If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No. On hold

2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

That is how it should be if the intention is that only present volunteers can apply for vacancies. What about people with possibly relevant experience from outside, for example at other railways?

Spike likes this.
  3. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Does look like the CEO post (the badly needed GM post has been vacant for a long while) was widely advertised in the Summer
    https://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/vacancies/19
    "The Swanage Railway invites potential applicants to express interest for the post of
    CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
    Persons interested in this exciting leadership opportunity at a top level heritage railway should contact Peter Milford, Company Secretary, to request an information pack or visit
    www.srstaff.co.uk/vacancies/CEO22
    Closing date for applications: Monday 20th June 2022"
    I presume several applied, no one was appointed so as Daddsie71b said is "on hold"

4. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    I of course was referring to the link to the SR staff Website which is supposed to be for people who work/volunteer on the Swanage Railway.
    Interestingly. even on the www.swanagerailway.co.uk/vacancies/19 on the official site clicking on the www.srstaff.co.uk/vacancies/CEO22
    still only brings up the 403 Forbidden message.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  5. PortLineParker

PortLineParker New Member

I think that's because the first 'a' from Swanage is missing in the web address. It loads correctly if you add it in manually. But yes, the second link still comes up as 403.

Cheers,

PLP

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

A few random observations from the first three days of FS running.
    From the number of people viewed from the webcam or the times I have been to visit my dad (his flat is in Gilbert Road but he broke his hip in August and is still not mobile) the bridge is as well.
    Still not feeling well (today terrible) I am only doing one train a day and then where I can be on my own as I think my pneumonia is coming back.
    Saturday field by Bridge 21 guy over the gate lineside. I shouted to have a lineside pass knew he did not as there are not any and he did not even have a high viz. He just looked at me like dirt and shouted no. Not sure if the crew of Eddystone shouted at him but he left before FS arrived.
    Late running Saturday evening meant that by the time I had done my Dad's dinner for him the numbers in Gilbert road and the bridge could be counted on one had rather than with a calculator, which allowed a couple of images to be taken.
    Sunday took me 3 locations to find somewhere that I was on my own, despite being just after the mammoth thunderstorm.
    Today wife came back from the town, opened the door and her first comment was "that f.....g loco I had to walk in the road in Gilbert Road. Apparently railway side full of viewers and nobody the other side would let her pass on the pavement. Not good having to walk half along the road with your back to the traffic.
    This afternoon my dad wanted something dropped off, then he said could I get him some pics on his camera. Loads on the bridge so walked down to the outer home in the park, where I was on my own. Dropped is camera off after but as I left his flat two guys (out of a car of 4) in Ilminster Road one urinating up a wall the other up the outside wall of a block of flats. Seems there are all sorts around this week!

Trains I have seen look full, hope the railway is making good money.

When the 5 running days are over I will try to upload a few images.

Sunnieboy likes this.
  7. pmilford

pmilford New Member

Two icons in the same place - 60103 passes Corfe Castle on Monday 24th October 60103_CastleView.jpg

8. pmilford

pmilford New Member

60103 departs Swanage on 24th October 60103_Swanage241022l.jpg

cg, 6026 King John, Chris86 and 6 others like this.
  9. Gladiator 5076

A few images from my very limited energy to go out over the past 5 days and the need to keep away from the army of people in most places. Based on the effort the final daylight image took on my body and despite a chest x ray that morning which the technician took to a doctor who said OK to go home unsure how long I can keep doing this if I do not improve.
    No particular photographic merit to any of them just record shots. I guess one could be called the Swanage Branch of the NRM.

Attached Files:

10. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

Thanks very much for those good pictures, but please do look after yourself for a while to aid your recovery.

Matt37401, ghost, Woof Mk2 and 6 others like this.
  11. Josh Voce

Josh Voce New Member

The latest update from the 563 locomotive group has now premiered on YouTube. Titled 'Tender Loving Care' this update focuses on the T3's tender as well as other topics.

The link to watch the new update is below.

12. Gladiator 5076

As we like to do things different in Purbeck we now seem to have our own time zone GMT + 30 at least according to the Corfe webcam.
    Some quirk of the clock change yesterday I assume.

6026 King John and Sunnieboy like this.
  13. Gladiator 5076

I heard a diesel horn across the park and pleased to see it was this. As the route out of the works normally goes past my house yet another opportunity to get an image with the house in the background.
    upload_2022-11-2_15-37-9.png

Andy Moody, Wenlock, 3ABescot and 4 others like this.
  14. 30667

30667 New Member

I've been following Nat Pres for a number of years now but this is the first time I have plucked up the courage to post anything. So.... Today I popped over to Swanage as I was interested to see what it was like to walk through the corridor tender of Flying Scotsman. It's certainly been a day for pacifics today. Driving through Corfe Castle I passed Manston on the low loader going to Norden. Had my walk through Flying Scotsman's corridor tender onto the footplate and then a return trip to Norden behind Eddystone in Maunsell S1346S. Driving back, between Harmans Cross and Corfe I saw Manston being hauled to Swanage when passing over the railway on the A351. I called in at Norden just in time to see Sir Keith Park leave on the low loader for Herston works. I was told that later in the day, 257 Squadron would be hauled to Norden and then taken on the low loader to the Spa Valley railway. So four Bulleids on the move at Swanage today!!

15. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    @30667 Having merely peered into one from the corridor end many moons ago, can't say I've seen right down one, but I'm not at all sure I could fit through a Gresley corridor tender these days. Lard, not claustrophobia. Congratulations on having a most unusual experience to recount in your first post. It's certainly not one I've read of on here before. Oh aye .... and welcome to the fray. :)

3ABescot likes this.
  16. 30667

30667 New Member

I've tried to upload my video of my walk through Scotsman's tender. When I click on upload file, it does not see the videos in my videos folder but it does see pictures in my pictures folder. So don't know how to upload a video on here. Thanks for the welcome @30854. :)

17. Gladiator 5076

Always useful to have somewhere to shelter from the rain.
    I had the misfortune to be on the way back from a blood test at the surgery when this "light rain", at least that is what the BBC weather called it, happened yesterday morning. Felt sorry for the crew of Eddystone who were coupling up to the ECS at the time.

Attached Files:

18. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

I can’t but help imagine how good apple-green would look in the pouring rain….

19. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

Well, well, 3 BLP's and a U.
    Anyway one else looking forward to 53's return?

20. Gladiator 5076

At rest at the end of its final day of footplate visits. A chance image as it was my turn to do the evening meal for my dad who is still not mobile.

Attached Files:

Sunnieboy likes this.