If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Special fares includes travel on the 'feeder service' - especially useful if one prefers to park one's car at Norden rather than Swanage with all 60103's trips starting/finishing at Swanage - and also permits access to specific viewing areas.

2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

The visit of 60103 in 1994 created unprecedented passenger figures on the Railway. You must have been lucky to find it " ... was pretty much just a normal service day ... " as many, many days were sellouts and I was fortunate enough to drive FS on some of them.
    I suspect the current 'hire/steaming' fees charges are some order of magnitude bigger than 1994.
    I hope people do not take silly risks. There are a reasonable number of countryside sites available for non-lineside shots using telephoto lenses.

3. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Special fares includes travel on the 'feeder service' - especially useful if one prefers to park one's car at Norden rather than Swanage with all 60103's trips starting/finishing at Swanage - and also permits access to specific viewing areas.
    Whether the special fares prove to be too much remains to be seen I guess.

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To be fair though, those costs would be incurred at other railways hosting FS - I know at the Bluebell, the ticket price included travel on all other trains during the day etc. allowing a feeder service from East Grinstead for those coming from that end of the line. Tickets were £35 for adults, £17.50 for children. Swanage tickets are AFAICS £40 with no child discount. As you say, will be interesting to see whether it sells out - fair play to Swanage if it does.

Tom

2392 and Bean-counter like this.
  5. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Prices for the visit of 4488 UoS.A. at the NYMR end of March early April
    Adults £35.00, Children £17.50 and Family £72.00 (2 Adult + 2 Children, 1-15 years)
    So £5 extra for a celebrity loco doesn't seem to be so bad, especially for us 'rich' Southerners :):);)

Rumpole likes this.
  6. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Rich Southerners? Speak for yourself! We will go anyway but as much for 30120 and 34072 as 60103. Also to support our favourite line.

Sunnieboy and Daddsie71b like this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Even at that price, I'm sure I'll be there purely because my son has wanted to travel on the Flying Moneypit for as long as I can remember and it didn't help when I had the "pleasure" as part of my duties in 2017 (as well as on Swanage back in '94).

8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

You do get to go a good bit further behind the engine on the NYMR, though, and it is made to bark rather more loudly as it goes from Grosmont to Goathland or Levisham to Goathland.

Davo and Greenway like this.
  9. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

Why not look at it for what it really is, a fund raising event where if you give £40 to the railway you get a ride behind Flying Scotsman. Your money then helps the railway out and helps it survive.

10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Because if that’s all it is, it deserves to fail. Swanage are charging £40 for Flying Scotsman trips, which if I was paying would seriously need to justify the fare.

If they can make it work, they have my congratulations. But it is a commercial venture, not an appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    It is not aimed at enthusiasts. There are many affluent people in Dorset/Hampshire and I`m sure they will have no difficulty filling the trains.

12. WishIHadAName

WishIHadAName New Member

It is a commercial venture Im sure but where do all the profits go? Back into the railway?

13. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Certainly seems to be a lot of jealousy and sour grapes, going around over the visit of Flying Scotsman. As a member of the aforementioned NYMR they "cashed in" on 'Scotsman's visit back in 2016 and had quite a hefty cash windfall, as fellow member Bean-counter/Steven would testify. Thing that makes me laugh/smile at that event was when "Mr Master Shot" was so busy with his state of the art camera, he edged nearer and nearer to the edge of Platform 2 at Grosmont and promptly stepped off, thankfully no harm was done as 'Scotsman was stationary, other than to Mr Master Shots' pride!

I say why not "cash in" and use any profit to finance over and above other projects, that aren't necessarily as fashionable as say restoring 563 the LSWR 4-4-0 they inherited from the NRM.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    D8568, Sunnieboy, Steve and 1 other person like this.
  14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The NYMR certainly did cash in on the visit of Scotsman. I've forgotten the exact figure but it was a lot. They have continued to put on similar events since, using Royal Scot and Tornado and this year Union of South Africa. However, these are aimed more at the corporate market with pre-booked seats rather than Joe Public or the enthusiast. That approach seems to work.

2392 likes this.
  15. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Certainly a way of generating extra cash at a low point. At the start of the season, which for most lines is around Mid-March/Easter. So good for Swanage following suit and an example for others including the "big league outfits" out there to follow, if they get the chance. Any profits being used to help with the bank balance, workshops [for all stock not just the locos], trackwork etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Ian Milne likes this.
  16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

On the Bluebell, some of the income from FS is being put towards permanent volunteer accommodation.

Tom

CH 19, 2392 and Greenway like this.
  17. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Project Wareham still needs funds, so I assume it will go in that direction.

Its just a pity that they do not have any mainline registered passenger carrying stock. Top and tailing with the U into Wareham would be a money spinner, hang on, that's for next year ;)

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    On what basis do you say that it would be a money spinner to do this? It only becomes a money spinner when the additional income exceeds the additional expenditure by a substantial amount and the additional expenditure will be quite significant if you add in everything needed to do it.

19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Indeed, and I wish them luck. My comment was aimed at those suggesting it was just a form of donation to the railway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Absolutely. And so any losses should (God forbid) they arise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk