If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. biggles200

biggles200 Member

retired and holding on
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    34053 and 31806 return next week Latest edition of "Swanning Arround" https://www.srstaff.co.uk/swanningaround/swanningsep2519.pdf

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    joe_issitt, JMJR1000 and Sunnieboy like this.
  2. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Hopefully both the railcar operation to Wareham will be in opatuon in 2020 and tours will co exist?
    The Mayflower is on the way to Swanage.
    Notice it had a support coach will 31806 need one if it goes mainline?

Attached Files:

3. Standard by 4

Standard by 4 New Member

Looking back at last November with the Swanage very enjoyable S&D weekend any chance of something similar this November? Maybe a Bulleid weekend with the two train service time table? 53 and 72 crossing at Harmans.

4. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Would be difficult to see it not needing one although some have been shared. For example 60009 and 61994 I believe shared one and the WCRC must rotate around their fleet of loocs. Of course you would also need a mainline support crew with all the appropriate NR requirements passed as well.

5. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

31806 has been mainline registered primarily just to run into Wareham. There may be other trips around the local area with the 5 mainline registered coaches. However it won’t be on the same scale as WCRC tours, so would a support coach really be needed? Just stock the existing brake van up with some tools and supplies, and it’ll probably always have the 33 on the back to tow it back to Swanage if necessary.

Mogul and Bean-counter like this.
  6. biggles200

biggles200 Member

retired and holding on
    This is a quote from the Mogul website "We also intend to run 31806 on the mainline again in 2020 and to this end, the engine has to be in the best mechanical condition possible. It may well run a mainline tour or test run in 2019 but we will have to wait and see how things pan out with the reassembly."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. Alan Kebby

31806 has had a pretty major overhaul of the bottom end recently. However doesn’t it only have a year or two left on the boiler certificate?

Perhaps there is a plan to fast track the boiler overhaul? Possibly using 31625s boiler?

Mogul likes this.
  8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Railtours to Swanage currently have diesel haulage back to So'ton then steam via Romsey because the Swanage turntable is too small to turn the locos that bring the railtours in. What locos could it accommodate? Might two small ones double-heading work? Or is that a non-starter?

9. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The largest engine it can accommodate is a 76 standard, so even something like a pair of Black 5’s would be a non-starter including turning at Swanage.

10. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

From
    http://swanagemoguls.com/aboutthelocos/u-class-31806-bio/
    "It’s Boiler ticket expires in 2021" so could be used in 2020 on the mainline if a operator licence can be sorted?
    Guess the main Wareham service will be the railcars, but to have 31806 and a 33 sometimes, even to go beyond Wareham.
    2 issues could be steam one way to Wareham and diesel back to Swanage? And do the 5 Swanage based mk1 coaches have full door locking or will others have to be rented?

11. Alan Kebby

Even so in 2 years time 31806 will have an expired boiler ticket but presumably still be in otherwise good order. A boiler swap could be be a way to get it back in traffic quickly.

I don’t think the 5 Mk1s have door locking yet but I believe it will be fitted.

Mogul likes this.
  12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

After the time its taken to get the boiler from the N class done, they might as wall transfer the equipment on to the N, The boiler on 31806, has I believed not had any major plate work since its last major in Br days, so either must have been in very good order , so very likily to need attention, the boiler off 31625, has its own issues, but might be in better condition but neither boiler will be a quick job, and 31874's tender already has the mainline equipment fitted .
    As regards possible work on the main line, as I see it the best option is a circular tour out via Southampton and Eastleigh to Salisbury then to Yeovil service the loco, then down to Weymouth, tender first, run round back to wareham then run round, or have the 33 couple on and drag the tour to Swanage, but to make it pay, will need more than 5 MK1s, nearer to 8 assuming a mogul can manage 8 on the climb to Southampton

13. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    There's also a bit of a climb between Yeovil and Dorchester to consider. ;) <BJ>

14. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Not to mention the climb out of Weymouth to Dorchester.

15. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

The U I believe is a 4P/3F power classification. I do not see NR allowing it to haul 8 up Parkstone, Evershot or Upwey Banks. No idea what a max load was in steam days but I am sure it was not 8 for those climbs. (I think Upwey may have been 8 for a MN)
    Running round at Weymouth I understand is very difficult if not impossible these days and I do not believe you can run round at Wareham.
    Also where are all the passengers going to come from a such a train? Sure some of the enthusiast community may travel down, but it will not offer dining or first, unless you look at hiring in WCRC stock (which you would need to do if you go over the 5 Swanage coaches) so the market in Dorset and Hampshire will I suggest be small. If you have to hire the stock, there two ECS moves with crews plus you will be hiring crews for the tour the price suddenly becomes very high I suggest. Even with 5 on I suggest you would need a diesel on the back for the reversals and perhaps NR "confidence"

michaelh likes this.
  16. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

If the running is only to Wareham, then probably not. The NYMR don't attach a 'support coach' for the Whitby runs.

Mogul likes this.
  17. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Why not a series of Swanage to Salisbury trains via Southampton and Eastleigh. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.

No serious inclines to contend with apart from Parkstone bank. <BJ>

18. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    It seems to me that because of the bank, Bournemouth to Salisbury might make more sense, or why not do The Salisbury 6? (Salisbury/Southampton returning via Chandlers Ford & being turned with the diesel on the triangle at Tunnel Junction)

19. biggles200

biggles200 Member

retired and holding on
    Carl Watson Photo 5th September [​IMG]

Mogul, Sunnieboy, gwalkeriow and 2 others like this.
  20. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

The DMU lower cost service for 2020 is looking more positive.

I notice on the LU 4TC and the 117 photos extra plates on the doors, with presumably electromagnets, have been added for central locking.
    To add them to SR's existing Mk1s for a 31806 mainline steam tour is possible, but may be expensive, and payback may not be after several full tours, but with the growing interest in steam tours may be worthwhile (even hiring in suitable coaches to get started). Will need funds upfront, a good accountant and marketting agent to confirm the financial risk?