Wareham Local by Arle Images, on Flickr

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Many thanks to the crews and staff who made this event happen. Especially to the crew of the Black 5 on the 09:26 from Swanage on Saturday who had to cope with some very adverse rail conditions away from the TSR at New Barn and around the reverse curves at Ponderosa and the very damp section through the trees by Wilderness. Despite the locos desire to slip whilst tender first of course, and speed dropping to not much more than walking pace forward momentum was maintained. Also even allowing for the lighter loads than normal some impressive times were set on my usual timing stretches by both the Back 5 and Standard Tank.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018