If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Swanage Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rumpole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Pollution! what pollution....

Attached Files:

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Early steam locomotives generally ran on coke. It wasn't until the invention of the brick arch and associated deflector plate that things started to change.

2392 likes this.
  3. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

It does seem a shame that Gladiator has left NP; his photographs appear to have been appreciated by many here.
    However, there does seem to be some 'playing to the gallery' effects by certain people working on heritage lines. There is much evidence here and elsewhere where it is assumed that providing much smoke and steam is what the photographers want. Maybe the majority of mobile 'phone photographers like it, but most professional or semi-professional people manage quite well without it.
    There are many instances where well meaning, but misguided, people take on a 'theatrical' role believing it impresses the paying public. For the most part it does not, but it often conveys the well worn "playing with trains" soubriquet.
    'Professionalism' should be the mantra for all heritage lines, not just the more successful ones.

Sheff, 2392, Hampshire Unit and 7 others like this.
  4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Good to see the T9 out and about again today, hauling 5 green Mk.1s. <BJ>.

5. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I know it is the season for secret Santa's but secret Flying Scotsman?

Was at Swanage yesterday, nice day out in the sunshine, no mention of a visiting engine in April.

Up at West Somerset today, chatting to a porter who tells me that Flying Scotsman is visiting Swanage in April.

I would have thought they (Swanage) would have been shouting it from the rooftops and sorting out advanced ticket sales etc.....if it were true, of course.

6. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

If that’s true then that’s fantastic.

7. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Maybe they are sorting out advanced ticket sales, but need to confirm the final details, prices etc before issuing a press release.

Just because you have heard it through the grapevine, doesn’t mean Swanage are ready to announce it yet.

Or if course it may not be true!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

To find out if it is true keep an eye on this page which is the official website for Scotsman's ML and Heritage Railway visit schedule: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0pz2qba6jbpJH3QeC35Ltv&cshid=1546110101674

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Daddsie71b likes this.
  9. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

It seems that discussion in this thread about whether the Swanage Railway will be running a regular service into Wareham in 2019 was overtaken by other matters back on December 7th?
    Given the total lack of info about this on the SR website (as far as I can see), would I be right in thinking that this won’t be happening in 2019? This is just a friendly question from a regular visitor, currently using train & bus, but sometimes forced to drive by poor connections etc!

oliversbest likes this.
  10. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

I thought the Wareham DMUs were due back from Eastleigh in the Autumn . However as far as I know they are still at Eastleigh. Are timescales slipping?

11. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

The SR had its class 108 DMU up for sale in anticipation one would think. Has it been sold as yet? also has the apparently successful SWR Saturday service to Corfe caused any new thinking on this matter?

12. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

When at Swanage the other day, rumour had it that one of the engines were f****d, More money required.
    Plus the paperwork is not in order for main line running.
    Money is running out.

Worried!

13. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Pinch an engine from the 108?

Over the winter period last year, the Swanage railway managed to successfully mainline register 5 mk1s. They already have one mainline registered diesel. In hindsight, one can’t help thinking that getting another mainline registered diesel or two and running them with the mk1s would have been an easier, quicker and cheaper option.

The SWR service was very successful (when they weren’t on strike). Continuing and expanding this seems a sensible option (if it weren’t for all the money already put into the 117 and bubble car).

14. Springs Branch

Springs Branch New Member

Retired
    Depends what you class as successful. How much more subsidy will the LA put in?

15. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    The were registered to be 'hauled' on the mainline for the 'U-Boat' test, but they still don't have central door locking. So can't be used for passenger carrying mainline trains yet...

Well maybe but some people are a bit nervous about SWR or any other mainliner company potentially 'taking over'. And the money was given in the understanding Swanage run it themselves!!!

16. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

True, but Eastleigh works fitted central door locking to the 4TC (as well as completely overhauling it) within a few months. They’ve had the 117 and bubble car for approaching 4 years with no end in sight.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it’s plain to see now that MK1s would have been an easier option.

It’s understandable people have concerns about an outside operator coming in. However it would allow the SR to concentrate on its steam service, with the provision of mainline registered DMUs being someone else’s problem.

17. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Although I believe it has been indicated this will have to change, Mark 1s still used on the Network have Secondary Door Bolts operated by door stewards (and it seems passengers, who read the 'Emergency Instructions' or can guess how a brass door bolt works!), not Central Door Locks. They do so under the series of exemptions required for Mark 1s to operate on the Network (itself an illegal act without such exemptions!)

As for SWR providing the service, the leasing costs of modern stock would probably make this a non-starter. For some time, there has been a massive shortage of stock, especially DMUs, and while new stock is planned for introduction on an 'unprecedented scale (according to the Rail Delivery Group today) over the next year or so, surplus stock is till some way away.

What I suspect may be causing the delay (or rather lack of solid news) may well be the Swanage obtaining its Operators Licence and Track Access Contract - Wareham is rather a different location to Cromer or Whitby!

Steven

18. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

We will have to wait and see what happens then. Hopefully all problems will be resolved and the SR will run Wareham services in 2019, even if things get a bit tighter than they would have liked.

If not, hopefully the SWR service will run again so that it is still possible to visit Swanage by train.

19. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a good job they got rid of all those dirty smoky steam trains. :);):eek:

nine elms fan likes this.
  20. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Thank you. I think that the possibility of visiting Swanage by train is the lynchpin to turning this around. Can a case be made to DCC and other government bodies about the cost of restoring stock and operating a train service as against constant road improvements and traffic congestion. Purbeck is a desirable destination and wiil be all the more so when accessible by rail from the Wareham connection.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019