If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The 701 is also connected to the RMT guard dispute.
    https://www.railmagazine.com/news/n...on-aventra-unveiled-but-entry-delayed-to-2020
    So testing it first in July with diesels on a quiet non mainline line might have advantages for SWR?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I suspect it is a little more nuanced than that. If a particular large scale project is supported by a charity or external funding agency from ring-fenced funds then - subject to the constraints of social distancing - there is no financial reason not to press ahead, since the funds can't be used for anything else anyway, and keeping some activity going will potentially keep people occupied / employed. The money has little value sitting in the bank.

What's probably more likely to fall by the way side are maintenance projects funded from revenue: I can see some lines cutting back sharply on all but essential track and rolling stock maintenance for a winter or two in order to conserve cash.

It's the fixed unavoidable costs that are likely to be really troublesome for some lines, notably those with significant staff costs.

Talking about acquiring assets, and in particular land, seems like flogging a dead horse in the current situation: there is unlikely to be any money to do so even if the land holders were willing to sell. Perhaps more conceivable would be a (relatively) cash-rich charity buying assets back from the associated operating company as a way of being able to fund operating company revenue in a way that meets the charitable principles: that has already been seen with support from the M&GN Soc to the North Norfolk Railway in buying a locomotive and a crane.

Tom

Matt78 likes this.
  3. 60044

60044 Member

Big projects usually require a degree of matched funding, though, and if that is in the form of cash it is usually provided for by an appeal, which will conflict with any "staying afloat" appeals. Even where the matched funding is largely provided by volunteer labour, social distancing rules may bring work to a halt - so either way work may come to a halt.

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Tom, you forgot to mention that the scenario above applies everywhere except West Somerset...

Keith

johnofwessex and Wenlock like this.
  5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    While I'd certainly not disagree with the thrust of your post, I was speaking merely in general terms. The nature of anything likely to be viewed as "overextended finances" (some resulting from significant capital outlay, some from what are probably most tactfully termed "systemic operational issues") will vary, from case to case. There's no one set of circumstances common across our whole sector .... well, not beyond miniature lines, and even then, by no means all of them.

Paulthehitch likes this.
  6. Andy Moody

Andy Moody Member

Retired
    Whats this got to do with the Swanage railway?
    Looks as if it is sooner than that! RTT shows Sunday 14th June 2020, 6X80 2036 Eastleigh Works to Wareham arr 2217 dep 2219 Worgret Jn 2219-0014 Wareham 0017
    6Z70 0200 Wareham to Eastleigh East Yard.
    If indeed it is 701002, hauled by a Diesel, (Top and tailed?) I am going to guess that the country end DL (and barrier wagons) remain on the Swanage branch, I assume the Network rail side of the boundary and the 701 is hauled back to Wareham, then I suggest the class 701 will work to Weymouth and back with I suspect at least one short trip to Dorchester and back to Weymouth.
    This would be done under "engineers occupation" arrangements. The section between Wareham and Weymouth is a Test Track.
    I'm unclear if the Swanage Railway is involved and certainly there is no chance of any diesels on a quiet non mainline line !

biggles200 likes this.
  7. Mogul

Mogul Member

The latest E-mail from the Chairman, Gavin Johns, to SR Volunteers arrived this morning has announced the restarting of services on the SR.

It appears to be a pre-book only diesel train ride out and back from Swanage starting mid July.
    A slightly unusual offering reflecting the strange times in which we live.

I paste the relevant part of the e-mail.

"Summer 2020 service.
    The Board has agreed plans to prepare for a summer service this year from mid July.

It will be a challenge from many angles, as coronavirus restrictions impact considerably on how the train service can be presented. Adherence to current restrictions is a critical need of both staff (supported by the recent Volunteer Survey) and customers alike. To ensure social distancing train capacity is necessarily significantly reduced, to 18-20%. Other factors being addressed through the detailed risk assessment lead to a conclusion that initially we will test the market with a pre-booked out-and-back excursion from Swanage not stopping at any other station for passenger purposes. The traction will be diesel, to minimise initial financial risk. A plan to introduce steam at a later date in the summer is being developed. The plan will be flexible so that we can quickly respond to changes in restrictions and feedback from our customers and staff. As we get further into the preparation stages essential staff will be brought back from furlough to support delivery of the service, and all staff involved will receive briefings on the new arrangements in place to ensure both their own and our customers safety.

There are a number of key tests that have to be satisfied in order to take the final decision to operate - the current status is noted in colour:

1. Government guidance permits operation and for staff and customers to travel to the Railway. Awaited from the Government.
    2. The business case is positive making a profit. Outline business case confirmed: final details awaited.
    3. Sufficient volunteers are prepared to support operation of the service. Confirmed.
    4. All Departments have declared operational readiness to start services. Preparations in hand.
    "

8. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    IS there any news of work restarting on overhauls, as three engines's tickets (T9, the 4MT and the U-boat) run out this year, leaving only Squadron and Sir Keith...

9. Josh Voce

Josh Voce New Member

Im sorry but the information you have on two of those locomotives boiler tickets is incorrect. Only the T9 is currently scheduled to come out of service this year. Obviously things can change if defects are found but that is the current situation.

biggles200 likes this.
  10. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

I think workshops can reopen now providing the risk assessments, distancing, procedures and precautions are in place and the workshop management agree. However if there are costs then as the SR are trying to reduce outgoings, it might not restart overhaul work?

ady likes this.
  11. seawright

seawright New Member

Did the 6X70 2036 Eastleigh Works Gbrf to Wareham service last night remain on NR metals or did it have to approach Norden gates to exchange the token picked up at Wareham before Basingstoke control centre could clear PW5750 signal to allow access back onto the mainline?

During such moves is there a requirement for Corfe Castle signal box to be manned? I noticed, on the webcam there, someone wearing a Hi-Vis surcoat crossing the line at 2306 last night.

Wenlock likes this.
  12. 30854

Retired
    Reported 'elsewhere', following unladen test runs, it seems the Sandbanks Ferry has now restarted.

13. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Although not exactly busy it seems
    upload_2020-6-15_12-34-26.png

Wenlock and nine elms fan like this.
  14. 30854

Retired
    Let's face it, if you can afford to live round Sandbanks, you can probably afford the helicopter to get in and out! :D

15. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

just one ?

John Petley and 30854 like this.
  16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Forget about his and her cars on the drive, in Sandbanks, they have his and her Helicopter's, and a cruiser tied up at the jetty :D

17. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    It did come onto SR metals in clearing PW5750, and further than originally planned partly due to a desire to have suitable footing alongside the train for staff to work safely.

Corfe Castle is required to be staffed in order to release a token from the remote instrument at Wareham for the single line section, in the process giving Basingstoke a slot on the section signal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Sunnieboy likes this.
  18. biggles200

biggles200 Member

retired and holding on
    Reported 'elsewhere', following unladen test runs, it seems the Sandbanks Ferry has now restarted.

According to the ferry website it is due to start on 17th June and it will be carrying foot passengers as well. Haven Hotel Webcam shows it parked at Shell bay side and not moving.

Condor Rapide went for sea trials today, so it is all about preparation.

Lets not get too excited as there are still in the region of 1500 new cases a day, so I cannot see the railways starting for sometime yet.

19. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

So was the train on Sunday night/Monday morning at Worgret Jn the new class 701s testing with 66775 (not 66740) and 66745

20. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    From Southern Locomotives Website, April News:
    It does go on to say...
    ... But I somehow doubt that would be done in time for the 2021 Season.

The U Boat's ticket was reported as running out early 2021 in Steam Railway, admittedly you could take this as misleading as its the press not the railway itself, however the Swanage Railway Moguls Website have stated it is due to run out in 2021.

So unless extensions are on the cards, next season, provided that Covid-19 has buggered off by that point (and thats not certain I know) it will leave 34053, and 34072...