If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Anyone know why the U was cleaned? It was beginning to look quite realistic.

We will need a serious warm up down here I think for Sunday ops as it appears the forecast freezing rain must have arrived last night and now sheet ice sits on frozen snow. I will not even risk a trip to the post office today.

Just seen update on Swanage Twitter feed no Sunday service either.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

oliversbest said:
    Any chance that the SR could lease some carriages from the IOWR to couple up to the M7. An instant period train.

Interesting (but very very costly transport from/to the island) idea.
    However, I believe, all IoWSR carriages are Air-Braked only whereas 30053 was/is vacuum-braked only.
    So far as I recall, air pumps, etc. on push-pull M7's related only to operation of push-pull equipment.
    Also, NRM's 245 was never push-pull fitted as it still retains it's original screw reverser (rather than a Drummond steam reverser) and has short framing in front of the smokebox [- i.e. not enough room for the air reservoir tank under the framing in front of the front wheels].

paulhitch likes this.
  3. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Period maybe, but not particularly appropriate. All the IOWSR coaches are LBSC/SECR origin, not LSWR.

The Swanage railway do have ambitions to create a 2 coach Maunsell push pull though. Paired with the M7, this would be an entirely prototypical train for the line.

Also the Swanage railway have a LSWR Ironclad coach, and a few 1880s/90s LSWR grounded bodies. Especially with the arrival of the T3, restoration of these coaches may become a higher priority in the next few years.

4. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    They are VERY long term projects and are in a long queue of things that the railway would like to do.
    Don't hold your breath unless a sugar daddy comes on the scene.

5. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Yes true that the LSWR coaches are very long term, or when I win the lottery territory!

However restoration of 1381 is coming along nicely. So almost half way there to at least a visual recreation of a push pull set (even if 1381 itself was never a pp coach).

6. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Believe 34053 Sir Keith Park might be transported from Herston Works to Norden road/rail facility, and then towed to Swanage, on Monday (tomorrow).
    If not, don't shoot the messenger!

7. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

A glance into R.W. Kidners's "Southern Railway Branch Line Trains" will reveal there would be no such thing as "not particularly appropriate" about push pull stock originating from any one of the Southern Railway constituents ending up on any part of the S.R, system. It seems that there tended to be a shortage of it.

Set 484 in the I.O.W., which is about the only survival, certainly the only usable survival.of such stock is, indeed , air braked.

PH

30854 likes this.
  8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Seems an obvious 'package' to put together for a grant/major appeal - T3, coaches, shed for restoration, storage, display and interpretation and apprentice scheme to pass on the skills needed for the restorations!

Steven

9. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I was thinking that. I believe possible grant funding applications are being looked at for the T3, so will be interesting to see what it will involve.

I believe the Swanage railway have said the T3 will not return until there is undercover accommodation for it.

10. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

Have they?
    Where?

11. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I'd personally be all for this approach if that's what they go for, as it's not necessarily that far different from the grant the MHR were rewarded to overhaul Canadian Pacific as well as 2 bullied carriages, except in this case the heritage value of what the Swanage Railway could achieve is arguably more significant. To have a a complete LSWR period train, the T3 in it's LSWR guise as it is now, and a few of the LSWR period carriages in matching liveries. And of course to top this off a place in which to store them, perhaps a part carriage shed part museum specifically centred round the LSWR.

Certainly with the T9 now potentially having a long term home on the Swanage Railway, along with the M7's presence, few railways can boast to have a better representation of the LSWR, apart from perhaps the Bluebell Railway but their one and only engine from that company is far from being steamed again.

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Two, I think you’ll find. The Mid Hants also have two ex-LSWR locos, albeit of a slightly later period.

Tom

13. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I’m sure I’ve seen Matt McManus quoted as saying that somewhere.

14. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Ah yes but of course, the two LSWR built S15s, your quite right Tom, thanks for the correction there. I do believe their restoring one of them into it's LSWR guise too, that should be quite a sight.
    Pity about the loss of that Ironclad couch they were working on when that fire broke out, a great loss that was... I believe it was restaurant/buffet example wasn't it? That wasn't the only example of that type was it?

In fact come to think of it, does the Bluebell Railway have any Ironclad carriages in it's collection Tom? Just curious.

15. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

No Ironclads on the Bluebell. One on the Mid Hants, one at Swanage and a few others dotted around.

Its s shame the Mid Hants don’t collect a few more Ironclads together to restore in their carriage workshop, after the Bulleids are finished. Much more appropriate and useful than the LBSCR 4 wheelers they acquired.

16. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Personally I'd have the Ironclads go to Swanage myself, the LBSCR 4 wheelers to the Bluebell, and the Maunsell carriages that the Swanage Railway aren't using for their push pull train idea to the Mid Hants. In this way the carriages are going to places most suited to them, particularly locomotive matching wise. The Mid Hants has far more Bulleid and Maunsell designed locomotives there, whereas at Swanage nowadays they got a better representation of LSWR locomotives. And of course the Bluebell actually have an engine (with another soon to join it) to represent the LBSCR.

This is my ideal view on things, but of course in reality it's easier said then done.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  17. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

It was a great loss that an LSWR diner was destroyed in the fire at Ropley. (Not that a diner would be very prototypical for a branchlike train).

18. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    The Bluebell does, however, have three LSWR bogie coaches including No., 1520 which is the only currently operational LSWR carriage anywhere as far as I am aware. It is also painted in LSWR livery. Looks lovely on the outside and is a superb vehicle in which to travel.

19. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Certainly in an ideal world I'd agree with you, the LBSCR 4-wheelers to the Bluebell especially, I just don't see what the MHR will do with them, and that nice swapsy makes everything even. Shame it probably won't happen though. :/

20. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Not sure the Bluebell would want the LBSCR coaches. They have plenty to keep them busy already.

Any news on Maunsell 1346 restoration at Rampart? Once this and 1381 are complete l, it will give Swanage a 4 coach Maunsell/ Bulleid set.

Also is there any progress with the Swanage Railway’s plans for a carriage shed.